Saab question

Old August 24th 08, 02:27 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Therefore

Default Saab question

Hello
can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in their air forces

Also which craft and how many

T.I.A. ...................................Leslie

Old August 24th 08, 03:06 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JR[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 14:27:12 +0100, "Therefore"
wrote:

Hello
can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in their air forces

Also which craft and how many

T.I.A. ...................................Leslie

Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is having
more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps). Been sold to
Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe country (can't remember
which...)
Old August 24th 08, 03:30 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JR[_2_]

More info at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab
Old August 24th 08, 04:33 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Michael Huber[_2_]

JR wrote:

Been sold to
Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe country (can't remember
which...)

Hungary. Well, leased with option to buy after lease espires.
Old August 24th 08, 06:12 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

JR added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Hello
can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in
their air forces

Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is
having more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps).
Been sold to Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe
country (can't remember which...)

How large are these air forces, JR? I was also wondering about who
is using this plane. With the state of the armed forces in most
countries following drastic reductions once the Cold War was
presumed to be won, I wouldn't think they had that many fighter-
bombers of any manufacturer.

--
HP, aka Jerry

Don't be a fop or a blooter, make only pithy comments on Usenet

Old August 24th 08, 08:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Frank[_2_]

"HEMI-Powered" wrote in news:Xns9B04862708C29ReplyScoreID@
216.196.97.136:

JR added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Hello
can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in
their air forces

Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is
having more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps).
Been sold to Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe
country (can't remember which...)

How large are these air forces, JR? I was also wondering about who
is using this plane. With the state of the armed forces in most
countries following drastic reductions once the Cold War was
presumed to be won, I wouldn't think they had that many fighter-
bombers of any manufacturer.

Weren't there Czech rep markings in one or more of the pictures?
Old August 24th 08, 09:39 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JR[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 12:12:45 -0500, "HEMI-Powered"
wrote:

JR added these comments in the current discussion du jour ...

Hello
can anyone please tell me which countries use the Saabs in
their air forces

Over the years? Finland, Denmark, Austria... the Grippen is
having more scucess (and the cold war is over, which helps).
Been sold to Thailand, South Africa and a eastern europe
country (can't remember which...)

How large are these air forces, JR? I was also wondering about who
is using this plane. With the state of the armed forces in most
countries following drastic reductions once the Cold War was
presumed to be won, I wouldn't think they had that many fighter-
bombers of any manufacturer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saab

All are pretty small, the buys being around 12-24 I think

But I find the South African buy significant. This is a country with
lots of combat experience using small numbers of multi-purpose
aircraft.
Old August 24th 08, 11:24 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
HEMI-Powered[_4_]

[...]

So the total for all countries is maybe 100 more or less? That
fits with my relatively uninformed view of Europe's armed forces.
As to South Africa, can't say I've even heard of their armed
forces in general much less "lots of combat experience" for
fighter-bombers. What wars or skirmishes have the SA's been
engaged in?

Old August 25th 08, 08:13 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
JR[_2_]

On Sun, 24 Aug 2008 17:24:22 -0500, "HEMI-Powered"
wrote:

As to South Africa, can't say I've even heard of their armed
forces in general much less "lots of combat experience" for
fighter-bombers. What wars or skirmishes have the SA's been
engaged in?

Mostly against Angola in the 80/90s. A few Mig vs Mirage fights +
ground support missions.