Fly-In Camping.....

Old January 31st 04, 02:28 AM
Travis Marlatte

Followed the Alaska Highway back from Anchorage last summer. Camped in the
woods near the airplane at many airports across Canada. Even at the larger
airports, they don't seem to give it a second thought - although it may just
be a grassy area off to the side.

Here in the midwest, I can't think of an airport that I would just pull over
and set up camp. It just seems so natural farther north but not down in the
lower 48 (OK maybe just the middle 12).

--
-------------------------------
Travis
"Doug" wrote in message
m...
I was astounded when I pulled into Fairbanks and the tower asked me if
I wanted to taxi to the "camping area". The camping area had a pullout
for each plane. Each site had its own picnic table and firepit. There
was a community pagoda, cut firewood and bicycle. Best camping
ammenities I have ever found at an airport.

I have found you can camp at most small airports. Especially the ones
where there are no "facilities". You can camp at my home base, Boulder
(1V5). But only for a day or two. Its tolerated but not encouraged. I
have also "camped" inside the FBO at numerous airports. Just put my
bag on the couch and spent the night.

Old January 31st 04, 06:09 AM
BTIZ

I did not think so.. but last time I was home I flew by the airport.. to
small to get into with what I was flying that day..

BT

"Stu Gotts" wrote in message
Is O' Gaddabout still alive?

On Thu, 29 Jan 2004 19:03:04 -0800, "BTIZ"
wrote:

Gadabout Gaddis Airport, Bingham Maine, just off the Kennebec River
http://www.airstripamerica.com/cgi-bin/apt_info?ME08

I used to have a photo of it.. but not having much luck finding it.

BT

"Gene Kearns" wrote in message
.. .

The thread on Fly-In Museums worked so well that I thought I would
pose this question to the group.....

Can anyone offer some nice fly-in campsites... along with the features
and accessibility?

Old January 31st 04, 07:11 AM
C J Campbell

"Tony Cox" wrote in message
ink.net...
| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
|
| Bar Ten Ranch, AZ
|
| Isn't that one private? On the north rim of
| the grand canyon, right?

That would be the one.

Old January 31st 04, 03:13 PM
EDR

Nobel County (I10), Caldwell, Ohio.
Adjacent to a state park. Path leads from airport to the lake at the
end of the runway.

Highland County (HOC), Hillsboro, Ohio.
Adjacent to Rocky Fork Lake State Park.
Old January 31st 04, 04:06 PM
Carl Ellis

Nehalem Bay State Airport

http://www.airstripamerica.com/cgi-bin/apt_info?3S7

There are five or six camping spots right off the tie down area. During
the summer there is running water and port-a-potties. About a mile walk to
town for supplies. The airport is on the estuary side of the beach, it's
about a 1/2 mile walk to the ocean frontage. The beach is in the lower
right hand corner of the picture, just below Nehalem Bay State Park.
Old January 31st 04, 07:49 PM
Tom Pappano

Ross Richardson wrote:
If you are in this part of the country, then just south of this is Cedar
Mills on Lake Texoma, 3T0 (zero). 3000' E-W grass runway. They have
cottages or you can camp on the airport. One favorite spot is near the
tree on the east of the runway and near the lake. There is a resturant,
showers, etc on the property.

We will have to check that out!
Thanks,
Tom Pappano, PP-ASEL-IA

Old January 31st 04, 10:00 PM
John Galban

"Eclipsme" wrote in message ...
"C J Campbell" wrote in message
Johnson Creek, ID

Is this one of the one-way strips in the wilderness area? I think I've been
there, years ago.

Harvey,

Johnson Creek is posted as one-way (land 17 takeoff 35). There's a
tall hill at the end of 17 with a house on top. Landing on 35 is not
very difficult, but is discouraged to keep the noise over the house to
a minimum.

The airport is not in the wilderness, but it's close to the River of
No Return Wilderness area. If you click on the top link in my post
above, it the second one down on the right. Great place to camp with
showers, a phone, and courtesy vans that you can rent for about 8
bucks to visit the town of Yellowpine (5 miles away on a gravel road).
Caretakers Gene and Cody maintain the runway and campgrounds like it
was their own. Well worth a visit.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)
Old February 1st 04, 01:50 AM
Eclipsme

"John Galban" wrote in message
om...
"Eclipsme" wrote in message

[...]

Yea, it was a number of years ago, in my first plane, a 1959 C172.
Aquamarine, black and white and a straight tail. I remember sitting on the
departure end of 35 early AM, watching another plane appear from behind the
mountains on right base, with more mountains behind him. It was a beautiful
location, and memory.

Harvey

Old February 1st 04, 03:59 PM

In rec.aviation.owning Travis Marlatte wrote:
: Followed the Alaska Highway back from Anchorage last summer. Camped in the
: woods near the airplane at many airports across Canada. Even at the larger
: airports, they don't seem to give it a second thought - although it may just
: be a grassy area off to the side.

: Here in the midwest, I can't think of an airport that I would just pull over
: and set up camp. It just seems so natural farther north but not down in the
: lower 48 (OK maybe just the middle 12).

I haven't flown it (yet), but I've driven it half a dozen times. Driving is
pretty close to the same deal. The further north you go, the less anybody thinks of you
simply pulling off alongside the road in a gravel pit to spend the night. Of course, the
provincial campsites are generally really good an inexpensive.

I *will* fly up sometime. I just can't afford the time right now.
Need...faster...airplane....

-Cory

* The prime directive of Linux: *
* - learn what you don't know, *
* - teach what you do. *
* (Just my 20 USm$) *

Old February 1st 04, 06:16 PM

In rec.aviation.piloting Gene Kearns wrote:

The thread on Fly-In Museums worked so well that I thought I would
pose this question to the group.....

Can anyone offer some nice fly-in campsites... along with the features
and accessibility?

Marble, Colorado. Bring EVERYTHING. 1.5 mile hike into town of Marble.
1 pay phone in town, limited, limited store. Great fishing on the
Crystal River. Great marble quarry mine tour... this is where much of
the marble for the monuments in Washington D.C. come from.

View our fly-in briefing:
http://www.coloradopilots.org/marble2003.asp

This is a PRIVATE airport... I am authorized to provide instruction
and contact information.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://www.frii.net/~jer

Oshkosh rumor about camping Jim Gardiner Home Built 3 July 20th 04 07:50 PM
Camping at Oshkosh... Blueskies Home Built 2 July 8th 04 02:59 AM
Camping at OSH COROSS2 Home Built 23 July 5th 04 08:02 AM
Tent camping in Camp Scholler? Jerry Home Built 4 July 30th 03 12:41 AM
Oshkosh Vehicle Camping Jacob Jaks Home Built 3 July 22nd 03 05:23 PM