Rent vs. Own

Old February 13th 08, 05:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
mbremer216

Default Rent vs. Own

Time was...when you owned any of the three you at least know where they have been, but teh times they are a changin'
"John Kunkel" wrote in message ...

"Frank" wrote in message . ..
If it flies, floats, or ****s; it's always cheaper to rent than to buy

Old February 13th 08, 12:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

Gig 601XL Builder wrote:
Marco Leon wrote:
"John Kunkel" wrote in message

If it flies, floats, or ****s; it's always cheaper to rent than to buy

Actually, with a total of two partners in my Warrior flying at 50
hour/year each, it works out to be cheaper to own than to rent. And
not by a small amount either--about $30/hour cheaper.

Marco

The same would be true for boats and women as well.

Women cost the same no matter how many guys are involved. G
Old February 13th 08, 05:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
RST Engineering

I usually do this for my math class but haven't taught math for a while so
lets see if I can do this from memory.

Women cost you time and money, or in mathematical form:

Woman = time * money

But we know that time is money, so time = money

Thus

Woman = money * money

Or

Woman = money ^ 2

But we know that money is the root of all evil, so

money = sqrt (evil)

So

Woman = sqrt (evil) ^2

Proving what we all know that

Woman = evil

Women cost the same no matter how many guys are involved. G

Old February 13th 08, 06:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 12, 5:09*pm, Ross wrote:

But the one thing you cannot put a price on it being able to walk out to
you airplane and fly it after a week of bad weather and there is no one
in line in front of you. The plane is exactly as you left it and not the
prior renter. The condition of the plane is known to you because you
assisted the A&P/IA in its annual and any repairs that come along. I fly
about 60 to 70 hours a year and I know I am paying more than renting.
But I would not trade this for anything.

As well as launching IFR with the family for a trip. How many rental
planes out there would anyone here be comfortable going into the soup
with? In Sacramento there is one place that rents a 2005 C-182T.
That's about the only rentaly plane I would do anything more than a
few approaches in if I didn't have my Mooney.

Plus, you can get the plane you want. FBOs don't have any reason to
buy anything other than 172's, 182's, etc. They want training planes.
If you want an Aeronca, Swift, or truely high performance cross
country plane, you need to purchase.

-robert

-Robert
Old February 13th 08, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Feb 12, 12:01*pm, "Marco Leon"
wrote:
"John Kunkel" wrote in message

If it flies, floats, or ****s; it's always cheaper to rent than to buy

Actually, with a total of two partners in my Warrior flying at 50 hour/year
each, it works out to be cheaper to own than to rent. And not by a small
amount either--about $30/hour cheaper.

How long have you been in the partnership? After that first $10,000
annual things start to look different.

-Robert
Old February 13th 08, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
B A R R Y[_2_]

RST Engineering wrote:
I usually do this for my math class but haven't taught math for a while so
lets see if I can do this from memory.

Women cost you time and money, or in mathematical form:

Woman = time * money

Cute.

You should market a "woman" calculator, ala an electronic e6b.
Old February 13th 08, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Marco Leon[_5_]

"Robert M. Gary" wrote in message
On Feb 12, 12:01 pm, "Marco Leon"

Actually, with a total of two partners in my Warrior flying at 50
hour/year
each, it works out to be cheaper to own than to rent. And not by a small
amount either--about $30/hour cheaper.

How long have you been in the partnership? After that first $10,000
annual things start to look different.

I was in the plane by myself in the beginning so I footed the $4K initial
annual. I've been in the partnership for about six years.

Marco

Old February 14th 08, 01:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike Spera

But the one thing you cannot put a price on it being able to walk out to
you airplane and fly it after a week of bad weather and there is no one
in line in front of you. The plane is exactly as you left it and not the
prior renter. The condition of the plane is known to you because you
assisted the A&P/IA in its annual and any repairs that come along. I fly
about 60 to 70 hours a year and I know I am paying more than renting.
But I would not trade this for anything.

Another thing that is difficult to value is tossing the keys at the FBO
person and saying "it's broke, give me another one" when the rental is
not up to snuff. The rentals are inspected every 100 hours and whatever
it costs to make it airworthy ain't your problem. The thing likely has
fuel in it. And it probably just flew around a bit so it is likely to
keep doing so when you get in it.

As an owner, I would find it hard to start renting. Too old and too
fussy. But the cost and aggravation is quite a bit higher as many have
already stated. To some this is a wonderful mental and financial
challenge. To others, it is a pain in the ass. After 14 years of
ownership, I have gone from one end of the spectrum to the other.

Good Luck,
Mike

Old February 14th 08, 05:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
xyzzy

On Feb 13, 8:15 pm, Mike Spera wrote:
[...]

Both Mike's and Robert's post show why, if you are fortunate to have a
good club in your area, that's the way to go.

My club has 3 152's, 2 172's, 2 Warriors, and (for Robert 2 Mooneys
on the line.

We have a maintanence program run by an A&P and volunteers under his
supervision.

You can pretty much control your costs by how much you fly in a given
month -- the only fixed cost is dues.

It really is the best compromise of both.
Old February 16th 08, 09:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
WJRFlyBoy

http://www.dauntless-soft.com/produc...ntingVSOwning/
--
Remove numbers for gmail and for God's sake it ain't "gee" either!

Hangar rent Kobra Owning 48 August 3rd 08 07:11 PM
buy or rent a 2006 182 xyzzy Owning 6 June 5th 07 04:40 PM
Where to rent in Seattle? 'Vejita' S. Cousin Piloting 16 April 30th 05 04:44 AM
How to rent out my airplane Isaac McDonald Owning 27 August 26th 04 06:22 AM
Where to rent in Anchorage, AK 'Vejita' S. Cousin Piloting 5 April 12th 04 05:38 AM