Busy airports and small GA

Old July 22nd 08, 11:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

Default Busy airports and small GA

On Jul 21, 8:40*am, Gig 601Xl Builder
wrote:
Mxsmanic wrote:
What is the largest/busiest airport you've flown into or out of in a small GA
aircraft as a private pilot, and was it IFR or VFR? *What was the attitude of
the ATC in the area towards pilots like yourself moving about in an area
normally dominated by airliners and commercial flights?

DFW, nice as they could be, VFR.

When I was at Le Tourneau University we had to do a cross country into
DFW. I don't remember if it was in an Aztec or a Warrior but they
vectored me all over the metroplex before letting me in. It took
almost an hour to get on the ground after crossing over Dallas in
order to go pay the $50-$60 (don't remember exactly how much, long
time ago) landing fee. ATC & ground seemed a little more abrupt with
me but that could've just been my own nerves going into DFW & thinking
they were hating me for it.
The most challenging part of this flight was getting to the GA area
after landing. Even with detailed progressive taxiing and a detailed
ground map on my lap it took a lot of concentration and time to get to
parking, took nearly 30 min I believe with lots of holding short.

Ricky
Old July 22nd 08, 11:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Noel

Default OT: xyzzy

In article ,
"Jon Woellhaf" wrote:

Just curious ... How many of you know the origin of xyzzy, without cheating
and looking it up?

yo

--
Bob Noel
(goodness, please trim replies!!!)

Old July 23rd 08, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Wanttaja

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 13:28:25 -0600, "Jon Woellhaf"
wrote:

Just curious ... How many of you know the origin of xyzzy, without cheating
and looking it up?

And a hollow voice says, "Cretin...."

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 23rd 08, 02:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jon

On Jul 22, 4:40*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
Jon wrote:
On Jul 22, 3:39*pm, Jim Logajan wrote:
"Jon Woellhaf" wrote:
Just curious ... How many of you know the origin of xyzzy, without
cheating and looking it up?

Does that question interest you?

Nothing happens.

Does it please you to know nothing happens?

I'm in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Please go on.

Let's just say that I do recall eventually seeing the Fortran code
for it

Why do you recall eventually seeing the Fortran code for it?

(a port to MNF for a CDC 6400), a few years after I'd played it on a
110 baud Teletype(R). That was about thirty years ago.

Can you elaborate on that?

--------------

Who remembers that, w/o looking it up? *

Again, I do - and I didn't need a therapist to help me remember.

Then it's a good thing I'm not a therapist
Old July 23rd 08, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
buttman

On Jul 22, 2:28*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
I thought a FBO was a private enterprise that operated on the premises of the
airport, not part of the airport mangement itself. *What exactly is the
relationship of the FBO to the airport? *Can't there be multiple FBOs at an
airport?

They can act as a middleman that just collects the fee then hands it
off to the airport management.

In the case of a large airport with multiple FBOs, I believe the way
it works is the FBOs are required to pay the airport a fee for each
airplane they service. "Service" here means fuel, oxygen fill-up,
parking space, hangar space, etc. If you don't use the services of an
FBO, then you don't owe anybody anything.

In my instructing days I remember a fellow instructor took a Seminole
to LAX just for the hell of it. He made sure to not stop anywhere
because they'd charge him a landing fee which he would have had to pay
out of his pocket. Instead he just taxied back to the departure and
and took off to Ontario or something where he could get fuel without a
landing fee.
Old July 23rd 08, 06:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
yod-yog+ais

On 7/22/2008 1:26 PM Mxsmanic ignored two million years of human
evolution to write:

I do.

So?
Old July 23rd 08, 01:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Jon Woellhaf writes:

Just curious ... How many of you know the origin of xyzzy, without
cheating and looking it up?

I do.

No you don't.

Bertie
Old July 23rd 08, 01:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

on 7/22/2008 11:55 AM xyzzy said the following:
On Jul 20, 12:28 pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
What is the largest/busiest airport you've flown into or out of in a small GA
aircraft as a private pilot, and was it IFR or VFR? What was the attitude of
the ATC in the area towards pilots like yourself moving about in an area
normally dominated by airliners and commercial flights?

Dulles, VFR in a Warrior.

They vectored me all over the place to keep me out of the way of the
airliners and IFR traffic (it was CAVU day), I was definitely their
lowest priority and for about 1/2 hour I got a tour of the ADIZ while
they kept pushing me out of the way. Then let me land on 19L (with a
13 mile final during a break in airliner traffic and asked if I
could make the first high-speed turnoff (ummm, yes).

Their attitude was fine, but they clearly were rusty on dealing with
VFR traffic

Chicago Midway VFR in a 172, coming in from the northwest. Other than
approach keeping me low for last 15 miles or so, no issues at all. They
clearly were used to spamcans in the wake of the shutdown of Meigs.
Departure was really interesting as I was the only prop plane in sight,
taxiing with Southwest 737s and bizjets.

Also did VFR into Calgary in a 182. They put me on a looong straight-in
to 34, but had me do a wide 360 to one side to let an Airbus in past me.
Best part was asking me if I could accept LAHSO in the 8600 feet
available before 10-28 crossed.

Old July 23rd 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter Clark

On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 06:12:32 -0700 (PDT), buttman
wrote:

we never visit a FBO, and therefore never pay anything. I know for a
fact we flew into Toronto a few months ago, dropped off at some cargo
hangar, filed our flight plan back to KYIP, then took right back off.
Later I looked it up, and there is indeed a landing fee there that we
most certainly did not pay. All though they may have called one of our
dispatchers to collect the fee...

Depends on the airport. Places that don't collect the fee via the FBO
usually just mail a bill to the registered owner.