VFR Practise Approaches

Old September 28th 10, 07:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

Default VFR Practise Approaches

Mxsmanic wrote:

Mike Adams writes:

About the only exception I can think of is an ILS that's
slightly offset from the runway alignment, but I don't
know of one that's more than a few degrees.

Even in that case, you can still practice the instrument approach
under VFR in VMC. I'm not sure why an offset ILS would be an
exception, since there is still a corresponding instrument procedure
to practice.

The point you raised was about tracking the ILS while making a straight in VFR approach. My only point
was that if it's an offset localizer (in the extreme) the tower might not think you're making a straight in
approach. If the tower has approved you doing a practice ILS approach that's a different situation.

Mike
Old September 28th 10, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Bob Moore

Mike Adams wrote
The point you raised was about tracking the ILS while making a
straight in VFR approach. My only point was that if it's an offset
localizer (in the extreme) the tower might not think you're making a
straight in approach. If the tower has approved you doing a practice
ILS approach that's a different situation.

The term "straight-in approach" is used rather broadly just to distinguish
the approach from "flying the pattern" or "join a left base", etc.

Bob Moore
Old September 28th 10, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sep 28, 11:22*am, Mike Adams wrote:
" wrote:
On Sep 26, 4:58*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
On Sep 22, 6:22*pm, Mxsmanic wrote:

For example, if you are told to make straight in to the airport
and you wish
to capture and follow the ILS for your approach, nothing prevents
you *from
doing so, and it's legal as long as the primary means of
navigation remains VFR.

NOT ALWAYS......

Describe the exceptions, then.

NO

I have to agree with MX. Why not provide some examples?

Because he knows it all in his simulated world.

In the REAL world, think Bravo and you will see why I said not always.
Old September 29th 10, 03:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Mike Adams writes:

The point you raised was about tracking the ILS while making
a straight in VFR approach. My only point was that if it's an
offset localizer (in the extreme) the tower might not think
you're making a straight in approach. If the tower has approved
you doing a practice ILS approach that's a different situation.

The large fudge factor allowed for straight-in VFR is so generous that it
should easily cover the small offset of an offset localizer or LDA approach.
Even an LDA approach should not be more than 6 degrees from the centerline,
which is trivial compared with VFR tolerances. "Straight-in" doesn't mean that
you have to be on the centerline 20 miles out (although you can be if you
want). It just means that you're not flying the pattern.

However, your point is taken, in that some instrument procedures might depart
sufficiently from normal VFR behavior that you'll probably want ATC to approve
of them before you practice them under VFR, so that they know why you don't
seem to be following the pattern. A circling approach would be one example.
That's why I mentioned an ILS approach, which looks just like a straight-in
approach under VFR.
Old September 29th 10, 08:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sep 29, 9:06*am, Mxsmanic wrote:
writes:
In the REAL world, think Bravo and you will see why I said not always.

If you are thinking Class B, you can do what you want in Class B,

WRONG. I DO WHAT ATC WANTS.

But I fly in the real world to know this.
Old September 29th 10, 08:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr

On Sep 29, 9:01*am, Mxsmanic wrote:

That's why I mentioned an ILS approach, which looks just like a straight-in
approach under VFR.

WRONG.

YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT CONSIDERING THERE IS MORE TO A GLIDE SLOPE TO AN
ILS APPROACH IN RELATIONSHIP TO WHERE YOU ARE.

Old September 29th 10, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mike Adams[_2_]

writes:
In the REAL world, think Bravo and you will see why I said not always.

If you are thinking Class B, you can do what you want in Class B,

WRONG. I DO WHAT ATC WANTS.

But I fly in the real world to know this.

I think I'm participating in this discussion beyond the point of any value, but I fly in the real world too, and
have been given the instruction, "cleared into Bravo airspace, maintain own nav to XXXX". So, it is
definitely possible.

Back to the original question, are there any other cases (besides possibly the extremely offset localizer)
when you would not be able to track the ILS when doing a VFR straight-in approach?

Mike
Old September 29th 10, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

writes:

WRONG.

YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE NOT CONSIDERING THERE IS MORE TO A GLIDE SLOPE TO AN
ILS APPROACH IN RELATIONSHIP TO WHERE YOU ARE.

What?