Cobra Trailer Wiring Presentation Available for Download

Old August 24th 17, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

Default Cobra Trailer Wiring Presentation Available for Download

Usually they are called "CHMSL" or "center high mounted stop light" instead of HEP. I guess either can work.

As to hyperflash, it's a byproduct of the low resistance in an LED used in a signal. Typical fix is either a high watt low ohm resistor. Similar happens when you lose a blinker filament, the circuit load drops.
You can find info on the DiodeDynamics install page. DD makes various LED lights.

I have thought about a series of eight LEDs across the top of the dog house.
Four red in the middle connected to brake circuit.
Two amber or yellow on each end tied into the turn signals.
Makes cars further back see what you're doing.
Old August 24th 17, 04:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot)

OK, read through your document, good info and nicely done.

Crimp connectors, squeeze some dielectric grease inside the connector before inserting the wire, helps make the connection last.
All electrical connections, use dielectric grease, whether in a screw type terminal block, spade connectors, etc.

You can go to a lot of auto parts stores and get a small tube of dielectric grease, Permatex "67V" (.33oz/9.5g) should be easy to find and cheap.
I have also used white lithium lube, wheel bearing grease and Vasoline (human body type petroleum jelly) instead of dielectric grease.

I see your document has what I referred to, combo stop and turn light, cool..

If running new wire, my feeling is there is no such thing as "too big". Big wire may be difficult to connect or bend/run. Use 14-16ga wire, less voltage drop, easy to run.
ONLY use stranded wire. Copper work hardens, so any flex or vibration will make the wire brittle and break. Use stranded wire vs. solid wire. I have seen people use bell wire or thermostat wire which is solid but maybe they had a lot. Most stranded wire is 7 strands for small size, 16 or more for larger sizes.
Tin coated wire resisted corrosion better but costs a little more.

And no, I'm not picking on the info provided, it covers most things. Just trying to add even more info to a good document.
Old August 24th 17, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS[_5_]

Nice work, John!
It's also easy to wire the car to International standard, even those with LED lights.
Buy the trailer wiring kit for your vehicle, buy another similar module.
Run vehicle power to both modules.
Cut the wire from the brake light connector in the wiring kit for your vehicle, run it through the brake light circuit in the second module.
(use crimps)
Optionally add reverse and Aux wiring for a floodlight on the trailer fin box and interior lights.
Jim
Old August 24th 17, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 11:52:21 AM UTC-4, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Crimp connectors, squeeze some dielectric grease inside the connector
before inserting the wire, helps make the connection last.

Absolutely DO NOT PUT GREASE ON WIRE PRIOR CRIMPING.
Wire and connector need to be perfectly clean, and
you need to use the CORRECT crimping die and the CORRECT
wire size for the crimp connector.

All electrical connections, use dielectric grease, whether in a screw
type terminal block, spade connectors, etc.

Dielectric grease is good for sealing for example rubber boots around
connectors. Keep it away from the terminals.
Another big no-no is putting dielectric grease onto spark plug nuts!

I have also used white lithium lube, wheel bearing grease and Vasoline
(human body type petroleum jelly) instead of dielectric grease.

Do NOT use other greases, and only use dielectric grease as it
is intended to be used. I know this is RAS, but Really!
Old August 25th 17, 03:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

On Thursday, August 24, 2017 at 10:24:56 AM UTC-5, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
Usually they are called "CHMSL" or "center high mounted stop light" instead of HEP. I guess either can work.

As to hyperflash, it's a byproduct of the low resistance in an LED used in a signal. Typical fix is either a high watt low ohm resistor. Similar happens when you lose a blinker filament, the circuit load drops.
You can find info on the DiodeDynamics install page. DD makes various LED lights.

I have thought about a series of eight LEDs across the top of the dog house.
Four red in the middle connected to brake circuit.
Two amber or yellow on each end tied into the turn signals.
Makes cars further back see what you're doing.

"center high mounted stop light" - Well, that's a mouth full! ;-)

About the hyperflashing. I have read about the resistor trick to fool the car into thinking that the trailer still has incandescent bulbs. Seems counterproductive as one of the points of LED is lowering the current needed to light them, resistors defeat that. I think that this is less of an issue with 2014 and beyond vehicles which are rapidly converting to LEDs too. Also, it seems strange that the brake lights are fine while the turn signals hyperflash. I put this down to the Curt converter (separates the two signals), not due to the vehicle (works the same in my 2004 and 2014 vehicles). Anyway, not much of a concern. Things flash. Good enough for me.

- John OHM Ω
Old August 27th 17, 03:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
OHM Ω http://aviation.derosaweb.net

A new version of this presentation was just uploaded with some corrections and additions. More changes may be forthcoming so I suggest that you don't download a copy but just refer back to my site when you need the latest info. Plus there are other presentations at the same place that you might find useful.

http://aviation.derosaweb.net/presentations

Enjoy.

- John OHM Ω