Army ends 20-year helicopter program

Old February 23rd 04, 07:33 PM
Garrison Hilliard

Default Army ends 20-year helicopter program

Army ends 20-year helicopter program
Canceled Comanche program will cost Army at least $10 billion
Monday, February 23, 2004 Posted: 1:50 PM EST (1850 GMT)

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Army has decided to cancel its Comanche helicopter
program, a multibillion-dollar project to build a new-generation chopper for
armed reconnaissance missions, officials said Monday.

The contractors for Comanche are Boeing Co. and Sikorsky Aircraft Corp.

With about $8 billion already invested in the program, and the production line
not yet started, the cancellation is one of the largest in the history of the
Army. It follows the Pentagon's decision in 2002 to cancel the Crusader
artillery program -- against the wishes of Army leaders.

Pentagon officials said a public announcement was planned for Monday afternoon.

Congressional lawmakers and company executives associated with the program were
scrambling Monday to figure out the Pentagon's plans.

Sikorsky spokesman Matthew Broder would only say that "we are on track and fully
funded until we hear otherwise."

The Sikorsky plant in Bridgeport, Connecticut, where the Comanche is being
built, opened last year and employs about 400 workers.

The Comanche has been a target of critics who say it was an expensive mistake.

"The Comanche program has been plagued with wildly unrealistic technological
expectations and the bugaboo of pay more and get less. Cancellation of this
program would free up funds for weapons that work and meet our country's true
national security needs," said Eric Miller of the Project on Government
Oversight, a private watchdog group.

Loren Thompson, who follows aviation and other defense issues for the Lexington
Institute think tank said he believes the Army under new chief of staff Gen.
Peter Schoomaker favors ending the Comanche program, even though the service had
been counting on it to provide a new reconnaissance capability.

"The Bush administration has now killed the two biggest Army weapons programs it
inherited from the Clinton administration," Thompson said, referring to the
Crusader and Comanche.

Earlier this year the White House budget office asked the Pentagon to provide
independent reviews of the Comanche and another expensive aviation program, the
Air Force's F/A-22 Raptor fighter.

Although killing the Comanche project would save tens of billion in future
costs, the cancellation decision is expected to require the Army to pay at least
$2 billion in contract termination fees.

The Comanche program was started in 1983 and had survived many reviews. Under a
restructuring worked out in 2002, a decision on going ahead with initial
low-rate production was to be made in 2007, with the first Comanches delivered
to the Army in 2009 and full-rate production to begin in 2010.

Copyright 2004 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not
be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Old February 23rd 04, 08:36 PM
Garrison Hilliard

Garrison Hilliard wrote:
Army ends 20-year helicopter program
Canceled Comanche program will cost Army at least $10 billion
Monday, February 23, 2004 Posted: 1:50 PM EST (1850 GMT)

Commanche go bye-bye.

Old February 23rd 04, 08:59 PM
Glenn P.

I love it when someone tries to be informative about a topic, but
informs us most about themselves. Let's look at what Garrison's done he

1. Illegally posted a copyrighted story.
2. Included the copyright notice, in the illegal redistribution.
3. Posted an ever-so-clever one line commentary
3. Reposted ever-so-clever one line commentary

Well thank you Garrison. It's been nice getting to know you. I just
wish there was some way I could read more of your wonderful work, as you
clearly have so much to share.

Old February 23rd 04, 09:34 PM
George Z. Bush

"Garrison Hilliard" wrote in message

(Snip)

The Comanche program was started in 1983 and had survived many reviews. Under

restructuring worked out in 2002, a decision on going ahead with initial
low-rate production was to be made in 2007, with the first Comanches delivered
to the Army in 2009 and full-rate production to begin in 2010.

Since this Reagan era DOD project survived the Reagan DOD evaluations, and those
of Daddy Bush, and those of Bill Clinton, we now have arrived at the present
situation, with our present DOD deciding that the project was unworthy of
completion and not worth spending any more money on. Why do I have that uneasy
feeling that brain surgery is about to be done by our neighborhood podiatrist?
Why do I feel that they'd rather spend the money on some other project, like
Star Wars, that they'd like rather than this one that the Army has said all
along that it needs?

George Z.

Old February 23rd 04, 11:05 PM
Peter Kemp

On Mon, 23 Feb 2004 16:34:45 -0500, "George Z. Bush"
wrote:

Since this Reagan era DOD project survived the Reagan DOD evaluations, and those
of Daddy Bush, and those of Bill Clinton, we now have arrived at the present
situation, with our present DOD deciding that the project was unworthy of
completion and not worth spending any more money on. Why do I have that uneasy
feeling that brain surgery is about to be done by our neighborhood podiatrist?
Why do I feel that they'd rather spend the money on some other project, like
Star Wars, that they'd like rather than this one that the Army has said all
along that it needs?

While I'm no supporter of Star Wars (since it does damn all against a
nuke arriving Fed-ex, a rather larger risk), I would point out one
thing. .....

It's the Army cancelling the Comanche, at least according to the
reports I've seen.

