GA friendly airports near ELP & AUS

Old November 23rd 04, 01:32 AM
ROBIN FLY

Default GA friendly airports near ELP & AUS

I am planning a flight from Los Angeles to New Orleans for some much needed R&R
during holidays. My wife does not like to fly more than two 4-hour legs a day,
so my plan is to fly from EMT to ELP for fuel & lunch than to AUS overnight.
Next morning we continue to NEW. For return trip, we will stop at AUS for fuel
& lunch and ELP overnight. However, both AUS & ELP are big airports that I
have never been to. Are they GA friendly? Can you recommend some GA friendly
airports in their areas for overnight stop? Thanks.
Old November 23rd 04, 05:32 AM
nobody

AUS and ELP are both GA Friendly.

In Austin, if you want services the choices are
really AUS, GTU, HYI and maybe T74. There
are GA airports with fuel, but not much in the
way of FBO or services.

There is a Hilton on the north end of AUS, but
it will be a $20 cab ride from the south end of the
airport, although Signature or Trajen will likey
give you a ride. They also have crew cars but
not sure of the overnight provisions. Rental cars
are on the field. There are also many hotel choices
along 71 west from the airport going toward I-35.

GTU is north of Georgetown and there is a rental
card agency that serves the area. More limited selection
of hotels around Georgetown, but if you venture 15 miles
south down I-35 to Round Rock, there are tons of hotel
choices.

There is a hotel adjacent to and in walking distance of the
Taylor, TX airport, T74, and also a fast food restuant there,
but Taylor is a small town so I'm not sure about taxi and or
rental cars.

Not sure of the hotel choices or quality in the San Marcos
area around HYI.

Fuel will be more expensive at AUS than at other airports in
the area.

There is also a very nice hotel on the field at T82
Gillespie County (T82) FREDERICKSBURG, TX
and many, many bed and breakfast lodges there also.
That is 30 minutes west of the Austin area.

Hopfully someone from El Paso will speak up, but it has always
be very GA friendy to me. There is a hotel within walking distance
and the FBO also offered a ride and pickup. Also restaurants
next to the hotel.

Ronnie

Old November 23rd 04, 02:24 PM
Dave Butler

ROBIN FLY wrote:

My wife does not like to fly more than two 4-hour legs a day,

Whew. Makes me tired just thinking about it. How many 4-hour legs do -you- like
to fly per day.

Old November 23rd 04, 03:01 PM
James M. Knox

"nobody" wrote in
. com:

AUS and ELP are both GA Friendly.

In Austin, if you want services the choices are
really AUS, GTU, HYI and maybe T74. There
are GA airports with fuel, but not much in the
way of FBO or services.

Hopfully someone from El Paso will speak up, but it has always
be very GA friendy to me. There is a hotel within walking distance
and the FBO also offered a ride and pickup. Also restaurants
next to the hotel.

Ronnie pretty much gave you all the key elements. In spite of our
ongoing fight between AUS and the GA community, it's over permanent
residence, not transients. Have no concerns about flying into AUS. Two
runways - you will almost certainly get the east one, which lead you
right to the FBO's. Fuel prices are high (typical of a class-C airport),
but otherwise services will be excellent. I would recommend either
Signature or Trajen.

El Paso is usually low traffic for its size. Taxiing around is harder
than anything else. G Cutter is probably a good choice for an FBO
there. I've taken Warriors and Arrows into both airports many many
times.

Having said that, if you want a bit of an "experience," do consider T82
Fredricksburg. It's a few miles closer than AUS (and that leg from ELP
will be long, even with a tail wind this time of year). Right on the
field is a "new" hotel styled like a 50's army barracks (trust me, it's
a LOT better than that sounds). Real nice place to stay for the night,
complete with restaurant (and 50's diner next door). There's a web site
for the hotel. Don't remember the URL, but you should be able to track
it down. [If not, give me a holler.]

And if you get stuck in Austin (lately the ceilings have been averaging
0), give me a holler.

jmk
Old November 23rd 04, 04:17 PM
gwengler

I was recently in KELP an found the FBO (Cutter) very good, friendly
and GA oriented; same experience as last year. They have a $4.50
overnight fee (not waived with fuel). In fact Cutter is a bit like a
50s gas station. You arrive and are surrounded by several line men
immediately to fill your plane, tie it down, get your luggage etc.

Gerd
ATP, T182 C-FDOW
Old November 23rd 04, 05:00 PM
Dave Butler

gwengler wrote:
I was recently in KELP an found the FBO (Cutter) very good, friendly
and GA oriented; same experience as last year. They have a $4.50
overnight fee (not waived with fuel). In fact Cutter is a bit like a
50s gas station. You arrive and are surrounded by several line men
immediately to fill your plane, tie it down, get your luggage etc.

Please consider adding your comments at airnav.com. That's where I look when I
want this kind of customer evaluation.

Dave

Old November 24th 04, 07:38 PM
gwengler

Dave Butler wrote in message ...
gwengler wrote:
I was recently in KELP an found the FBO (Cutter) very good, friendly
and GA oriented; same experience as last year. They have a $4.50
overnight fee (not waived with fuel). In fact Cutter is a bit like a
50s gas station. You arrive and are surrounded by several line men
immediately to fill your plane, tie it down, get your luggage etc.

Please consider adding your comments at airnav.com. That's where I look when I
want this kind of customer evaluation.

Dave

Please consider to have a look at airnav.com.

Gerd
Old November 24th 04, 08:50 PM
Dave Butler

gwengler wrote:

I was recently in KELP an found the FBO (Cutter) very good, friendly
and GA oriented; same experience as last year. They have a $4.50
overnight fee (not waived with fuel). In fact Cutter is a bit like a
50s gas station. You arrive and are surrounded by several line men
immediately to fill your plane, tie it down, get your luggage etc.

Please consider adding your comments at airnav.com. That's where I look when I
want this kind of customer evaluation.

Dave

Please consider to have a look at airnav.com.