Student Pilot Gets Five Months In Prison

Old February 28th 05, 03:19 PM
Montblack

Default Student Pilot Gets Five Months In Prison

Ever Consider Lying To The FAA?
Student Pilot Gets Five Months In Prison

From today's AvWeb (free) e-mail newswire.
http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archive...ll.html#189253

This case:
http://www.oig.dot.gov/item_details.php?item=1505

Many cases:
http://www.oig.dot.gov/docs_by_area.php?area=45&long=1

Don't lie ...unless you're actually in Government.

Montblack
Free Martha fist

Old February 28th 05, 11:24 PM
Jon Kraus

Wonder how he got caught? The punishment sounds pretty severe. I wonder
what happened that we don't know about.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Mooney 201 4443H

Montblack wrote:
Ever Consider Lying To The FAA?
Student Pilot Gets Five Months In Prison

From today's AvWeb (free) e-mail newswire.

Old February 28th 05, 11:58 PM
UltraJohn

according to the article: What he omitted was two jail terms for drug
related offenses. Which show up quite readily in the most casual of checks.
This guy was not a rocket scientist (at least a good one!).
John

Montblack wrote:
Ever Consider Lying To The FAA?
Student Pilot Gets Five Months In Prison

From today's AvWeb (free) e-mail newswire.

Old March 1st 05, 12:02 AM
Dave S

He was a 2 time convicted felon for drug offenses... and I find it
pretty hard to "inadverdently" forget to disclose that on an application.

So.. yea.. kinda severe, but I think the fella was a perfect opportunity
to "make an example". Regardless of how you feel about it, felons and
former felons are pretty much walking around with a permanent black mark
on their record, wether they've done their time, paid their dues....etc.

Dave

Montblack wrote:

Ever Consider Lying To The FAA?
Student Pilot Gets Five Months In Prison

From today's AvWeb (free) e-mail newswire.

Old March 1st 05, 12:37 AM
jls

"Jon Kraus" wrote in message
Wonder how he got caught? The punishment sounds pretty severe. I wonder
what happened that we don't know about.

Jon Kraus
PP-ASEL-IA
Mooney 201 4443H

The form you fill out when you apply for a medical clearly asks what crime
you've ever been convicted of ---- any crime. It also clearly warns that
lying on the form can subject you to prosecution for perjury pursuant to
criminal sections of the United States Code.

Old March 2nd 05, 02:14 AM
AINut

He might have the same thoughts that I have:
1) It's none of the FAA's business what crimes you may or may not have
committed -- if you already done your time, you've paid your dues.
2) the FAA has no NEED of old info that is completely irrelevant to
earning a license.

It could also be that the person figured that since it wasn't any of
their business and totally irrelevant to flight safety, he wasn't going
to tell them about it. I can empathize with that.

David

Old March 2nd 05, 05:25 AM
Dave S

AINut wrote:

It could also be that the person figured that since it wasn't any of
their business and totally irrelevant to flight safety, he wasn't going
to tell them about it. I can empathize with that.

David

If he felt it was not the FAA's business, he should have not applied for
the medical form. In doing so, he was endorsing a document that attested
to the absence of conviction. Thats what he was busted for. LYING. Not
for being an ex-con. He was busted for LYING about it.

Unfortunately, if he wanted to seek the PRIVELEDGE of flying in the US
(outside the confines of the sport class)he needed to obtain the
medical. He made his choice and they made an example of him. Had he
simply owned up to it, he would likely had finally been issued the
medical... and wouldn't be incarcerated now.

Dave

Old March 2nd 05, 05:46 AM
George Patterson

Dave S wrote:

He made his choice and they made an example of him.

In my opinion, they didn't make an example of him. If I recall the form
correctly, he didn't get anywhere near the maximum sentence. If they had wanted
to make an example of him, it would be very easy to get a maximum sentence on
someone with two prior felony convictions.

George Patterson
I prefer Heaven for climate but Hell for company.
Old March 2nd 05, 11:36 AM
Matt Whiting

AINut wrote:

He might have the same thoughts that I have:
1) It's none of the FAA's business what crimes you may or may not have
committed -- if you already done your time, you've paid your dues.

It is if you want a pilot certificate. If you don't want that, then you
are correct that it is none of the FAA's business.

2) the FAA has no NEED of old info that is completely irrelevant to
earning a license.

The information is relevant. Offender's often repeat, that isn't news.

It could also be that the person figured that since it wasn't any of
their business and totally irrelevant to flight safety, he wasn't going
to tell them about it. I can empathize with that.

Empathizing with it still doesn't make perjury legal. :-)

Matt
Old March 2nd 05, 01:55 PM
Neil Gould

Recently, Dave S posted:

AINut wrote:

It could also be that the person figured that since it wasn't any of
their business and totally irrelevant to flight safety, he wasn't
going to tell them about it. I can empathize with that.

David

Fortunately, the FAA doesn't leave it up to individuals to decide what is
or is not relevant to flight safety. In this case, there is more than one
reason to suspect that his problem *could* be a risk, and that possibility
was underscored by his lying about it.

Unfortunately, if he wanted to seek the PRIVELEDGE of flying in the US
(outside the confines of the sport class)he needed to obtain the
medical. He made his choice and they made an example of him. Had he
simply owned up to it, he would likely had finally been issued the
medical... and wouldn't be incarcerated now.

I'd guess that he lied about it because a drug conviction may pretty much
eliminate his chances of being issued a medical. And, it's an indictment
against his judgement that he didn't expect the feds to find out about it.

Regards,

Neil