HOW MANY GLIDER PILOTS DOES IT TAKE TO CHANGE A LIGHT BULB

Old September 21st 05, 04:37 PM
Eric Greenwell

COLIN LAMB wrote:
Isn't the perceived light level affected by oxygen deficiency? At some
level of oxygen deficiency, the pilot will think the light bulb is burned
out, when actually it is his loss of oxygen.

This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an
oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is especially
important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old September 21st 05, 04:43 PM
Eric Greenwell

Ray Lovinggood wrote:

Y'all can actually get a glider pilot to change a light
bulb? Consider yourselves fortunate. In our club,
we don't want to do anything but fly. Yea, we can
get a few to tow and a few to instruct, but ask them
to change a light bulb? Not with us. We have to pay
an A&P to do it. Then we raise club dues to cover
the fees to the A&P.

Our club uses Experimental light bulbs, which do not require an A&P to
change them. We can't get insurance for them, but we save enough in the
long run, it doesn't matter.

I remember that in the old days, club members were much more
resourceful, and did not mind spending all Saturday winding new
filaments, soldering them into the old sockets, and sucking out the air!
The "Instant gratification" of the younger generation has ruined this
sport, and that's why it's declining.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA
Old September 21st 05, 04:46 PM
Cliff Hilty

At 13:18 21 September 2005, Ray Lovinggood wrote:
Y'all can actually get a glider pilot to change a light
bulb? Consider yourselves fortunate. In our club,
we don't want to do anything but fly.

You need to have more Youth involved in changing your
light bulbs. The lack of youth in lightbulb changing
is going to ruin this sport. Imagine all the old glider
pilots standing on chairs inthe clubhouse, with their
bad sholders, knees and backs, an accident waiting
to happen. 'Wait' Id better report this to the safety
officer!)

Great fun!

Old September 21st 05, 06:37 PM
Derrick Steed

You need to have more Youth involved in changing your
light bulbs. The lack of youth in lightbulb changing
is going to ruin this sport. Imagine all the old glider
pilots standing on chairs inthe clubhouse, with their
bad sholders, knees and backs, an accident waiting
to happen. 'Wait' Id better report this to the safety
officer!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Over here in the UK many clubs run cadet schemes to encourage the
younger generation, who can't afford their own light bulbs, into the
sport. The unfortunate consequence of this is that the younger
generation are quite disdainful of the qualities of the older
incandescent type of light bulb uttering phrases like "those old bulbs
couldn't shine very far beyond the airfield boundary so their not
competitive" and "modern flourescent bulbs shine much further".

It's a disgrace, attitudes such as those expressed above are taking the
skill out of our sport. Mark my words, the youth of today couldn't
change a light bulb without a GPS and a PDA to help them find it!

Great fun!=20

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Old September 21st 05, 06:57 PM
Andreas Maurer

On 20 Sep 2005 22:23:22 -0700, wrote:

I hope so... lmao.

Did anyone mention the PW-5 yet?

Bye
Andreas
Old September 21st 05, 07:02 PM
Derrick Steed

This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an

oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is especially=20
important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.=20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Might I suggest that you read the post on URASB regarding oxymeters and
caution regardingt their use, by Peter Saundby (the BGA medical advisor,
and retired wing commander from the RAF medical branch with significant
knowledge in regard to aeromedicine).

Rgds,

Derrick Steed

Old September 21st 05, 08:26 PM
W.J. \(Bill\) Dean \(U.K.\).

Peter Saundby is a Retired Air Commodore RAF Medical Branch.

He has been the BGA medical adviser since the 1960s.

He has been a glider pilot for longer than most of us care to remember,
first with the RAF and currently at the Black Mountains Gliding Club,
Talgarth.

He is a qualified RAF pilot.

His posting is on u.r.a.s.

W.J. (Bill) Dean (U.K.).
Remove "ic" to reply.

Old September 21st 05, 09:18 PM
Mike Lindsay

In article . com, Joe
writes

FS 110V, 60 Watt Bulb, NDH.

Joe

How many hours has it done? And how many launches? And does it have a
trailer?
--
Mike Lindsay
Old September 21st 05, 09:35 PM
Eric Greenwell

Derrick Steed wrote:
This is exactly why Bill Daniels and I recommend pilots carry and use an

oximeter at all times, even while in the club house. This is especially=20
important in high elevation areas, like Colorado.=20

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Might I suggest that you read the post on URASB regarding oxymeters and
caution regardingt their use, by Peter Saundby (the BGA medical advisor,
and retired wing commander from the RAF medical branch with significant
knowledge in regard to aeromedicine).

Severe "thread drift" from darksucking light bulbs, but I did read the
posting, and hope Peter will elaborate on what comprises "extreme
caution should be exercised when using oximetry at altitude because it
can offer a false assurance", if he thinks pilots would be better off
leaving the oximeter at home (given the difficulty of exercising extreme
caution when hypoxic), and what he might suggest in place of an oximeter
to detect or avoid hypoxia.

Eric Greenwell
Washington State
USA

Seniors Contest Bob Fidler Soaring 68 March 17th 05 03:50 AM
LS-4 ? What about 1-26 ? Ian Cant Soaring 63 December 1st 04 03:27 PM
Did commercial glider pilots used to give instruction? Mark James Boyd Soaring 7 December 19th 03 07:51 AM