Bonanza Down in AZ

Old February 4th 06, 12:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Bonanza Down in AZ

Student pilots must log 50 hours behind the stick in a Diamond Katana
DA20-C1 Falcon aircraft to graduate. Before they only had to have 18 to
25 hours. Graduates receive a Federal Aviation Administration private
pilot license.

I don't know what they mean by "before." We had plenty of the Academy
students at Meadwow Lake and I was told that they had to complete the
requirements for a civil private pilot ticket to graduate. That
would be more than 18-25 hours.

Ron Lee

Old February 4th 06, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

That's what the Lufthansa Flight School does..
Primary Training in a Bonanza..
not any different from the Air Force using T-37s to the Navy using T-34Cs
BT

"Marco Leon" mmleon(at)yahoo.com wrote in message
It sounds like they're doing primary training in a Bonanza. Isn't that
asking for trouble?

Marco

wrote in message
CBS noon news reported the crash of a Bonanza out of the Lufthansa
Flight Training School at Goodyear Airport. The student pilot was a 22
yr-old woman, here from Germany since December, with 49 total hours, 5+
solo hours, on what was supposed to be an hour-long solo flight. No
emergency radio calls were made, and the report said there is no
indication of what may have gone wrong so far.

http://www.usenet.com

Old February 4th 06, 01:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Almost everything is designed by engineers. My point is they could do it better
and cheaper, without so much government help.

On 3 Feb 2006 06:16:34 -0800, "
wrote:

How much would an airplane cost, if it were designed by engineers and NOT by the government?

Interesting thought. Last I knew, airplanes WERE designed by engineers.
Automobiles are another story entirely.

George

How much would an airplane cost, if it were designed by engineers and NOT by the government?
Old February 4th 06, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

How much would an airplane cost, if it were designed by engineers and NOT by the government?

Take a look at the price of an RV (completed) experimental vs the price
of an equivalent certified plane and you will get an idea. Basically
its about $80k vs $160k or thereabouts. There ARE some things about
factory planes that are "better" (arguable), like consistency of build
and support for parts. Factory aircraft also have a better safety
record. But the above price gives you an idea.

I know that Wipair quotes the STC for a set of $40k floats at about
$15k which is supposed to be the cost of the FAA certification. Of
course those are floats, not aircraft......

It's really hard to say exactly.....

Old February 4th 06, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

John Doe wrote:
My first thought is WTF is she doing in a Bonanza?

Mine was similar. Seems we're in the minority.
Old February 4th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

wrote:

John Doe wrote:
My first thought is WTF is she doing in a Bonanza?

Mine was similar. Seems we're in the minority.

What's the problem? I've got very little Bo' time, but it seemed to me
to be the easiest airplane to fly that I'd ever flown--particularly in
the landing phase. Wonderfully harmonized controls.

If you could manage to remember to put the gear up and down, I think a
Bo' would make a dandy trainer (except for the cost, of course). The
Navy certainly thought so for a long time.

--
Dan
C172RG at BFM

Old February 4th 06, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006 15:17:39 -0600, "Dan Luke"
wrote:

What's the problem? I've got very little Bo' time, but it seemed to me
to be the easiest airplane to fly that I'd ever flown--particularly in
the landing phase. Wonderfully harmonized controls.

If you could manage to remember to put the gear up and down, I think a
Bo' would make a dandy trainer (except for the cost, of course). The
Navy certainly thought so for a long time.

I know a guy that took his PPL 'ride in a Malibu Mirage. Solo'ed in a
7AC though...

TC
Old February 4th 06, 11:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan Luke" wrote:
What's the problem? I've got very little Bo' time, but it seemed to me
to be the easiest airplane to fly that I'd ever flown--particularly in
the landing phase. Wonderfully harmonized controls.

If you could manage to remember to put the gear up and down, I think a
Bo' would make a dandy trainer (except for the cost, of course). The
Navy certainly thought so for a long time.

I'm a huge Bonanza fan. I don't have any PIC time, but a friend has a
gorgeous BE33. I've been his passenger on many flights and safety pilot
a few times. ICAM about it being a wonderful airplane. But it's very
fast compared to airplanes that are more typically used as primary
trainers. Can it be done? Yes, of course. If anything out of the
ordinary happens, however, or if a 40-hr solo pilot (or ANY pilot for
that matter) gets confused or distracted, they could get behind the
airplane VERY quickly in a Bo. Add the add'l tasks associated with a
complex aircraft to the mix and someone could be in big trouble a lot
faster than in a Cherokee or a C172. I know that's part of the training,
but things just happen very fast in that airplane. *Just my opinion.*

Is that anything close to what you were thinking, John Doe?

Flying a Bonanza Larry Dighera Owning 28 September 10th 05 09:33 PM
Speedbrakes for a Bonanza: Opinions? Peter R. Owning 51 January 17th 05 07:52 PM
Bonanza "Landing Gear Safety System" Roy Smith Owning 3 January 16th 04 05:01 PM
F33A Bonanza Alternator Light Peter Shurman Owning 4 July 18th 03 12:09 PM
Early Bonanza or Apache? Brinks Owning 11 July 16th 03 06:01 PM