Dutch military cutbacks

Old July 1st 03, 05:09 PM
Ralph Savelsberg

Default Dutch military cutbacks

Just in the news during the last few days: The Dutch minister of Defence
has announced (yet another) cutback.

The Air Force will loose 29 F-16s, leaving 108 in service. Twente air
base, which is one of three Dutch F-16 bases will be closed.
Six out of 30 virtually brand-new AH-64Ds are to be sold (to whom?).
The Bo-105 light observation helicopters will be retired without
replacement.
All helicopter operations will be consolidated on Gilze-Rijen airbase
allowing the closure of Soesterberg (formerly known as Camp New Amsterdam
with the USAFE)
The HAWK missile system will be retired and replaced by ex-German PATRIOTs.
Entry of PATRIOT PAC-III into Dutch service will be delayed by two years.

The Dutch navy will loose two minesweepers and four frigates (leaving
ten of each in service) and (aviation related) will have to retire all
remaining P-3s, leaving no
MARPAT aircraft in Dutch service. They (obviously) will also not
undergo an upgrade that was already underway on some aircraft. Their
base, NAS Valkenburg
will be closed and a previously planned relocation to De Kooy/Den Helder
is obviously cancelled.
The only remaining naval aviation assets will be a few dozen Lynx
helicopters at De Kooy.

In addition to retiring its MLRS rocket artillery and a number of
howitzers the army will have to retire their 'Pantserrups tegen
luchtdoelen' (PRTL), which is a mechanized anti-aircraft system based on
the Leopard I.

Personnel levels will be reduced by 9000.

Now, for those of you who are laughing about the small numbers, I have
to remind you that the Netherlands is a rather small country with 16
million inhabitants who (obviously) realise that they're not likely to be
considered a superpower.
As for the cut-backs:
I realise that in light of government cut-backs on just about anything
right now and the public's perceived lack of importance of military
spending compared with spending on things like health care, education
and law enforcement some of these decisions are inevitable. I generally
think that a little reform wouldn't hurt, since equipment wise
especially the army still seems to be stuck in the Cold War. They've
invested some in lighter vehicles and (together with the Air Force) have
formed an air mobile brigade, but they still have lots of heavy
mechanized stuff (tanks, APCs and artillery). I can also understand
retiring some of the F-16s, but retiring the P-3s and selling recently
bought AH-64s really doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. The P-3s
have seen a lot of useful service in recent years and the Apaches were
bought specifically to support the air mobile brigade, which was formed
specifically to deal with post cold war situations.
Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg

Old July 1st 03, 07:09 PM
Thomas J. Paladino Jr.

"Ralph Savelsberg" wrote in message
[...]

They need the money so that they can distribute free heroin to their
drug-addicted population, and then support half of them with their welfare
system.

Old July 2nd 03, 09:47 AM
Rob van Riel

"Thomas J. Paladino Jr." wrote in message ...
They need the money so that they can distribute free heroin to their
drug-addicted population, and then support half of them with their welfare
system.

Spoken like a true inbred, grossly overweigth, redneck with an IQ less
than his shoe size and a shotgun to compensate for all that.

Can we please lose the brainless stereotyping now?

Rob
Old July 2nd 03, 10:16 AM
Ralph Savelsberg

Rob van Riel wrote:

Ralph Savelsberg wrote in message

mechanized stuff (tanks, APCs and artillery). I can also understand

retiring some of the F-16s, but retiring the P-3s and selling recently
bought AH-64s really doesn't seem to make a whole lot of sense. The P-3s
have seen a lot of useful service in recent years and the Apaches were

I have to agree with you on this. The P-3s especially are among the
few military assets that are actually doing something usefull most of
the time (no criticism of the other parts, I'm glad we're not involved
in shooting wars on a regular basis). With these gone, we'll have
everyone and his kid sister dumping oil and other waste off our
coastline.
At least I didn't vote for any of these clowns.

Rob

Neither did I, although I'm not so sure what would have happened if a
coalition government of CDA (Christian Democrats) and PvdA (Social
Democrats), whom I voted for, would have done all that differently. They
too would have cut back on defence spending, although they might have
made different choices.

Actually the VVD (liberal party, although unlike 'liberals' in the
American sense, they're actually conservative), which is a part of the
current coalition governemnt made campaign promises about spending more
on defence.

Typical.

Regards,
Ralph Savelsberg