Auto Tow Release System

Old July 31st 12, 04:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Randy Teel

Default Auto Tow Release System

Does anyone have an auto tow release system to sell that I could install on my Suburban receiver hitch?
I am also looking for an auto tensionmeter. I have not located any drawings or pictures except for what is
in my old SSA Soaring Flight Manual.

Thanks for your time!

Randy Teel
rgteel at mac.com
Old July 31st 12, 03:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Hi, Randy,

You should be able to find a Schweizer release and have it connected to a
draw bar with a sturdy gate hinge. You can run the release cable (rope)
through an eyelet (to maintain proper angle with the release) to the
driver's compartment. There's no need for a tensiometer - simply accelerate
as quickly as possible to about 65 mph and let the glider set the tension on
the rope.

At the risk of criticism, my former partner and I used to take our LS-6a on
safari using my truck as the launch vehicle. We simply tied the rope to the
trailer hitch and kept a large knife in the front seat. Of course, we used
a proper weak link (I broke it once!). We also had radio contact at all
times.

rgteel at mac.com

Falcon 9 interstage with fittings and release system brackets 081208 interstagepushers.jpg J3 Aviation Photos 0 December 24th 08 12:21 AM
System Operation of Aircraft System [email protected] Instrument Flight Rules 1 October 12th 07 06:50 AM
GPS 396 auto kit dlevy Owning 1 August 24th 06 03:43 PM
S-Tec System 20/30 Versus System 40/50 Marco Leon Piloting 3 November 9th 04 05:15 PM
Auto Coordination N14FA Simulators 5 February 2nd 04 12:55 AM