A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Owning
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

After an annual?



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old December 18th 06, 04:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 690
Default After an annual?

When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
There are mushrooms that can survive weeks, months without air or food.
They just dry out and when water comes back, they wake up again. And call
the helldesk about their password expiring. -- after Jens Benecke and Tanuki
Ads
  #2  
Old December 18th 06, 05:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,767
Default After an annual?


Paul Tomblin wrote:
When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.


I decowl it and do a really, really super preflight check. Everything
under the cowl area should be gone over as if your life dependend on
it. Most of the major issues I've had in flight have been right after
annual. Also, its not unusual for the battery to be dead after annual.
Most shops are thoughtful enough to charge the battery before you
arrive but sometimes they forget. I certainly would not make this an
IFR or night flight.
Also, triple check the logs that the annual was signed off. Twice I
picked up a plane after annual only to notice the IA forgot to log the
annual (making my flight illegal).

-Robert

  #3  
Old December 18th 06, 07:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,045
Default After an annual?

Paul Tomblin wrote:

flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check?


Not meaning to be too pedantic, Paul, but Batavia to Rochester is about a
25 minute *drive*, as it is only 21 nautical miles airport to airport.

With the prevailing winds out of the west along that route, I would think
it more in the order of a six to ten minute flight.

Take a screwdriver on your preflight and give each access panel screw a
quick check. I have discovered access panels with screws that were quite
loose, as if the mechanic or assistant finger-tightened them with the
intent of revisiting them with a screwdriver at a later, non-existent time.



--
Peter
  #4  
Old December 18th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 690
Default After an annual?

In a previous article, "Peter R." said:
Paul Tomblin wrote:
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check?


Not meaning to be too pedantic, Paul, but Batavia to Rochester is about a
25 minute *drive*, as it is only 21 nautical miles airport to airport.

With the prevailing winds out of the west along that route, I would think
it more in the order of a six to ten minute flight.


Not the way Rochester vectors me around. I swear I overflew Canadaugua
and Penn Yann while on vectors today.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
You cannot run Windows innocently. Guilt of aiding & abetting, at
the very least, is automatic.
-- David P. Murphy
  #5  
Old December 18th 06, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Paul Tomblin
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 690
Default After an annual?

In a previous article, "Robert M. Gary" said:
annual. Also, its not unusual for the battery to be dead after annual.


Oh, you got that one right. I got half a blade before it totally died.


--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
We don't need a fountain of youth. We need a fountain of smart.
-- Bill Mattocks's .sig
  #6  
Old December 18th 06, 11:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter R.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,045
Default After an annual?

Paul Tomblin wrote:

Not the way Rochester vectors me around. I swear I overflew Canadaugua
and Penn Yann while on vectors today.


LOL! Fair enough.

--
Peter
  #7  
Old December 19th 06, 01:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
[email protected][_1_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 28
Default After an annual?

I guess one special thing I did after last annual, was have the guy who
did the annual fly the plane first. Actually it was his preference to
check everything out. After each oil change or engine maintenance, I do
a full preflight & runup, followed by a high speed taxi test. Then I
taxi back and shut down to let the cowling cool down enough so I can
open it to see if anything is leaking. Then I'll give it a normal
preflight before flying it.

Eric Bartsch
1959 Pilatus P-3 A-848
http://www.hometown.aol.com/bartscher/P3A848.html


On Dec 18, 11:10 am, (Paul Tomblin) wrote:
When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/


  #8  
Old December 19th 06, 04:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
BT
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 995
Default After an annual?

- Log Books are in order, every thing signed off, transponder checks signed
off if needed.
- A very through preflight, touch everything, is the seat loose in the
tracks? I once had a back seat come loose, it was not reinstalled properly.
- Check all inspectin panels, internal and external, touch everything
- Under the cowl, check all spark plugs and leads, fan belt, alternator
wires
- Check oil filter is secured (safety wire), oil filler cap and oil level
- Check all fuel drains, make sure tanks are filled to the level you want.
- Tires should have been removed to grease the bearings, check for proper
tightness and cotter pins.
- Engine runup, Static RPM check (do you know how to do a static check and
what your numbers are?)
- Ground VOR Check?
- Taxi back, shut it down and do another full preflight, this time checking
for every thing and any thing that leaks.
- Only fly it back in DAY VFR conditions and SOLO.

BT

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
...
When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
There are mushrooms that can survive weeks, months without air or food.
They just dry out and when water comes back, they wake up again. And call
the helldesk about their password expiring. -- after Jens Benecke and
Tanuki



  #9  
Old December 19th 06, 04:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Roy Smith
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 478
Default After an annual?

In article , "BT"
wrote:

- Log Books are in order, every thing signed off, transponder checks signed
off if needed.
- A very through preflight, touch everything, is the seat loose in the
tracks? I once had a back seat come loose, it was not reinstalled properly.
- Check all inspectin panels, internal and external, touch everything
- Under the cowl, check all spark plugs and leads, fan belt, alternator
wires
- Check oil filter is secured (safety wire), oil filler cap and oil level
- Check all fuel drains, make sure tanks are filled to the level you want.
- Tires should have been removed to grease the bearings, check for proper
tightness and cotter pins.
- Engine runup, Static RPM check (do you know how to do a static check and
what your numbers are?)
- Ground VOR Check?
- Taxi back, shut it down and do another full preflight, this time checking
for every thing and any thing that leaks.
- Only fly it back in DAY VFR conditions and SOLO.

BT

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
...
When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.

--
Paul Tomblin http://blog.xcski.com/
There are mushrooms that can survive weeks, months without air or food.
They just dry out and when water comes back, they wake up again. And call
the helldesk about their password expiring. -- after Jens Benecke and
Tanuki


Check all the controls are rigged right. Does left deflection on the yoke
really give you left deflection on the ailerons? Ditto for elevator and
rudder.

I once picked up an Archer that had the electric trim worked on. I ran the
trim all the way to one end with the electric thumb switch, and when it
reached the end it made a big "CLUNK" noise and wouldn't budge from that
position. I'm glad I caught that on the ground.

I once picked up a plane from an annual and flew it back home in night IMC.
All I can say about that one is that we learn from our mistakes.

Check under the cowling. One guy in my club got a really nice Snap-On
wrench by doing a good preflight on a plane which had been flown home from
an annual the day before.
  #10  
Old December 19th 06, 09:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Bob Noel
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,374
Default After an annual?

In article ,
(Paul Tomblin) wrote:

When you pick up your plane after an annual, is there any special things
you do? I'm picking up the club's Lance after its annual today, and
flying it back from Batavia NY to Rochester NY (about a 25 minute flight).
Do you do any special pre-flight or flight check? I was planning to climb
up over the airport to about 4,000 feet so that I'll have some glide
cushion if something goes wrong.


one of the benefits on an owner-assisted annual is being involved in
the close-out of actions from the annual.

btw - following the installation of an overhauled engine, we (the A&P and I)
did the initial engine check-out flying a racetrack pattern at 2000' above
the airport. We simply told the tower that we wanted to orbit the field for
an engine test.

--
Bob Noel
Looking for a sig the
lawyers will hate

 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Moving the Annual Up Jay Honeck Owning 26 February 21st 05 12:34 AM
Christmas Annual - long drivel Denny Owning 23 December 31st 04 08:52 PM
Annual Report Final. "Long" NW_PILOT Owning 20 October 28th 04 07:20 PM
Annual Report Final. "Long" NW_PILOT Piloting 22 October 28th 04 07:20 PM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 03:41 PM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2021 AviationBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.