74 Archer Nav light switch

Old January 13th 04, 01:35 AM
Mike Noel

Default 74 Archer Nav light switch

Any advice on how to change a nav light on/off switch. It's attached to the
roller knob that also controls the panel lights. I don't see any obvious
way to remove it from the front, and the back is not easy to get a look at
while lying next to the rudder pedals. I can get the lights to come on if I
click the switch multiple times. Thanks.
--
Regards,
Mike

http://mywebpage.netscape.com/amountainaero/fspic1.html

Old January 13th 04, 04:44 AM
Aaron Coolidge

Mike Noel wrote:
: Any advice on how to change a nav light on/off switch. It's attached to the
: roller knob that also controls the panel lights. I don't see any obvious
: way to remove it from the front, and the back is not easy to get a look at
: while lying next to the rudder pedals. I can get the lights to come on if I
: click the switch multiple times. Thanks.

Mike, it comes off from the back. Use a small ignition wrench on the nut
holding the rheostat to the bracket. Take a look in the parts manual to
see how it is held together. (I seem to remember that I wrote on this
subject a year or two ago, you might want to look up Google Groups).

PS, the switch is almost $100. I replaced one 2 years ago.
--
Aaron Coolidge (N9376J)

Old January 13th 04, 06:23 AM
BTIZ

the "best" way is to higher someone familiar with Piper Rheostats..

Does changing out a lighting switch require a log book entry? Is this "owner
approved maintenance"?

I don't know.. I'm asking..

BT

Old January 13th 04, 01:05 PM

I don't have a clue how the switch comes out but if you have a digital
camera with flash you can do what I do: hold it under your panel and flash a
few pictures. I found this to be much more comfortable than crawling under
the panel with my flashlight to try and see what's what. When it comes time
to actually pull the switch, take the passenger seat out, they're quite easy
to remove (at least on my 140).

mark

Old January 13th 04, 01:21 PM
EDR

In article a9MMb.18698$zs4.7615@fed1read01, BTIZ
wrote:

the "best" way is to higher someone familiar with Piper Rheostats..

Hmmmm... a "higher someone"....
Well, I guess some pilots do think of mechanics as Gods.
Old January 13th 04, 03:44 PM
Ron Natalie

"BTIZ" wrote in message news:a9MMb.18698$zs4.7615@fed1read01...
Does changing out a lighting switch require a log book entry? Is this "owner
approved maintenance"?

You follow those wires far enough you'll reach the landing light :-)

Old January 13th 04, 07:22 PM
G.R. Patterson III

EDR wrote:

Hmmmm... a "higher someone"....
Well, I guess some pilots do think of mechanics as Gods.

At least, the mechanics think of themselves that way. :-)

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."