SSA.org director announcement

Old July 10th 03, 11:14 PM
Vaughn

Default SSA.org director announcement

I don't know anything about the new guy, but I would rather have a
non-flying professional CEO that knows what needs to be done (and does it)
than have some hotshot, contest-flying, badge-covered, amateur administrator
screw up what little is left of our organization. Intrepid flyer or not, I
wish him the best; we need it.

He deserves our support until the day (never I hope) when he proves not
to be worthy of it.

Vaughn

"Al" wrote in message
Er am I reading this wrong or is it my understanding he doesnt even fly
gliders?

Al

"Stewart Kissel" wrote in
message ...
A short statement on the new executive director is now on the news

sectio=
n at the SSA site.

Old July 10th 03, 11:56 PM
Larry Pardue

In article ,
"Vaughn" wrote:

I don't know anything about the new guy, but I would rather have a
non-flying professional CEO that knows what needs to be done (and does it)
than have some hotshot, contest-flying, badge-covered, amateur administrator
screw up what little is left of our organization. Intrepid flyer or not, I
wish him the best; we need it.

He deserves our support until the day (never I hope) when he proves not
to be worthy of it.

Vaughn

When the announcement was made about the new director, at the Region 9
contest at Hobbs, it was stated that he intends to earn a glider rating
within a specified period of time. I believe it was 90 days.

Incidently, the previous director had a glider rating but was not active.

Larry Pardue 2I
Old July 11th 03, 01:46 AM
F.L. Whiteley

He's getting the rating. It's my understanding that none of the six or so
soaring pilots that applied has the horsepower the search committee was
looking for. Of the forty(?) that applied, five percolated to the top and
Wright was the guy.

I still want the fostering the promoting of the amateur sport of soaring
returned as the vision of the society. Hope he can see this.

Frank Whiteley

Old July 11th 03, 05:03 AM
Al

"Larry Pardue" wrote in message
In article ,
"Vaughn" wrote:

I don't know anything about the new guy, but I would rather have a
non-flying professional CEO that knows what needs to be done (and does

it)
than have some hotshot, contest-flying, badge-covered, amateur

administrator
screw up what little is left of our organization. Intrepid flyer or

not, I
wish him the best; we need it.

He deserves our support until the day (never I hope) when he proves

not
to be worthy of it.

Vaughn

When the announcement was made about the new director, at the Region 9
contest at Hobbs, it was stated that he intends to earn a glider rating
within a specified period of time. I believe it was 90 days.

Well that gives me a warm fuzzy.. NOT....

Incidently, the previous director had a glider rating but was not active.

He wasnt active at anything except the computer scam, using the SSA credit
card to take the missus out to dinner etc etc...
I won't start on that topic again.

Rumour has it LS was still sitting at his desk when the drive to Kitty Hawk
came through town.

Al

Old July 11th 03, 08:36 PM
Mark James Boyd

I personally like leaders and administrators who are less involved
in the details, especially in larger organizations where
a good broad viewpoint is helpful.

I'm also interested in SSA doing more to recruit new members
as a focus and priority over its service to existing
members. I think that the marginal 20 hours or
two pages of Soaring magazine devoted to newbies instead
of experienced pilots would pay more handsomely in the
long run. I think soaring is a very interesting sport,
and if introduced simply and invitingly, has potential
to grow quite a bit. I've personally introduced 15 new
people to soaring, five of whom soloed, in the past
nine months. I did this with the help of an outstanding
club and by keeping it simple and inviting.

I'm interested in what the new director has to say, and
look forward to his comments.

Old July 12th 03, 05:06 AM
Mhudson126

Al,
You run a great web sight, make some great flights, and generally have a good
time. However, you sure do like to stir the S**t pot on this website. I think
that the people who live right there at Hobbs (Larry Pardue) probably have the
best grasp on what is going on up there at our little office. We each know the
rumors around our home glider ports better than anyone; the same applies for
the people at Hobbs, except for the fact that the SSA is included in that rumor
mill.
The SSA may not be the best, and there may be things wrong with it, but it's
all we got, so my vote is to give 'em a chance. If it doesn't work, THEN we
start hammering on 'em. Not before hand. Give 'em a chance, Big Al.

-Mitch

Old July 12th 03, 06:58 AM
Mark James Boyd

I also hope that we give him some legroom. I'd personally like to
see him run up some needed expenses visiting different gliderports
around the country and maybe getting instruction at a lot of different
places. And I'd be happy if he does all of this on my SSA dime
and runs up expense reports as needed to get to know the membership
and a feel for the sport. I hope the things that happened previously
don't hamper him in his new job, and I hope the SSA membership will
hold judgement for a few months.

Heck, if he wants to come to Avenal, I'll personally fly with him
any Saturday! And provide lunch at our BBQ and even get him a
cold beer (shameless plug)!

Hope I'm not stirring any s&*(pots.