Need Feedback on Hypersonic

Old August 24th 03, 04:10 PM
Chris Townsend

Yeah, my next upgrade plans include dual raptors in RAID 0. Heh, data
integrity? I am not overly worried as the Raptors should be pretty robust
and with my home network humming along and finally biting the bullet and
getting a DVD burner I am backed up to the hilt. Now as to when I will
actually upgrade is another question, my main machines creaky 400MHz P4 2.4
@ 2.64 with an RDRAM board and 9700Pro are still keeping me awfully happy.

The Hypersonics look like excellent machines although I have never heard of
the company, going through the P4 configuration I did notice that you can
knock 165.00 of the price right of the bat by going with the base case which
is an excellent ATC Aluminum model. I configured it as I woulld like
including dual raptors in RAID 0 and it came out 500+ dollars cheaper than
the initial configuration.

Jan-Albert van Ree wrote:
Gnasher wrote:

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003 08:36:42 +1000, "John Ward"
wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Serial ATA 2 will be out soon, and, as the current ATA is said
by some to be not quite up to scratch, I'd not worry about it yet.

Not to mention it is way to expesnsive for the amount of HD space you
get for the buck. I would buy SCSI before I would buy SATA.

SCSI comes with it's own issues :
- Extra PCI card needed
- Usually higher power useage
- Higher drive temperatures
- Cost

Apart from the somewhat small capacity, what's wrong with the new
Western Digital Raptor series? They blow away EVERY other IDE drive,
and almost all 7200 rpm SCSI drives. And they make less mess in your
case, since Serial ATA cables are very compact, SPECIALLY compared to
SCSI.

Old August 25th 03, 03:51 PM
Marc de Vries

wrote:

Hi Kevin,

Serial ATA 2 will be out soon, and, as the current ATA is said by some
to be not quite up to scratch, I'd not worry about it yet.

Serial ATA 2 is just a bunch of extensions to SATA intended for use in
servers. (quite usefull extensions, but not for a gaming machine)

You are probably thinking about the faster speeds, but that isn;t
interesting either. Simply because there is not a single harddisk that
is limited by the speed of SATA1 or even by ATA/133.

In fact, for a gaming rig I would just buy a recent 7k IDE HDD.
Harddisks are not a bottleneck in games, (there are hardly used at
all) unless you have the slow 4200 rpm laptop harddisks.

Marc