Discus 2b versus LS-6c

Old September 7th 17, 05:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Discus 2b versus LS-6c

Which would you buy and why? Everyone probably knows the Discus 2b, but in case you're not familiar with the LS-6c, it has 15m and 17.5m tips, automatic control hookups (unlike the 6a and 6b), and a safety cockipit (unlike the 6a and 6b).
Old September 7th 17, 07:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I'm not planning on racing. I think both of these gliders have enough performance for me, with the LS-6c probably having a slight advantage.
Old September 7th 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

The D2B has a more spacious cockpit than any LS6, so that may come into play if you are a larger person.

Old September 8th 17, 08:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Flaps are a real benefit in case of an outlanding. If XC is your aim I would choose LS6.

Carlo
Old September 8th 17, 12:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Daly[_2_]

On Friday, September 8, 2017 at 3:02:42 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Flaps are a real benefit in case of an outlanding. If XC is your aim I would choose LS6.

Carlo

LS-6 is subject to DG's ongoing annual 'service contracts' if you want factory parts or support. Details at https://www.dg-flugzeugbau.de/en/mai...rvice-contract . Resale, in my opinion, would be easier for a non-LS/DG glider if you think you may sell it in a few years.

LS-6 has an SSA handicap of 0.873 (DAeC index 116), Discus 2B 0.915 (DAeC index 108). Each has a reputation for performing well and having no vices.

The trailer, tow-out gear, and avionics would also enter into it; also, the time to the first big inspection (usually 3000 hrs), and the condition of the finish.

Choosing between the two is a first-world problem...

Dan
2D
Old September 8th 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
krasw

I don't see much idea comparing std. class ship to older 18m ship. Having flown both, LS has smaller fuselage, heavier ailerons but is gereally nice glider to fly. Ships this old start to require some maintenance. D2 is has bigger, very comfortable cockpit, is more sensitive and nicer to fly. Performance is pretty similar for normal sunday pilot (ridiculous DAeC index difference notwithstanding). Both are modern gliders that always need water ballast to really go well. D2's higher wingloading evens out the advantage of LS's longer span here. I quess the decision would be based on trailer, instruments, paint condition, price etc.
Old September 8th 17, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

To me, big questions are.....
Where do you normally fly?
What is the aircraft mission (contests, XC, thermals, ridge, etc.)
Do you plan to go to other places to fly?
What have you flown before?
What did you like/dislike about them?
Are you a larger pilot, smaller pilot, or in between?

A sailplane that is good for one pilot in one location may not be as good for a different location.

Beyond that, I have not flown either ship but have flown against them. They can do well.
Old September 8th 17, 06:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Retting

There's a Discus 2b listed on wings-wheels in great shape that you could probably get in the $50s.
That's what the owner told me.

304 versus Discus B Del Jensen Soaring 7 March 2nd 17 02:19 AM
LPV versus LNAV/VNAV versus LNAV+V Wyatt Emmerich[_2_] Instrument Flight Rules 6 December 17th 07 02:38 AM
"zero" versus "oscar" versus "sierra" Ron Garret Piloting 30 December 20th 04 09:49 AM
Discus CS and Duo Discus Wing Inspections Nolaminar Soaring 0 October 24th 03 01:15 AM
[LBA] Schempp-Hirth - Discus bT - Discus Frederic FUCHS Soaring 0 September 17th 03 08:42 AM