My guess is the money saved will go towards more armed UAVs and
(hopefully) more armed scouts of the OH-58D variety for the Guard.

Of course it *could* be used to go towards making the budget a little
more balanced, but that seems unlikely.

Peter Kemp
Old February 24th 04, 12:57 AM
Thomas Schoene

George Z. Bush wrote:
[...]

The Army aviaiton community has said so all along. But Army aviation's
credibility is not what it once was. It's a little hard to claim, with a
stright face anyway, that the Army's next-generation scout helo needs
extensive and expensive radar-frequency stealth when Apache units in
Afghanistan and Iraq are getting rocked by optically-aimed guns and IR
MANPADS. Granted they may not have done as badly as press reports suggest,
but these wars showed that the idea odf the deep penetration striek by
helicopters independant of ground forces was probably not a viable option.
And that was what Commanche was designed around. That level of stelath was
only needed to penetrate an enemy's sophisitcated battlefield air defenses
and strike deep into their rear area, where the radar SAMs would live.

It's also hard to understand why a scout needs an armament that's only
slightly lighter than the attack helo it's supposedly scouting for, or why
you need a scout at all when the attack helos have potent surveillance
radars like Longbow.

Commanche may have been the right answer for fighting in the 1990s against a
Soviet force with integrated air deffenses even with its mobile armored
units (but I won't bet on it). But the mid 1990s, it was obviously the
wrong answer. Likely some sort of replacement was needed, but Commanche was
way too much helo for the job.

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old February 24th 04, 01:15 AM
Jim Yanik

"George Z. Bush" wrote in
:

[...]

Maybe RPVs or armed UAVs weren't seen as being practical back then?
Also the recent anti-helo tactics (RPGs')developed by the Moslems and the
highly-effective MANPADS SAMs means the low-level threat makes manned helos
too risky.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik-at-kua.net
Old February 24th 04, 05:01 AM
Krztalizer

I'd be very surprised if a lot of the technology created for this program
doesn't suddenly appear in law enforcement and other types of government flight
applications.

v/r
Gordon
====(A+C====
USN SAR

Donate your memories - write a note on the back and send your old photos to a
reputable museum, don't take them with you when you're gone.

Old February 24th 04, 05:06 AM
Kevin Brooks

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
George Z. Bush wrote:
[...]

That is one hell of a leap based upon the results encountered during a
single mission where the SEAD support was intentionally withheld. A lot of
green suiters (outside the aviation community) thought that the emphasis on
the deep attack mission was bit overdone, but to condemn the entire concept
as "not viable" based upon one mission? That's a bit much.

And that was what Commanche was designed around. That level of stelath

was
only needed to penetrate an enemy's sophisitcated battlefield air defenses
and strike deep into their rear area, where the radar SAMs would live.

Well, to be honest, that is not quite completely true. The Soviet (and hence
it still remains a viable model since so many potential foes still use it)
FAAD system did indeed include radar guided systems, both missile and gun
type (even the ubiquitous ZSU-23/4 used a radar gun laying system). You
could expect to encounter those kinds of systems up pretty close to the
FLOT.

It's also hard to understand why a scout needs an armament that's only
slightly lighter than the attack helo it's supposedly scouting for,

You think the cavalry scout helos are there only to operate in support of
the attack helos? Nope. Cavalry units can be tasked to independently screen
and guard at the division level; add the other required assets (i.e.,
additional tanks and arty support on the ground side and attack helos on the
air side) and you can also do a covering force fight (though that would
normally be in the corps level cavalry regimet's domain). Scout helos also
support indirect fires, and with the RAH-66 it was expected to perform
general deep intel collection. Personally I see the latter as stretching
things a bit too far, but as to including weapons on scout helos--witness
the AH-58D; that weapons capability id there for a reason.

or why
you need a scout at all when the attack helos have potent surveillance
radars like Longbow.

So the attack helos can concentrate on their mission (killing bad guys),
while the cavalry scouts perform their mission (screen, guard, reconnoiter,
etc.).

Commanche may have been the right answer for fighting in the 1990s against

Soviet force with integrated air deffenses even with its mobile armored
units (but I won't bet on it). But the mid 1990s, it was obviously the
wrong answer. Likely some sort of replacement was needed, but Commanche

was
way too much helo for the job.

I think Commanche could have been of value against the old Soviet threat in
a European battle environment. But I agree with your last two sentences, and
it is a shame that the previous leadership (at both DoD and senior Army
levels) got sucked into supporting the beast for as long as they did.

Brooks

--
Tom Schoene

FA: 3 MASH Model Kits- Medical, Swamp, Helicopter - Ends Tomorrow Disgo Aviation Marketplace 0 February 21st 04 02:35 PM
bush rules! Be Kind Military Aviation 53 February 14th 04 04:26 PM
Army fears skilled helicopter pilots will fly away Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 January 11th 04 11:48 PM
Warszaw Pact War Plans ( The Effects of a Global Thermonuclear War ...) Matt Wiser Military Aviation 0 December 7th 03 08:20 PM
French block airlift of British troops to Basra Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 202 October 24th 03 06:48 PM