We always used the throat mike.

Old March 12th 04, 12:19 AM
ArtKramr

Default We always used the throat mike.

One more point Dave.We used the throat mike with both masks, we never had a
mask with a built in mike. But when possible I would hold that throat mike
against my lips and talk into it to keep from being choked by the throat mike's
neckband.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Old March 12th 04, 07:55 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , ArtKramr
writes
One more point Dave.We used the throat mike with both masks, we never had a
mask with a built in mike. But when possible I would hold that throat mike
against my lips and talk into it to keep from being choked by the throat mike's
neckband.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Thanks for that rider, Art, I have seen the occasional film where the
throat mike neckband seems to have been worn loose, and the mike was
pressed against the throat with thumb and forefinger when the guy wanted
to talk. Possibly a bit inconvenient at 'busy' periods... :-)

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth
Old March 12th 04, 11:59 AM
WalterM140

Thanks for that rider, Art, I have seen the occasional film where the
throat mike neckband seems to have been worn loose, and the mike was
pressed against the throat with thumb and forefinger when the guy wanted
to talk. Possibly a bit inconvenient at 'busy' periods... :-)

I remember watching the TV show "Twelve O'Clock High!" They -always- pressed
the throat mike to their throat to talk. It was like, "hey, dummies in TV
land, we're talking now."

Walt

Old March 12th 04, 02:50 PM
ArtKramr

Subject: We always used the throat mike.
From: Dave Eadsforth
Date: 3/11/04 11:55 PM Pacific Standard Time
In article , ArtKramr
writes
One more point Dave.We used the throat mike with both masks, we never had a
mask with a built in mike. But when possible I would hold that throat mike
against my lips and talk into it to keep from being choked by the throat

mike's
neckband.

Arthur Kramer
344th BG 494th BS
Visit my WW II B-26 website at:
http://www.coastcomp.com/artkramer

Thanks for that rider, Art, I have seen the occasional film where the
throat mike neckband seems to have been worn loose, and the mike was
pressed against the throat with thumb and forefinger when the guy wanted
to talk. Possibly a bit inconvenient at 'busy' periods... :-)

Cheers,

Dave

Well Dave consider that we always needed a throat mike, but rarely used oxygen
since most of our missions were flown in broad daylight at 8-10,000 feet. The
ocassional 12,000 foot mission we considered high altitude work. If all we had
was an oxygen mask with a built in mike it be annoying to have to wear the
mask when we didn't need it.

Old March 13th 04, 07:34 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , ArtKramr
writes
From: Dave Eadsforth
Date: 3/11/04 11:55 PM Pacific Standard Time
In article , ArtKramr
writes
[...]

I guess the mask could be irritating for wearing several hours at a time
if you don't need it for oxygen. Again, in the movies, I have sometimes
seen RAF pilots with their masks unclipped, and they just pull it
towards their mouth when they want to speak. Very steely for the
movies, but I don't know whether that was a director's whim, or whether
RAF pilots actually did that. My own experience of wearing a mask (for
comms in open cockpit 'planes, not oxygen) tells me that a dangling mask
is an irritation, and it is not easy to clip on quickly if you have to
do that in a hurry - takes two hands and a hard pull, unless you've gone
to the lengths of bending open the helmet clip.

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth
Old March 13th 04, 02:11 PM
ArtKramr

From: Dave Eadsforth
Date: 3/12/04 11:34 PM Pacific Standard Time
In article , ArtKramr
writes
From: Dave Eadsforth

Date: 3/11/04 11:55 PM Pacific Standard Time
In article , ArtKramr
writes
[...]

The dangling mask in the movies was so you could identify the character. With
mask and goggles on you would never know who the character is.

Old March 13th 04, 07:52 PM
BUFDRVR

The dangling mask in the movies was so you could identify the character. With
mask and goggles on you would never know who the character is.

I thought the 1991 Movie "Memphis Belle" did ok in the scenes where the crew
have their masks up.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"
Old March 14th 04, 08:07 AM
Dave Eadsforth

In article , BUFDRVR
writes
The dangling mask in the movies was so you could identify the character. With
mask and goggles on you would never know who the character is.

I thought the 1991 Movie "Memphis Belle" did ok in the scenes where the crew
have their masks up.

BUFDRVR

everyone on Bear Creek"

I guess it would be easier to recognise bomber crews at their stations -
fighters could be a little less easy.

Mind you, in the film 'The Battle of Britain' it was fairly easy to pick
out the voices of Robert Shaw and Michael Cain - and John Wayne in
'Flying Leathernecks'!

Cheers,

Dave

--
Dave Eadsforth
Old March 30th 04, 04:07 PM
Howard Berkowitz

In article , Dave Eadsforth
wrote:

I guess the mask could be irritating for wearing several hours at a time
if you don't need it for oxygen. Again, in the movies, I have sometimes
seen RAF pilots with their masks unclipped, and they just pull it
towards their mouth when they want to speak. Very steely for the
movies, but I don't know whether that was a director's whim, or whether
RAF pilots actually did that. My own experience of wearing a mask (for
comms in open cockpit 'planes, not oxygen) tells me that a dangling mask
is an irritation, and it is not easy to clip on quickly if you have to
do that in a hurry - takes two hands and a hard pull, unless you've gone
to the lengths of bending open the helmet clip.

Couple of questions about the WWII mask, and, for that matter, modern
masks. I have sleep apnea, and have to wear a night-time mask that
forces compressed air into my nose (continuous positive airway
pressure). In the years I've used it, there have been considerable
improvements in the comfort of the mask and its support equipment.

Now, understand this mask covers the nose, not the mouth, so the
irritation it would produce would be at the bridge of the nose or just
below the bottom of the lip. The first versions used a foam pad
standoff above the nose, padding the part of the mask to which the
headstrap attaches. That helped some, but there was quite a bit of
problem around the rest of the mask -- it had some flexible plastic
(think of a soft shower curtain) over the hard plastic edges, but there
was still a lot of irritation.

The more recent masks replaced the flexible plastic sheet with a thick
gasket of gel -- sort of like a blob of semidry rubber cement, except
not sticky. Comfort improved enormously.

Did any of the WWII masks have a soft edging around the periphery of the
mask? I don't know when foam rubber became readily available, but I'd
think of that. Some protective skin creams also might help. Was
anything like that used?

Also, a major improvement in reducing respiratory irritation is to
humidify the gas supply. Before ultrasonic humidifiers, I recognize this
might be messy in an aircraft, with the water in the reservoir slopping
around, but was anything like this tried?