OT Airliner Control Wheel

Old December 5th 10, 07:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
tscottme

Default OT Airliner Control Wheel

727 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/27wh.jpg "297"
737 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/37wheel.jpg "495"

Can someone tell me what the conrol on the right horn of the 727 and 737
control wheel ? In the pictures linked above I've listed the number "dialed
in" on this control. The numbers don't seem to correspond to altitude,
airspeed, heading, or transponder.
--

Scott

What's the difference between California voters and the passengers on the
Titanic?
- The passengers on the Titanic didn't vote to hit the iceberg. (Dennis
Prager)

Old December 5th 10, 08:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
Dan[_12_]

On 12/5/2010 12:41 AM, tscottme wrote:
727 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/27wh.jpg "297"
737 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/37wheel.jpg "495"

Can someone tell me what the conrol on the right horn of the 727 and 737
control wheel ? In the pictures linked above I've listed the number "dialed
in" on this control. The numbers don't seem to correspond to altitude,
airspeed, heading, or transponder.

Comm frequency?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old December 5th 10, 12:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
Roger Conroy[_3_]

"Dan" wrote in message
On 12/5/2010 12:41 AM, tscottme wrote:
727 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/27wh.jpg "297"
737 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/37wheel.jpg "495"

Can someone tell me what the conrol on the right horn of the 727 and 737
control wheel ? In the pictures linked above I've listed the number
"dialed
in" on this control. The numbers don't seem to correspond to altitude,
airspeed, heading, or transponder.

Comm frequency?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired

No, it can't be. The civil VHF comm band is from 118 to 137 MHz with 25kHz
channel spacing, so the numbers 297 and 495 don't fit.

Old December 5th 10, 03:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
BobP

On Sun, 5 Dec 2010 00:41:26 -0600, "tscottme"
wrote:

727 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/27wh.jpg "297"
737 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/37wheel.jpg "495"

Can someone tell me what the conrol on the right horn of the 727 and 737
control wheel ? In the pictures linked above I've listed the number "dialed
in" on this control. The numbers don't seem to correspond to altitude,
airspeed, heading, or transponder.

http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/forsale/forsale.html
http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/trip1.jpg
"727,737,747 trip number reminder.
That's a lie that has become sort of fact by accident.
Started out as an ALTITUDE reminder, so most of these start at #4 in
the left column and go no higher.
You know why don't you? When it was realized that this thing cost the
airlines about $400 each,
but exactly ZERO pilots ever used them, they added the 5-0 digits and
called them trip number reminders.
Number of pilots that used it for that...ZERO. We usually only sell
these with the purchase of a wheel for $100.
This one has one cog that's broken so we're offering it for $50. Works
ok, just not 100% nice."
Old December 6th 10, 12:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
tscottme

wrote:

[...]

Thank you. I suspected it was some sort of reminder device and possibly not
wired into some system.

Old December 7th 10, 08:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr,rec.aviation.military
Sam Spade

tscottme wrote:
727 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/27wh.jpg "297"
737 Control Wheel http://www.angelfire.com/il2/aphs/37wheel.jpg "495"

Can someone tell me what the conrol on the right horn of the 727 and 737
control wheel ? In the pictures linked above I've listed the number "dialed
in" on this control. The numbers don't seem to correspond to altitude,
airspeed, heading, or transponder.

Use it for anything you want, trip number, assigned altitude. Or, not
use it at all, which a lot of us did.