Running XCSOAR on an ereader

Old February 24th 21, 08:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
john firth

Default Running XCSOAR on an ereader

I would like advice on tablets such as KOBO mini which will
run XCSOAR; my Kobo Usb port has died.

stay safe.

John Firth
Old February 24th 21, 09:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 2/24/2021 2:23 PM, john firth wrote:
I would like advice on tablets such as KOBO mini which will
run XCSOAR; my Kobo Usb port has died.

stay safe.

John Firth

I use Tophat on both Nooks and a Kobo. My experience is that the micro
USB connector breaks very easily. So I try to avoid using it. Moreover
GPS input via USB was flaky on the Nook, sometimes froze up in mid
flight and I had to reboot it (not a big deal). So I hard-wired a GPS
module (in one Nook) or an RS232 adapter (in another Nook) to the serial
port that is hidden inside, that has worked great. While at it, I added
a (non-micro) USB cable to one Nook for external power.

For more details see the Tophat forum, or send me personal email.
(Tophat is based on XCsoar, and these hardware issues are the same for
both.)

Old February 24th 21, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 2/24/2021 2:23 PM, john firth wrote:
... my Kobo Usb port has died.

You can usually find Kobo on eBay for around $50.
Well OK $750 Canadien...
I use the Kobo Glo (not Glo HD) with TopHat.

Old February 24th 21, 11:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:23:50 PM UTC-6, john firth wrote:
I would like advice on tablets such as KOBO mini which will
run XCSOAR; my Kobo Usb port has died.

stay safe.

John Firth

I've got this color e-ink reader:

http://www.onyxbooxusa.com/products/...ox-poke-color/

Checked it out (XCSoar) with an external GPS source (WiFi and BT connection available) and it works fine on the ground; still need to check it in the air. No speaker, but can attach one using either BT or USB-C OTG adapter (checked positive).
Old February 25th 21, 12:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Moshe Braner

On 2/24/2021 5:45 PM, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:23:50 PM UTC-6, john firth wrote:
I would like advice on tablets such as KOBO mini which will
run XCSOAR; my Kobo Usb port has died.

stay safe.

John Firth

I've got this color e-ink reader:

http://www.onyxbooxusa.com/products/...ox-poke-color/

Checked it out (XCSoar) with an external GPS source (WiFi and BT connection available) and it works fine on the ground; still need to check it in the air. No speaker, but can attach one using either BT or USB-C OTG adapter (checked positive).

Interesting. Seems like a recent model. Did you have to hack control
away from the e-reading software, or does this model allow installing
other Android apps (such as XCsoar) in addition to the e-reading
software it comes with?

Old February 25th 21, 12:59 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom BravoMike

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 5:11:02 PM UTC-6, Moshe Braner wrote:
On 2/24/2021 5:45 PM, Tom BravoMike wrote:
On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 1:23:50 PM UTC-6, john firth wrote:
I would like advice on tablets such as KOBO mini which will
run XCSOAR; my Kobo Usb port has died.

stay safe.

John Firth

I've got this color e-ink reader:

http://www.onyxbooxusa.com/products/...ox-poke-color/

Checked it out (XCSoar) with an external GPS source (WiFi and BT connection available) and it works fine on the ground; still need to check it in the air. No speaker, but can attach one using either BT or USB-C OTG adapter (checked positive).

Interesting. Seems like a recent model. Did you have to hack control
away from the e-reading software, or does this model allow installing
other Android apps (such as XCsoar) in addition to the e-reading
software it comes with?

It's a regular Android 9.0 OS, it has the Google Play Store. No issue and no hacking needed to install the XSSoar and other Android apps so far.
Old February 25th 21, 02:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

On Wednesday, February 24, 2021 at 11:59:58 PM UTC, Tom BravoMike wrote:
[...]

There is also a 7,8 inch version due out next month
Old February 25th 21, 03:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Muttley

my previous e-mail forgot to add https://tinyurl.com/h1dek3nr
Old February 25th 21, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On 2/25/2021 9:00 AM, Muttley wrote:
[...]

Looks great! Moshe, why don't you update TopHat to run on this one!