Jay and the others in Iowa...

Old June 2nd 07, 10:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

Default Jay and the others in Iowa...

I hope the tornadoes haven't hit your area..
Old June 2nd 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I hope the tornadoes haven't hit your area..

Thanks for your convern, but your post is actually the first I've
heard about them.

Apparently a small tornado hit Muscatine, IA yesterday (thankfully
leaving our favorite restaurants unharmed -- we fly there a lot), but
I haven't heard about any today...
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 2nd 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sat, 02 Jun 2007 14:22:57 -0700, Jay Honeck
wrote:

I hope the tornadoes haven't hit your area..

Thanks for your convern, but your post is actually the first I've
heard about them.

That's what I like to hear... G
Old June 3rd 07, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

I hope the tornadoes haven't hit your area..

Thanks for your convern, but your post is actually the first I've
heard about them.

That's what I like to hear... G

After answering your post, I headed off to a wedding -- and drove
right toward the most ominous-looking storm front I've seen this year.

The whole time I was thinking "Great, Barry WARNED me about the
tornado, and here I am driving right *toward* it...."

:-)

It turned out to contain torrential rains, but little else. Not even
any lightning...thankfully.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 3rd 07, 06:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

"Jay Honeck" wrote

After answering your post, I headed off to a wedding -- and drove
right toward the most ominous-looking storm front I've seen this year.

The whole time I was thinking "Great, Barry WARNED me about the
tornado, and here I am driving right *toward* it...."

:-)

It turned out to contain torrential rains, but little else. Not even
any lightning...thankfully.

I happened to be doing some Weather Channel interactive radar map surfing,
right after that post, and took a look at the nation wide activity.

I noticed some activity in Iowa, so I zoomed in on the Iowa City area, and
saw those radar returns.

It showed as green, with some widespread areas of yellow, with some darker
orange mixed in for good measure. It did look like a mess, but I didn't
look like there were any hook echoes, so I didn't shout back at you...

That interactive radar is some neat stuff. You can zoom right down to the
level of visually locating the hotel buildings. You have to zoom back out
some, to see the radar overlay, but you can center the building on the
bull's eye, then zoom out and see exactly what is in your area, and animate
it, and see the time index, to see how recent the image is.

I did that on my house one day when a cell was moving over. It was as
accurate and as close to real time as a person can expect to get, for free.
:-)
--
Jim in NC

Old June 3rd 07, 01:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jay Honeck

That interactive radar is some neat stuff.

Got a link, Jim?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 3rd 07, 02:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message oups.com...
That interactive radar is some neat stuff.

Got a link, Jim?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Avaition Destination"

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

wanting to go to a flyin breakfast but weather is saying no....

;-(

Old June 3rd 07, 02:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

"Blueskies" wrote in message et...

"Jay Honeck" wrote in message oups.com...
That interactive radar is some neat stuff.

Got a link, Jim?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA
Pathfinder N56993
www.AlexisParkInn.com
"Your Avaition Destination"

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

wanting to go to a flyin breakfast but weather is saying no....

;-(

Cute:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/trave...dex_large.html

I personally like the tools from the NWS better:
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/

Old June 3rd 07, 02:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
B A R R Y

On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 13:03:55 GMT, "Blueskies"
wrote:

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/radar_tab.php

That is cool.

My favorite weather site, wunderground.com, has a similar system with
animated maps to display directions of storm travel.
Old June 3rd 07, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

On 6/3/2007 9:11:22 AM, "Blueskies" wrote:

I personally like the tools from the NWS better:
http://adds.aviationweather.noaa.gov/

Agreed. This is my favorite national radar mosaic, found inside the ADDS
weather site:

http://radar.weather.gov/ridge/Conus/full_lite_loop.php

--
Peter