Can MSFS Kill you?

Old December 5th 06, 02:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steve Foley

Default Can MSFS Kill you?

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...FA021& akey=1

"The airplane was being operated as an instrument flight rules (IFR)
cross-country personal flight under Title 14, CFR Part 91, when the accident
occurred. The non-instrument rated, solo private-certificated pilot,
sustained fatal injuries"
"The flight originated at the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport, New Smyrna
Beach, Florida, about 1920 eastern standard time (EST), and was en route to
the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, New Orleans,
Louisiana. "
"The instructor noted that the accident pilot had been practicing the flight
route to New Orleans using a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 program, on his
personal computer. "

Old December 5th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Steve Foley wrote:

"The airplane was being operated as an instrument flight rules (IFR)
cross-country personal flight under Title 14, CFR Part 91, when the accident
occurred. The non-instrument rated, solo private-certificated pilot,
sustained fatal injuries"

What a depressing read. The only bright spot is that at least he didn't
take anyone with him.

--
Peter
Old December 5th 06, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dylan Smith

On 2006-12-05, Steve Foley wrote:
snip accident report

No, MSFS didn't kill him - overconfidence in skills and arrogance killed
him (the arrogance - I don't need no damned instrument ticket to make
this flight).

Conditions were hard IFR - ceilings at 100 to 200 feet. Not the sort of
place a novice instrument pilot really ought to be.

Old December 5th 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Danny Dot

"Steve Foley" wrote in message
http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief2.asp?...FA021& akey=1

"The airplane was being operated as an instrument flight rules (IFR)
cross-country personal flight under Title 14, CFR Part 91, when the
accident occurred. The non-instrument rated, solo private-certificated
pilot, sustained fatal injuries"
"The flight originated at the New Smyrna Beach Municipal Airport, New
Smyrna Beach, Florida, about 1920 eastern standard time (EST), and was en
route to the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, New
Orleans, Louisiana. "
"The instructor noted that the accident pilot had been practicing the
flight route to New Orleans using a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000
program, on his personal computer. "

If it gives a private pilot confedence he can fly IFR, I would say it can
kill you. The weather was 100 foot ceiling and 3/4 mile visibility. This
is a very hard approach for ANYONE to make.

I used to own a 35 model Bonanza (the one with the forked tail). The plane
is unstable in roll, very unstable. You look down to get the next chart and
the plane rolls to 45 degrees in a flash. If you do nothing, roll will
increase. It would be VERY easy to loose control of the plane. He had a
J35 model which was made in 1958. I wonder if he had any type of autopilot.
Just a simple wing leveller would help a bunch with the unstable roll of the
plane.

Danny Dot

Old December 5th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

On 2006-12-05, Steve Foley wrote:
snip accident report

No, MSFS didn't kill him - overconfidence in skills and arrogance killed
him (the arrogance - I don't need no damned instrument ticket to make
this flight).

Conditions were hard IFR - ceilings at 100 to 200 feet. Not the sort of
place a novice instrument pilot really ought to be.

--

Sure it was over confidence, but did he have that confidence because he had
read on the internet that flying MSFS was just like real life?

Old December 5th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose[_1_]

"The instructor noted that the accident pilot had been practicing the flight
route to New Orleans using a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 program, on his
personal computer. "

"The logbook also revealed that the pilot was in the process of
receiving flight instruction for an instrument rating."

Maybe getting instrument instruction can kill you too.

Jose
--
"There are 3 secrets to the perfect landing. Unfortunately, nobody knows
what they are." - (mike).
Old December 5th 06, 04:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug[_1_]

Default Can IMC Kill you?

The pilot was NOT instrument rated and it sounds like he didn't have
charts for that airport. It was very low IMC at NIGHT. Difficult
conditions for even the best of pilots.

Old December 5th 06, 05:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques

"Danny Dot" wrote in message

[...]

A gun will kill you as well, if you point it at yourself and pull the
trigger. :-)

I've flown the early V tail Bo quite a bit during my career and never had
trouble in roll. I found the airplane quite stable in all axis. It does
however have a tendency to oscillate in a continuous coupling that can make
the back seat pax sick as hell.
Our line boy hated the airplane. Every time I brought it back from a
charter, he had to clean up the back .
:-)
Dudley Henriques
[MVP] Microsoft Flight Simulator

Old December 5th 06, 06:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Steve Foley writes:

"The instructor noted that the accident pilot had been practicing the flight
route to New Orleans using a Microsoft Flight Simulator 2000 program, on his
personal computer. "

I guess he didn't practice enough. Or, more specifically, he didn't
practice that specific approach in that particular whether with that
particular malfunction. Perhaps practicing that exact scenario might
have helped him (I'm pretty sure it would have). However, the real
problem was that he allowed himself to get into that situation in the
first place. In the final analysis, MSFS made no difference at all.

Old December 5th 06, 06:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mxsmanic

Gig 601XL Builder writes:

Sure it was over confidence, but did he have that confidence because he had
read on the internet that flying MSFS was just like real life?

No. He made decisions that had nothing to do with MSFS, such as
continuing to fly longer than necessary even though he had a fuel
problem. That is just as stupid a decision in MSFS as it is in real
life, so even if he had practiced that in MSFS, it would not have made
any difference.