KLN-90B

Old October 22nd 08, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

Default KLN-90B

Wow, I did not expect any more reply 10 days after Mike's initial
reply of "Yes". I guess being called "stupid" does have its
advantage ;-)

The reason I consider KLN-90B because it has ARINC 429 output, and I
am hoping it can talk to Aspen EFD1000 Pro. I have emailed Aspen but
received no reply yet. But why would I install a Legacy GPS to talk
to a glass panel PFD? LOL!

I asked about outdated database because I am based in So. Cal. and
most my flights are practice approaches in VFR condition. I plan to
keep database current during winter months and just let it expires
after storm season. I have a Motion LS800 running Jeppesen FliteDeck
and it is always current 365 days a year. That is good enough for me
to fly VOR approaches using KLN-90B to monitor my approaches even if
the database is not current. Plus, my home base has only VOR
approaches with GPS overlay.

Anyhow, my panel update is still in day-dreaming stage. Thanks for
all who replied.

Robin Hou
Old October 22nd 08, 10:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike

" wrote in message
Wow, I did not expect any more reply 10 days after Mike's initial
reply of "Yes". I guess being called "stupid" does have its
advantage ;-)

The reason I consider KLN-90B because it has ARINC 429 output, and I
am hoping it can talk to Aspen EFD1000 Pro. I have emailed Aspen but
received no reply yet. But why would I install a Legacy GPS to talk
to a glass panel PFD? LOL!

One thing to think about is if you're going to have or want GPSS autopilot
functionality and a GPS connection to the Aspen, you may want to see if both
are possible. I'm not sure if the ARINC 429 will serve both GPSS and the
Aspen so this is a question you might want to have answered by a
knowledgeable avionics installer.

Old October 23rd 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

One thing to think about is if you're going to have or want GPSS autopilot
functionality and a GPS connection to the Aspen, you may want to see if both
are possible. *I'm not sure if the ARINC 429 will serve both GPSS and the
Aspen so this is a question you might want to have answered by a
knowledgeable avionics installer.

Hi Mike,

My understanding is that Aspen has built-in GPSS. It replace my DG as
my CIII auto pilot's heading system. A GPS feeding Aspen with roll/
GPS steering sentences in its ARINC 429 output should drive my CIII
auto pilot as if CIII having GPSS. That is my understanding, but I
have not been able to verify that with Aspen since they have not yet
replied my email.

Regards,

Robin
Old October 23rd 08, 09:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike

" wrote in message

One thing to think about is if you're going to have or want GPSS
autopilot
functionality and a GPS connection to the Aspen, you may want to see if
both
are possible. I'm not sure if the ARINC 429 will serve both GPSS and the
Aspen so this is a question you might want to have answered by a
knowledgeable avionics installer.

Hi Mike,

My understanding is that Aspen has built-in GPSS. It replace my DG as
my CIII auto pilot's heading system. A GPS feeding Aspen with roll/
GPS steering sentences in its ARINC 429 output should drive my CIII
auto pilot as if CIII having GPSS. That is my understanding, but I
have not been able to verify that with Aspen since they have not yet
replied my email.

That would certainly be nice if it does work that way.

Old October 24th 08, 11:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike

"Peter" wrote in message

"Mike" nospam @ aol.com wrote:

" wrote in message

[...]

You need to make sure that the AP is certified to work with the source
of pitch/roll info which you propose to use.

This is a major issue for pilots who have some autopilot and then want
to change to a different AI. It's OK for those whose autopilot work
off just the TC.

My KFC225 requires the KI-256 AI which costs a cool $11,000 new,
$3,000 exchange refurbished. And these vacuum powered horizons don't
run for ever, either.

x----------x

Yet another reason to stay away from King autopilots, as if anyone needed
more.

Old October 25th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning

You need to make sure that the AP is certified to work with the source
of pitch/roll info which you propose to use.

Not sure about other auto pilot. My avionic tech told me CIII's AI
need to stay on my penal with Aspen install for 2 reasons: 1. as a
back up that is driven by a separate power source than Aspen (it is
vacum); and 2. it dreives my CIII to provide pitch/roll info. In the
other words, the Aspen does not provide pitch/roll to my CIII, it only
replaces my DG and CDI (or HSI if I had one) as my auto pilot's
heading system.

Robin