Mooney M20C Questions

Old April 19th 07, 06:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Don Tuite

Default Mooney M20C Questions

On 19 Apr 2007 09:22:44 -0700, Greg Esres
wrote:

Don Tuite wrote:

brushed-aluminum pushbuttojn on left horn of yoke?

Yes

extra knob on turn-and-sllip?

Hmmm, I don't think so. There is such a knob on the yoke itself that
is aileron trim. I don't think the system uses the panel turn & slip;
it has its own internal equivalent of a turn coordinator, according to
the documentation I've seen.

OK My recollections are nearly 40 years old.

Don
Old April 19th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
karl gruber[_1_]

" have) from causing vac failures. Up until 1977 Mooneys were certified
with full-time autopilots (maybe the only plane so certified).

And they need one. The Mooney has to be the most unresponsive airplane made.
It flys like a truck!

Karl
Bought new 201 in 1977

Old April 20th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Ok - I'll accept the wing leveler (which you overrode with a button on the yoke if you didn't want to fly a Mack Truck). However I've never seen it called Positive Control before - might be a different year model.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Greg Esres" wrote in message oups.com...
the pump handle position didn't matter. (I always unconsciously
pulled it back to the top stop whenever I used it however.)

That's how I read the POH. However, the flaps seem to creep up
sometimes.

I never saw anything labeled "Positive Control" on the bird I
flew.

I thought they all had this? Probably no label....built-in wing
leveler.

Thanks

Old April 20th 07, 03:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

Gosh Karl - I thought the M20 flew pretty nicely when you release the wing leveler. Nothing like a C182 or C206 - hell during the preflight I think we are supposed to check the delivery chute on the tail to make sure it hasn't clogged from the last load of concrete it hauled.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas

Old April 20th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jim Carter[_1_]

If you're not having to add fluid, and you're probably not then the issue is the flap valve leaking through and relieving the pressure that keeps the flaps extended. We had that problem one year and a quick rebuild of the valve during the annual fixed the issue.

--
Jim Carter
Rogers, Arkansas
"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message ...
On 18 Apr 2007 19:16:58 -0700, Greg Esres wrote:

Yes. That's how you retract the flaps.

No, the retraction mechanism is a little flap-like lever *above* the
silver handle. Lifting it up releases the hydraulic pressure. When
it's down, the pressure should remain.

The silver handle I'm talking about is the pumping handle.

Oh, I misread. It shouldn't make any difference, but I've always left it
fully down (out of the way). On occasion, during pre-flight, it might be in
an intermediate position, though. I'd suspect a leak in the hydraulic
system.

The flaps are coming up some times when I'm not looking and I haven't
established a pattern yet. ;-)

On Apr 18, 7:47 pm, Ron Rosenfeld wrote:
On 18 Apr 2007 08:10:13 -0700, Greg Esres wrote:

On the hydraulic flaps, does the position of the silver pump handle
have any bearing on whether or not the hydraulic pressure leaks out of
the flap, once they are extended? (The POH doesn't say that it does.)

Yes. That's how you retract the flaps.

There is some mechanism underneath the instrument panel that has some
adjustment for the Positive Control. What does it do, exactly?

I don't recall anything at all like that in either the '68C or the '65E
models with which I have experience.
--ron

--ron
Old April 20th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 19, 7:28 pm, "Jim Carter" wrote:
Ok - I'll accept the wing leveler (which you overrode with a button on the yoke if you didn't want to fly a Mack Truck). However I've never seen it called Positive Control before - might be a different year model.

I think its always called "The PC system" in every Mooney I've
instructed in that had just the wing leveler. I think it even has a
(TM) next to it.

-Robert

Old April 20th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dave Butler

karl gruber wrote:
" have) from causing vac failures. Up until 1977 Mooneys were certified
with full-time autopilots (maybe the only plane so certified).

And they need one. The Mooney has to be the most unresponsive airplane made.
It flys like a truck!

We like to say they are "stable".

Dave

FS: 1965 Mooney M20C Ken Martin Aviation Marketplace 0 August 20th 05 03:09 AM
Mooney Down Teranews Piloting 0 February 17th 05 05:19 PM
64 M20C Turn/Slip replacement BellSouth.net News Owning 3 September 1st 04 03:07 PM
64 M20c Avionics Cover Sealing? BellSouth.net News Owning 2 August 23rd 04 03:42 AM
Mig-29 questions & general aviation questions 2003 Steven Military Aviation 1 October 20th 03 06:06 AM