Ferry Pilot Down

Old February 22nd 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

Default Ferry Pilot Down

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in
Interesting. I had always pictured Mr. Ahrens as more of the "angry
young man/unemployed/MX"-type.

You'd be wrong there....

This comes as a surprise? When has Jay ever been right about anything,
after all.

But why break the habits of a lifetime, eh?

Indeed. And I can hardly wait to hear Anthony's reaction to being lumped
in with angry young men, his favorite whipping boys.
Old February 22nd 08, 06:22 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Rich Ahrens wrote in news:47be51a6$0$1112
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Jay Honeck" wrote in
Interesting. I had always pictured Mr. Ahrens as more of the "angry
young man/unemployed/MX"-type.

You'd be wrong there....

This comes as a surprise? When has Jay ever been right about anything,
after all.

But why break the habits of a lifetime, eh?

Indeed. And I can hardly wait to hear Anthony's reaction to being lumped
in with angry young men, his favorite whipping boys.

Oh please. There's an image I don't want dwelling in my skull.

Bertie
Old February 22nd 08, 07:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

William Hung wrote in
:

On Feb 11, 8:34*pm, "Jay Honeck" wrote:
Just got off the phone with NWPilot, calling me from a wake (at
Hooters) f

or
a fellow ferry pilot who went down today in the North Atlantic, 50
miles short of Keflavik, Iceland.

Here's the story, from Airliners.net:

****

**************************
At 15:50 local time, contact was made with RKV ICG centre from a
Cessna 31

0,
arriving from Narsarsuaq, which had lost power in one of its engines,
60 miles off Keflavik. In an effort to pump fuel between tanks its
feared bot

engines failed and the pilot had to rely on gliding the aircraft. At
the time he was descending through 7000 ft heading towards Reykjavik.

RKV ATC Centre initiated emergency status in KEF and the ICG Centre
sent i

ts
Super Pumas, TF-GNA and TF-LIF out to the incident site.

At 16:10 the Cessna 310 disappeared from radar, around 50 miles from
Keflavik.

A Challenger 604 from the Danish Air Force was sent straight to the
scene

of
the incident and a full search was carried out from that point.

TF-LIF arrived at the scene around 17:00. No sighting of the Cessna
310 ha

been made and no signal from the emergency transmitter was noticed.

Three trawlers which were near the scene of the incident where called
immediately into action and a full scale search was underway. A
Cessna 172

aircraft was also involved in the search operation as well as various
resc

ue
boats from Slysavarnarfelagid Landsbjorg.

ICGs own F27 TF-SYN was sent out as a surveillance aircraft to
replace the

efforts of the DAF CL604. A patrol vessel from the ICG was also sent
out t

help the search efforts.

****

**************************
Pretty much a worst-case scenario. *High seas, ice cold water,
gliding a

dead stick C-310 into 40-foot swells. *NWPilot says he didn't start
drin

king
until 3 hours after the crash -- survival time in the water is
estimated a

2 hours, maximum, in a survival suit. The pilot's name was Jeff Hall,
and

he
helped NW get into the biz.

Raise a toast to a brave man, gents....
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

O'sheenana,

Not intending to disrespect the dead, but can a Ferry pilot get life
insurance? How about the insurance for the plane in ferry mode with
tons of fuel on board? If so, that's gotta be very very expensive.

Dunno. Most make it. I know ferry pilots who have done hundreds of them.
I know one who went in and got rescued, but most aren;t the life
insurance "type".

Bertie

Mustangs of Old, concluded - US-WAF Ferry pilot Florene Watson.jpg (1/1) Mitchell Holman Aviation Photos 0 December 30th 06 04:53 AM
F4U-5 ferry range [email protected] Naval Aviation 2 January 31st 06 05:02 AM
An EAC ferry to Red Flag Maurice Hendriks Naval Aviation 0 September 11th 05 11:04 PM
Ferry Permit? Mackfly Soaring 7 March 9th 04 03:23 AM
Ferry Pilot Needed Seattle to Dallas Flynn Owning 2 September 10th 03 02:31 PM