soaring video with Flarm in use

Old September 16th 10, 06:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

Default soaring video with Flarm in use

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRX1...ayer_embedded#!

the guy shooting the video has a Flarm on top of his panel, in some of
the scenes you can see the display lighting up and see the target
sailplanes. I thought this was pretty cool to see Flarm in action.

Brad

Old September 17th 10, 07:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
TRKA

On 16 Sep., 19:59, Westbender wrote:
On Sep 16, 12:44*pm, Brad wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRX1...ayer_embedded#!

the guy shooting the video has a Flarm on top of his panel, in some of
the scenes you can see the display lighting up and see the target
sailplanes. I thought this was pretty cool to see Flarm in action.

Brad

Very cool.

Hi Brad, it seems you are watching streckenflug.at website ?
Old September 17th 10, 04:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Tribe

At 06:48 17 September 2010, TRKA wrote:
On 16 Sep., 19:59, Westbender wrote:
On Sep 16, 12:44=A0pm, Brad wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=3DUWRX1hcz0_0&feature=3Dplayer_embedded#!

the guy shooting the video has a Flarm on top of his panel, in

some of
the scenes you can see the display lighting up and see the

target
sailplanes. I thought this was pretty cool to see Flarm in

action.

Brad

Very cool.

Hi Brad, it seems you are watching streckenflug.at website ?

Cool video!

If, as I assume it was made using a head mounted camera, what
happened to the scan cycle? The pilot did not seem to look up or
left for over two minutes from 1:33 into the video...

Old September 17th 10, 04:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruno[_2_]

On Sep 17, 9:11*am, Paul Tribe
wrote:
At 06:48 17 September 2010, TRKA wrote:On 16 Sep., 19:59, Westbender *wrote:
On Sep 16, 12:44=A0pm, Brad *wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?

v=3DUWRX1hcz0_0&feature=3Dplayer_embedded#!

the guy shooting the video has a Flarm on top of his panel, in

some of
the scenes you can see the display lighting up and see the

target
sailplanes. I thought this was pretty cool to see Flarm in

action.

Brad

Very cool.

Hi Brad, it seems you are watching streckenflug.at website ?

Cool video!

If, as I assume it was made using a head mounted camera, what
happened to the scan cycle? The pilot did not seem to look up or
left for over two minutes from 1:33 into the video...

This observation points out the risk of posting online soaring videos.
It is amazing to see how people actually fly once you look back at the
video of their flights including their visual scans. I am not excusing
lack of scanning during any portion of any duration flight, and it
sounds like you are very aware of the need for constant scanning and
probably do a very good job Paul. That said, take up a video camera
and film yourself on one of your next longer flights and you will be
shocked at all the "mistakes" and safety omissions you may end up
committing. In my videos I have found that I need to constantly remind
myself to look over my shoulder to clear the turn before turning.
Watching my own videos has helped me to start identifying these
mistakes and start correcting them in subsequent flights. Again, take
up a video camera, mount it somewhere and forget about it and then be
amazed at what you will learn about your own flying mistakes.

BTW, thanks to lucadema1 for posting the final glide video! It was
quite fun to watch. Good job.

Take care,
Bruno - B4
http://www.youtube.com/user/bviv
Old September 17th 10, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

If, as I assume it was made using a head mounted camera, what
happened to the scan cycle? The pilot did not seem to look up or
left for over two minutes from 1:33 into the video...

I'm sure this guy is scanning plenty, even if he isn't moving his
entire head to do so. Don't know how your constructed, but my eyeballs
can swivel quite a bit in their sockets...

-Paul
Old September 17th 10, 05:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Brad[_2_]

On Sep 17, 9:34*am, sisu1a wrote:
If, as I assume it was made using a head mounted camera, what
happened to the scan cycle? The pilot did not seem to look up or
left for over two minutes from 1:33 into the video...

I'm sure this guy is scanning plenty, even if he isn't moving his
entire head to do so. Don't know how your constructed, but my eyeballs
can swivel quite a bit in their sockets...

-Paul

Paul,

Bob and I are working on the Super Anole scanning headgear unit. one
of the really neat features is the ability to not only see completely
around the cockpit, but for an additional charge we include the
extendable tongue bug wiper system.

Brad
Old September 17th 10, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
db_sonic

On Sep 16, 10:44*am, Brad wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UWRX1...ayer_embedded#!

the guy shooting the video has a Flarm on top of his panel, in some of
the scenes you can see the display lighting up and see the target
sailplanes. I thought this was pretty cool to see Flarm in action.

Brad

Is it just me? I am surprised the Flarm doesnt light up more.
Its like the pilot looks right and sees the other glider before the
Flarm lights up.
And that other guy is close!
Old September 17th 10, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Smith

db_sonic wrote:
Is it just me? I am surprised the Flarm doesnt light up more.
Its like the pilot looks right and sees the other glider before the
Flarm lights up.
And that other guy is close!

Actually, that's the whole point of FLARM: It doesn't dumbly warn based
on proximity, but intelligently based on the predicted flight paths. And
it knows about gliders. ;-)
Old September 17th 10, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
PCool

Actually the FLARM should light up stable (no blinking, and no sound) for
such a case.
This is a tipical situation with FLARM. It's not a software problem, it's a
radio problem.
The range is drastically reduced by badly positioned antennas, so if you are
not heading towards another unit
there are good chances that sometimes it won't light up, just like in the
video.

If FLARM could transmit at more than those few (20?) mW things would be very
different.
In any case, it works fine when you have frontal traffic because the
antennas are perfectly visible each other.

All users (and in the alps in europe we all use flarms since 2006) know that
their flarm is only an auxiliary help for safety,
and that many times it won't light up for nearby traffic. You must always
assume that another glider is not using a Flarm.
That's imperative.

"John Smith" ha scritto nel messaggio
. ..
db_sonic wrote:
Is it just me? I am surprised the Flarm doesnt light up more.
Its like the pilot looks right and sees the other glider before the
Flarm lights up.
And that other guy is close!

Actually, that's the whole point of FLARM: It doesn't dumbly warn based on
proximity, but intelligently based on the predicted flight paths. And it
knows about gliders. ;-)

Soaring promo video Frank Whiteley Soaring 2 July 7th 10 01:28 AM
my 2009 soaring video Luke[_4_] Soaring 17 October 30th 09 03:43 PM
New Soaring Video Paul Remde Soaring 0 October 11th 06 10:13 PM
Brazilian Soaring Video!!! [email protected] Soaring 12 March 27th 06 11:33 PM
New soaring video at SSA convention JuanM Soaring 1 February 1st 04 04:18 AM