Komet trailer top pistons

Old September 8th 15, 01:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Komet trailer top pistons

Anyone have a source for Trailer top gas struts for a older Komet trailer

thanks,

heinz

Old September 8th 15, 03:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair[_2_]

Hi Heinzy,
I got Komet struts from Bansbach Easy Lift, Melbourne, Florida. Their web page has a neat "configurer" page where you plug in length, width, throw, N, etc.
I got N2B1-44-350-802-001/1600N...........the 1600N is just about right for a1978 Komet with elevator on the lid. Took them about 4 weeks, they are made in Germany, but you only pay US shipping costs ($275 total).
Changing them was exciting, I hoisted the lid from the shop roof peak, but full open doesn't take the load off the bolts! The hinge bracket bolts must be loosened to allow the top to open another 1/2", then the strut bolts can be removed. At this point you have a couple hundred pound top suspended from a block & tackle hooked around the aft handles. I backed things up with wooden braces, just in case !!
Have Fun,
JJ
Old September 8th 15, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 8:24:28 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Anyone have a source for Trailer top gas struts for a older Komet trailer

thanks,

heinz

Thanks JJ

Just put too strong a set on a open class trailer with bucket loader, can't close it so we get to practice the program again!!
Old September 8th 15, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Tuesday, September 8, 2015 at 11:14:09 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Just put too strong a set on a open class trailer with bucket loader,
can't close it so we get to practice the program again!!

Or, drink a lot more beer...

PS: Bansbach also makes the pedal-unlock struts used in some wing-riggers,
for example IMI uses these on request for two-seater wing riggers.
We'll see if I can solo rig the new toy (or, if I end up dangling from
the back of the trailer trying to close it, not drinking enough beer ;-)
Old September 9th 15, 06:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]

On Tuesday, 8 September 2015 14:24:28 UTC+2, wrote:
Anyone have a source for Trailer top gas struts for a older Komet trailer

thanks,

heinz

Hey Heinz,

Let me know if I can help you out from this side of the world. About time I repaid a few favours.
Ross
Old September 11th 15, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I got them from Bansbach in Florida also. Mine were in stock, delivery was just a few days. Cost for two was around $150. replacing was easy. First remove the nuts holding the old ones in. Then get a few strong gorillas to lift up the trailer top. Pop the old one out, pop the new one in. Replace the nuts. Then do the same on the other side.

John

Komet Trailer Parts Dan Mockler Soaring 3 May 1st 12 05:31 PM
Komet trailer painting jim Soaring 2 March 9th 10 05:12 PM
Trailer tires for old (1981) Komet Trailer [email protected] Soaring 3 May 13th 09 10:24 PM
Komet Trailer gas struts HL Falbaum[_2_] Soaring 13 February 1st 09 02:05 PM
Old Komet Trailer thermalrider Soaring 7 October 11th 08 04:13 PM