Survival Gear

Old February 10th 04, 12:54 PM
vincent p. norris

..... you can cut seatbelts

Isn't it easier just to unfasten them?

vince norris
Old February 10th 04, 02:15 PM
EDR

What is the best metal/guage/length of wire to carry for snares?
Old February 11th 04, 01:53 AM
Dale

In article ,
vincent p. norris wrote:

..... you can cut seatbelts

Isn't it easier just to unfasten them?

Yes, assuming you can get to the release. After a crash you may have
shift enough that you won't be able to release the seatbelt.

I know of one case where a floatplane flipped upside down in shallow
water. The pilot was still strapped in and couldn't release due to the
new upholstery being thicker than the original and the buckle being
outboard so that it was jammed against the armrest by the pilots weight.
Rescuers were attempting to get him out and handed him a knife, after a
moment he handed the knife back. The airplane sank and he died.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 11th 04, 02:28 AM
tony roberts

..... you can cut seatbelts

Isn't it easier just to unfasten them?

Yes it is -
Unless you are hanging upside down, disoriented, unable to see . . .
Also, it isn't just for you - it's for your passengers too - if they are
hanging in the belt unconscious cutting the belt may be the only option,
particularly if fire/sinking/whatever make it time critical.

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old February 11th 04, 02:38 AM
tony roberts

In article ,
EDR wrote:

What is the best metal/guage/length of wire to carry for snares?

It depends on what you want to snare. For a pocket survival tool I buy a
light copper snare wire and it comes in a roll of about 15 ft. It only
weighs a few ounces. I like copper as when it is used as a snare it
doesn't stand out like steel does.

It has many survival uses. I teach a basic survival course and my
favourite use for it is tie together the poles to errect a signalfire
tower - it continues to hold when the fire takes off - unlike string
which lets the whole lot fall apart . It is also great for fastening
the materials for your shelter, it is great to hold on your makeshift
snowshoes, it can be used to repair things, and to cut with. It can bind
a sharp stone to a pole to make a spear, and you can fish with it. And
it can be used as snare wire. The one that I use is good for birds,
rabbits, squirrels etc, and used in 2 or 3 loops it would be useable on
larger game.

HTH

Tony

--

Tony Roberts
PP-ASEL
Old February 11th 04, 12:12 PM
vincent p. norris

Isn't it easier just to unfasten them?

Yes it is -
Unless you are hanging upside down, disoriented, unable to see . . .

Sorry, Tony, I just don't find that persuasive. If you're "hanging
upside down, disoriented, unable to see," you're going to have a lot
more trouble finding your tool, unhooking it from your belt, etc.,
than opening a seat belt buckle you've done hundreds of times before.

vince norris
Old February 12th 04, 12:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

"vincent p. norris" wrote:

If you're "hanging
upside down, disoriented, unable to see," you're going to have a lot
more trouble finding your tool, unhooking it from your belt, etc.,
than opening a seat belt buckle you've done hundreds of times before.

Next time you're in a plane, try this. Fasten the belt. Then raise your body
as far off the seat as you can with your legs, putting as much pressure as you
can on the belt. Then try to open it.

If it's like mine, you won't be able to do it.

You'll have more pressure than that on the belt if you're upside down.

George Patterson
A diplomat is a person who can tell you to go to hell in such a way that
you look forward to the trip.
Old February 12th 04, 12:36 AM
Ron McKinnon

"vincent p. norris" wrote in message
Isn't it easier just to unfasten them?

Yes it is -
Unless you are hanging upside down, disoriented, unable to see . . .

Sorry, Tony, I just don't find that persuasive. If you're "hanging
upside down, disoriented, unable to see," you're going to have a lot
more trouble finding your tool, unhooking it from your belt, etc.,
than opening a seat belt buckle you've done hundreds of times before.

Or, perhaps something is jammed against the release, or against the harness
so you just can't access the release. Or the harness is tangled with
something or the release is mangled somehow. Or your hand/arm that should
operate the release is broken, or, your passenger can't get to his release
and you can only reach some other part of their harness ...

Old February 12th 04, 01:37 AM
Newps

Isn't it easier just to unfasten them?

Yes it is -
Unless you are hanging upside down, disoriented, unable to see . . .

Are you saying the seatbelt is no longer around your waist?

Old February 13th 04, 12:15 PM
vincent p. norris

Next time you're in a plane, try this. Fasten the belt. Then raise your body
as far off the seat as you can with your legs, putting as much pressure as you
can on the belt. Then try to open it.

If it's like mine, you won't be able to do it.

Fair enough; I'll try it. But if that's the case, I think it would be
smart to replace the buckle.

vince norris