Multiple varios

Old December 14th 17, 10:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

Default Multiple varios

Why do so many gliders seem to have multiple varios? Is it that critical to have a back-up for this instrument? Do they often fail and leave you in "
the lurch"?
Old December 14th 17, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 2:00:23 PM UTC-8, John Foster wrote:
Why do so many gliders seem to have multiple varios? Is it that critical to have a back-up for this instrument? Do they often fail and leave you in "
the lurch"?

Physiological warfare.
Feeling of inadequacy/vario envy.
Folks wanting multiple things like different time constants/settings.
Display of "other stuff" when the displays start being multi function displays.
Alternate source, e.g. electronic comp vs TE probe
Hiding ugly holes in the panel.
Backup (they really don't fail often if looked after).

Old December 14th 17, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Roy B.

John:
This is a subject on which experienced glider pilots will disagree on. Many now use electronic instruments exclusively, in which case a single good vario is the norm. Others - who have doubts about battery sustainability (especially on long flights) will want a mechanical back up. I've had batteries fail very far from home and was happy to have a mechanical vario backup. Or it may depend on your OCD medication level . . .
Roy
Old December 14th 17, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Span matters!
Since all gliders are built the same, you can express your personality through your panel.
Old December 14th 17, 10:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 5:19:27 PM UTC-5, Roy B. wrote:
John:
This is a subject on which experienced glider pilots will disagree on. Many now use electronic instruments exclusively, in which case a single good vario is the norm. Others - who have doubts about battery sustainability (especially on long flights) will want a mechanical back up. I've had batteries fail very far from home and was happy to have a mechanical vario backup.. Or it may depend on your OCD medication level . . .
Roy

Let's talk politics - it's less controversial.

But seriously, I've always liked having a good (simple) mechanical vario backing up whatever electronic wizardry is the flavor of the month/year. I do from time-to-time like to compare readings, response rates, etc. just to make sure the morons, the neurons, and fig-newtons in the electronic instrument are behaving. In fact, I discovered a hardware/software problem this year when I started to notice consistent differences between the two instruments.

In 30 years of XC gliding, I'd say I've actually had to rely on the mechanical backup maybe 3 times when the electrics went south. Not exactly a compelling reason, but we're creatures of habit.

Erik Mann (P3)
Old December 14th 17, 10:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 5:00:23 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Why do so many gliders seem to have multiple varios? Is it that critical to have a back-up for this instrument? Do they often fail and leave you in "
the lurch"?

Or you simply need to buy a new toy.
Old December 14th 17, 10:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

man with two watches never knows what time it is.

and the guy with 3 or 4 varios never knows how strong the thermal is either.
Old December 14th 17, 11:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Foster

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 3:54:47 PM UTC-7, Tony wrote:
man with two watches never knows what time it is.

and the guy with 3 or 4 varios never knows how strong the thermal is either.

That's what prompted my question.
Old December 14th 17, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Thursday, December 14, 2017 at 5:00:23 PM UTC-5, John Foster wrote:
Why do so many gliders seem to have multiple varios? Is it that critical to have a back-up for this instrument? Do they often fail and leave you in "
the lurch"?

I have a mechanical vario as a second because it will get me home if I have a complete electrical failure. That and a chart is all I need to get back.
And yes it has happened.
UH
Old December 15th 17, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Kiwi User

On Thu, 14 Dec 2017 14:46:15 -0800, Papa3 wrote:

In 30 years of XC gliding, I'd say I've actually had to rely on the
mechanical backup maybe 3 times when the electrics went south. Not
exactly a compelling reason, but we're creatures of habit.

I used exactly the same reasoning as Papa3, but fitted two electronic
varios. The main one is entirely dependent on the main glider battery.
The other normally runs off the main battery but also has a 9v PP3
strapped to its rear that can run it for 8-10 hours if the main battery
fails.

I do in fact glance at it for confirmation while hunting for thermals,
because it has a much faster response than my main vario and I also
prefer it when ridge running because, unlike my main vario, it makes
'sink' noises as well as 'climb' ones.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie
| dot org

Varios For Sale [email protected] Soaring 1 December 14th 13 05:04 PM
Talking Varios glider[_2_] Soaring 10 May 19th 10 05:35 PM
Varios [email protected] Soaring 9 January 5th 09 08:51 PM
Opinions on Varios Bruce Soaring 8 March 1st 05 03:57 PM
Super Varios John Scott Soaring 1 February 25th 05 02:14 AM