Mysteries of your plane...

Old February 6th 04, 08:07 AM
Ben Jackson

Default Mysteries of your plane...

Now that I own my own plane I keep thinking I've crawled around it
enough to know what's what, but I keep finding new things...

The day I got it: Lots of odds and ends in every pocket and cubbyhole.

Within a week: Hanging upside down in the front seats I discovered
that each seat frame had a tray attached to it. The previous owner
had left a DC headset under the passenger seat (mailed back). The
pilot's seat has a fire extinguisher in a bracket that I found was
adapted from a wall hanging application -- once you release it you
actually have to lift it UP (toward the seatbottom) before it will
slide forward. Glad I practiced that one.

In a few months: Realized an unassuming knob adjusted the brightness
of all of the instruments with builtin lights (as opposed to the
original dimmer that adjusts the post lights). Counted off the
breakers (they are oriented vertically and point down, toward your
legs). Discovered that the alternator breaker is actually a large
switch type with guard (not a push/pull) but only after I got upside
down and examined it.

A few weeks ago: Noticed some vents (for cabin heat) at shin level
actually had louvers to control flow (pilot side one so loose it falls
shut).

Today: Accessing the glove compartment (behind the yoke on the far
right) at eye level (don't even remember why I was at that angle)
I saw that it has NO BACK! It's just got a few lips that look like
they SHOULD have a back attached. It opens to the panel, you can
see the altitude encoder behind it.

Who knows what else I'll find!

--
Ben Jackson

http://www.ben.com/
Old February 6th 04, 02:58 PM
Jay Honeck

Who knows what else I'll find!

Wait till you do your first "owner-assisted" annual. You may be surprised
at a lot of things!
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old February 6th 04, 03:48 PM
G.R. Patterson III

Jay Honeck wrote:

Who knows what else I'll find!

Wait till you do your first "owner-assisted" annual. You may be surprised
at a lot of things!

Ya know, I always wondered what happened to that wrench. :-)

George Patterson
Love, n.: A form of temporary insanity afflicting the young. It is curable
either by marriage or by removal of the afflicted from the circumstances
under which he incurred the condition. It is sometimes fatal, but more
often to the physician than to the patient.
Old February 6th 04, 04:22 PM
Dale

In article ,
"G.R. Patterson III" wrote:

Ya know, I always wondered what happened to that wrench. :-)

Not to worry, I found it in the belly of my 182 G.

--
Dale L. Falk

There is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing
as simply messing around with airplanes.

http://home.gci.net/~sncdfalk/flying.html
Old February 7th 04, 02:14 AM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Jay Honeck wrote:

Who knows what else I'll find!

Wait till you do your first "owner-assisted" annual. You may be

surprised
at a lot of things!

Ya know, I always wondered what happened to that wrench. :-)

Frank: "Hey, the missing evidence from the Kellner case"
Ed: "Frank, he went to the electric chair two years ago".

Old February 7th 04, 03:20 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Prime said:
We had had our plane over 4 years when we found out quite by accident
that in our Cherokee you had to press a metal tab to get the fuel shutoff
to go into the OFF position. We had never tried it. I doubt I would have
figured it out while dealing with a forced landing....

Most people will actually read the POH before they start to fly a new
aircraft. But I guess you're just too cool to do that.

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"I'm sorry, your missile just caused a General Protection error.
Old February 7th 04, 07:21 PM
Prime

(Paul Tomblin) wrote in news:c02vnq$gcj$2
@allhats.xcski.com:

In a previous article, Prime said:
We had had our plane over 4 years when we found out quite by accident
that in our Cherokee you had to press a metal tab to get the fuel shutoff
to go into the OFF position. We had never tried it. I doubt I would have
figured it out while dealing with a forced landing....

Most people will actually read the POH before they start to fly a new
aircraft. But I guess you're just too cool to do that.

Well, I did read the handbook, and it is one sentence I must have missed. I
also was given an intro to the plane by one of my partners, who obviously
didn't know about it either.

Thanks for being so cool in responding the way you did.

Tim Long
CMA, CA
Old February 7th 04, 09:07 PM
Paul Tomblin

In a previous article, Prime said:
Well, I did read the handbook, and it is one sentence I must have missed. I

So you never practiced any emergency procedures on the ground? When you
got to the bit that said "Fuel Selector: Off" what did you do, just skip
over that part?

--
Paul Tomblin http://xcski.com/blogs/pt/
"He's overweight, uninformed, and litigious. That's an American