Free time! (in more ways than one)

Old September 18th 03, 09:34 PM
Corrie

Default Free time! (in more ways than one)

The good news - I've now got much more time to spend in the shop! The
bad news - I've got much less money to spend on tools, supplies, and
materials.

My department was eliminated today. Time to seriously reign in the
cash outlays. Of course, that puts the kibosh on flying. So if you
know someone who needs the services of a top-shelf instructional
designer with fifteen years' experience designing interactive
multimedia and 'e-learning', drop me a note. Shameless plug? You
bet. I've got kids to feed and an airplane to build - in that order.

Blue skies!

Corrie

http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm
Old September 18th 03, 10:04 PM
Eric Miller

"Corrie" wrote in message
om...
The good news - I've now got much more time to spend in the shop! The
bad news - I've got much less money to spend on tools, supplies, and
materials.

Sorry to hear; I can relate on a very personal and immediate level.

This economy sucks (in more ways than one)

But then maybe you're just being freed up for a better job!
And... more time to spend with your kids!
Keep looking on the brighter side.

Blue skies... especially if you're anywhere near Isabel's storm track (I
almost typed flight path )

Eric

Old September 20th 03, 03:08 AM
Ernest Christley

Corrie wrote:
The good news - I've now got much more time to spend in the shop! The
bad news - I've got much less money to spend on tools, supplies, and
materials.

My department was eliminated today. Time to seriously reign in the
cash outlays. Of course, that puts the kibosh on flying. So if you
know someone who needs the services of a top-shelf instructional
designer with fifteen years' experience designing interactive
multimedia and 'e-learning', drop me a note. Shameless plug? You
bet. I've got kids to feed and an airplane to build - in that order.

Blue skies!

Corrie

http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/homebuilt_plane_blog.htm

I just took a job paying 1/2 of what I was getting before being laid off
a year ago. I saw it coming and bought up a lot of parts before the
hammer fell.

--
http://www.ernest.isa-geek.org/
"Ignorance is mankinds normal state,

Old September 21st 03, 04:38 PM
Jay Honeck

I just took a job paying 1/2 of what I was getting before being laid off
a year ago. I saw it coming and bought up a lot of parts before the
hammer fell.

Hey, a year ago Mary and I opened an aviation-themed, luxury suites hotel
that (so far) pays less than 1/4 of what I was making in my previous
business.

I'm working harder, for far less money -- but having ten times more fun --
so everything really IS relative!

Good luck, Corrie. Something good will come along.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old September 23rd 03, 07:25 AM
Corrie

Thanks for all the good thoughts and discouraging tales! ;-) I'm a
realist, but I do hope to land something close to my most recent
salary. Frankly I don't think I can afford a 50% cut - that would
require *major* lifestyle adjustments, and I don't mean lease out the
Lear and join a cheaper country club.

I put myself through college by short-order cooking and playing guitar
for tips. I can do it again if need be. As my aunt (who ran a $1M+
oilfield services company during the oil boom of the 70's, and closed
it down when the boom ended) said, "If you have to, you get out in the
barnyard and pick **** with the chickens."

My meager flying experience has also stood me in good stead: In the
case of sudden power loss, 1. Aviate - fly the airplane and trim for
best glide. 2. Navigate - select an alternate landing field. 3.
Communicate - get on the horn to people who can help, and don't be shy
about asking for it.

Blue skies!

Corrie
http://www.itasca.net/~corrie/resume...e_Bergeron.htm

(Craig) wrote in message . com...
(Corrie) wrote in message . com...
The good news - I've now got much more time to spend in the shop! The
bad news - I've got much less money to spend on tools, supplies, and
materials.

Been there...done that...got the Tshirts and the credit ratings to
boot...Spent a little over 4 years off work in two big chunks after
layoffs in the defense world. Biggest problem that I had was getting
people to understand that a 50+% cut in pay was okay with me so that I
could put food on the table and keep power on in the house. Managed to
keep both aircraft projects and the hangar, but it took some family
help, a bit of luck and some hard groveling with the landlord.

Biggest thing is be flexible and try and land something quickly, even
if it's shoving pallets at WallyWorld. Once you stave off the no bucks
problem, you will find something appropriate.

Craig C.