Was The Grumman "Bearcat" Flown Off Carriers?

Old January 22nd 04, 01:21 AM
John Carrier

Yup, and the F11F-1F became the F-11B.

Did they ever bother to do that? IIRC, there was just the one J-79 retrofit
aircraft.

R / John

Old January 22nd 04, 02:18 AM
Jack G

My source says two J-79-GE-3A airframes: 138646 and 138647. I can not find
a reference to an F-11B designation for these aircraft. Supposedly the
F11F-1F had Mach 2 capability. Must have been quite a ride!

Jack

Old January 22nd 04, 04:12 AM
Thomas Schoene

Nice Again wrote:
F fighter
8 eighth model
F Grumman

This has always seemed harder to me than the Air Force/unified system

F Fighter
16 16th type since 1962

Under the Navy designation system, the Hornet would have changed
designations from F5D to F3B (I think) when Boeing bought out McDonnell
Douglas. You'd have had nearly identical aircraft with two different
designations, probably in the same squadrons. Seems rather nonsensical.

(The same system had wartime Corsairs as either F4Us or FGs depending on who
built them.)

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
ink.net...

"Nice Again" wrote in message

And the 'easy' way of identification was lost forever!

Eh?

"If brave men and women never died, there would be nothing
special about bravery." -- Andy Rooney (attributed)

Old January 22nd 04, 04:49 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Nice Again" wrote in message

F fighter
8 eighth model
F Grumman

I did not ask for an explanation of the Navy's bizarre designation system,
it was your message that was a mystery.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:00 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"John Carrier" wrote in message

Did they ever bother to do that? IIRC, there was just the one J-79

retrofit
aircraft.

Two aircraft were fitted with the YJ79-GE-3 and designated F11F-1F, bureau
numbers 138646 and 138647. I believe the latter is on display at China
Lake.

Old January 22nd 04, 05:04 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...

(The same system had wartime Corsairs as either F4Us or FGs depending
on who built them.)

Don't forget the Brewster F3A!

Old January 22nd 04, 01:45 PM
Leanne

"Thomas Schoene" wrote in message
ink.net...
(The same system had wartime Corsairs as either F4Us or FGs

depending on who
built them.)

I am not telling my age, but I have worked on a FM-2 from
Tall-Mantz Aviation, back when one of the world's larger air
forces was owned by them and parked on the west end of what is
now known as John Wayne International.

Leanne

Old January 22nd 04, 07:49 PM
Nice Again

The Navy system wasn't bizzarre. It made it easy to identiy a/c (mental
picture) by just the lettr and numbers.

"Steven P. McNicoll" wrote in message
link.net...