A plaugue of TFRs

Old August 13th 04, 04:12 AM
Ben Jackson

Default A plaugue of TFRs

Tommorow the Blue Angels will be practicing near Hillsboro, OR in the
afternoon at the same time a Presidential TFR is active in an overlapping
area. You think they'll shoot down the Blues?

Looks like I picked a hell of a day to try to fly from Hillsboro to
Seattle!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 13th 04, 04:52 AM
G. Burkhart

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
Tommorow the Blue Angels will be practicing near Hillsboro, OR in the
afternoon at the same time a Presidential TFR is active in an overlapping
area. You think they'll shoot down the Blues?

Looks like I picked a hell of a day to try to fly from Hillsboro to
Seattle!

Don't you just love these TFR's? We had one around Mankato, MN a week ago.
If I was flying that day, I could have taken off from St James but would
have been within the TFR in a few miles. That's hitting close to home. I
just pulled up AOPA's Real-Time Flight Planner to plan a trip between here
and Minden, NE. It routes me right over Sioux City. With the TFR over Sioux
City this Saturday, it says "IA SUX 4/8406....", that's kinda rude.

I check the AOPA website and the flight planner regularly to see if there's
any of these TFR's popping up at an airport near me...

--
Greg Burkhart

6-pack Abs??? Heck with 6-pack Abs, mine look more like a keg!

Old August 13th 04, 06:14 AM
J. Severyn

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message
Tommorow the Blue Angels will be practicing near Hillsboro, OR in the
afternoon at the same time a Presidential TFR is active in an overlapping
area. You think they'll shoot down the Blues?

Looks like I picked a hell of a day to try to fly from Hillsboro to
Seattle!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/

Its a problem to fly anywhere when the Feds post a TFR like 4/8409.
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr/jsp/save_page...il_4_8409.html
Do any of you folk know how to interpret this one??? I don't have a clue.

J. Severyn

Old August 13th 04, 06:18 AM
'Vejita' S. Cousin

In article ,
Looks like I picked a hell of a day to try to fly from Hillsboro to
Seattle!

Its a problem to fly anywhere when the Feds post a TFR like 4/8409.
http://tfr.faa.gov/tfr/jsp/save_page...il_4_8409.html
Do any of you folk know how to interpret this one??? I don't have a clue.

It looks pretty simple if you read all of it. It appears that from
unknown time X, to unspecified time Y, at a location to remain secret,
there's a TFR for operations within an unstated height, within a certain
radius (which I'll assume is around the secret location but I am not 100%
sure).
See that's part of the problem, the FAA posts these TFRs and then
pilots fail to honor them. You know who else doesn't follow the law..
that's right criminals

Old August 13th 04, 05:32 PM
gatt

"Ben Jackson" wrote in message

Tommorow the Blue Angels will be practicing near Hillsboro, OR in the
afternoon at the same time a Presidential TFR is active in an overlapping
area. You think they'll shoot down the Blues?

Looks like I picked a hell of a day to try to fly from Hillsboro to
Seattle!

You've gotta be kidding! You're gonna try that TODAY? With the TFR active
and all the chaos going on, I imagine it's going to be a slow day for
general aviation in PDX. I cancelled my flying schedule and decided to go
camping.

:

-c

Old August 13th 04, 05:54 PM
Bob Gardner

The general public is getting a look into the TFR question here in Seattle.
El Presidente will be here tonight, shutting down Lake Union and Lake
Washington and putting Kenmore's floatplane operation out of business for 18
hours. Kenmore is the largest float plane operation in the US, and they are
getting a lot of media exposure because of the financial hit they are
taking. They also have customers on islands up in British Columbia who
expect to be picked up and returned to Seattle...but won't be...and Kenmore
has no way of communicating with them.

Bob Gardner

Old August 13th 04, 06:23 PM
Peter Duniho

"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
The general public is getting a look into the TFR question here in

Seattle.
El Presidente will be here tonight, shutting down Lake Union and Lake
Washington and putting Kenmore's floatplane operation out of business for

18
hours. [...]

I don't understand. I was under the impression that only the interior 3
mile radius of the TFR is strictly no-fly. Can't Kenmore simply get ATC
approval to fly through the portion of the 30-mile radius that's affecting
them?

I'm all for a "lot of media exposure" and the "general public...getting a
look into the TFR question", but hopefully the information presented will at
least be accurate.

What local media has been reporting on this? I'd love to see the news
reports firsthand...I've been dismayed at the lack of attention aviation's
hardships have gotten, here and across the country.

Pete

Old August 15th 04, 09:22 PM
Newps

Peter Duniho wrote:

I don't understand. I was under the impression that only the interior 3
mile radius of the TFR is strictly no-fly. Can't Kenmore simply get ATC
approval to fly through the portion of the 30-mile radius that's affecting
them?

Yes. The size of the no fly zone varies but it is highly unlikely
Kenmore is grounded unless Bush will be within a few miles of their base.

Old August 15th 04, 09:44 PM
Ben Jackson

In article ,
Newps wrote:

Yes. The size of the no fly zone varies but it is highly unlikely
Kenmore is grounded unless Bush will be within a few miles of their base.

That TFR for the Portland area had a 30nm ring and two interior 10nm
rings.

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old August 16th 04, 12:18 AM
Newps

Ben Jackson wrote:
In article ,
Newps wrote:

Yes. The size of the no fly zone varies but it is highly unlikely
Kenmore is grounded unless Bush will be within a few miles of their base.

That TFR for the Portland area had a 30nm ring and two interior 10nm
rings.

You need to read the fine print. Many TFR's allow transit as long as
you are talking to ATC.