Cessna 150 annual costs

Old October 10th 09, 08:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Anonymous Pilot

Default Cessna 150 annual costs

I'm, posting anonymous as I don't want identify the maintenance shop
involved.

I own a later model Cessna 150. My last few annuals have been on the
high side and I got quite the whopper for this year. I'm wondering if
my mechanic is fleecing me or if airplane is falling apart. I bought
a 150 since it was supposed to be one of the less expensive aircraft
to own and fly, but at this rate I think I'm better just to finance a
brand new aircraft.

2002 - bought with 5000 AFTT, 5500 ETT, 0 SMOH (original engine
suffered failure back in the 80s)

This is just my annual bills and doesn't include IFR/avionics
repairs/testing.

2003 $500
2004 $600
2005 $3600 (current mechanic to present), don't have breakdown
2006 $3500 don't have breakdown
2007 $5400 $1300 parts, $4400 labor
2008 $2300 $300 parts, $2000 labor
2009 $7600 $2100 parts, $5700 labor, replaced rudder

There is no other authorized mechanic at my field, and most people
based on the field have the $500-in-your-own-hangar annual. I wrote
the earlier years off as finding things missed by the previous annuals
and assumed the cost was going back down (as 2008 seemed almost
normal).

I also noticed that I was charged labor for opening the access panels,
I thought that would have been included in the flat rate that is also
charged.

Major repairs outside annual:

Late 2003 replaced both mags @ $1500
Late 2004 replaced a cylinder @ $1500
Late 2005 replaced attitude indicator @ $1500

For those curious, add $8000 in avionics repairs since 2002.

So find a new mechanic or find a new airplane?
Old October 10th 09, 09:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Anonymous Pilot" wrote in message
[...]

What are you paying for? The numbers themselves don't say much.

Replaced rudder? What was wrong with the old one? Corrosion? Accident?

What does the mechanic say about the general condition of the airplane?

Look at what was replaced and ask yourself if it really needed replacing -
if you don't know, fly somewhere and ask another mechanic to give you an
opinion - did this part need to be replaced? Or drive somewhere with the
old, removed, part in your hand.

2002 - bought with 5000 AFTT, 5500 ETT, 0 SMOH (original engine
suffered failure back in the 80s)

This thing sat for 20 years without flying? What was done to get it back to
airworthy state in the first place.

Who got it flying again? The current mechanic?

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old October 12th 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Anonymous Pilot wrote:
[...]

Draw a circle of 200 miles radius around your current base.
Starting with the country airfield A&Ps, call all the A&Ps you can
locate, ask this:
"How would an annual cost for my C150?".

Fly to to the place that quoted the next to least cost at the agreed
date, and say you'll wait.
Expect to be called if the mechanic finds something that needs attention
that he didn't bargain on.

It was 16 years ago, but my annuals cost between $200 and $400 at that time.
I held onto that plane for 5 years, and flew 400 hours.
I DID have a valve stick ONCE using autofuel. That was the only
non-routine item.
The mechanic called me once on an Annual to report excessive rudder
pedal pivot hole wear, and would it be alright if he sourced me a used
pedal in better condition.

Do you wear a shirt and tie? A suit? A flight suit?
Don't!

Brian W
Old October 12th 09, 02:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ricky

On Oct 10, 2:08*pm, Anonymous Pilot wrote:

2003 $500
2004 $600
2005 $3600 (current mechanic to present), don't have breakdown
2006 $3500 *don't have breakdown
2007 $5400 *$1300 parts, $4400 labor *
2008 $2300 *$300 parts, $2000 labor *
2009 $7600 *$2100 parts, $5700 labor, replaced rudder

Late 2003 replaced both mags @ $1500
Late 2004 replaced a cylinder @ $1500
Late 2005 replaced attitude indicator @ $1500

For those curious, add $8000 in avionics repairs since 2002.

So find a new mechanic or find a new airplane?

My thought is that what you have paid in just a few years is
exponentially more than it cost me to go through A&P school, which I
finished at 41 years of age with a full time job & a family. Often
people who desire aircraft ownership go ahead & make the financial &
time investment to save money by working on their own aircraft. The
150 is a very simple plane to work on, too.

Ricky

Old October 13th 09, 05:12 AM
Andrew Kasper Andrew Kasper is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian whatcott View Post
Anonymous Pilot wrote:
[...]

Get a new maintenance provider. Theres no doubt about this. You have learned its time to move on.
Old October 13th 09, 02:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Terry

[...]

Don't know about "your" location or airplane but I will tell you of my
ownership.
Purchased a C150 in 2000 and have 9 years ownership experience.

Never an annual over $250.00 (owner assisted ie: remove seats, panels
etc.
Insurance $650.00 / year
Radio Replacement $1200.00
New ELT $300.00
New Tires $275.00
New AI $400.00

Original Price for C150F with new paint / interior Over Time engine
$12,000.00
Complete overhaul on engine $11.500.00 in year 2000 right after
purchase.

Total initial output $23,500.00. I have approx 720 hours since
purchased.

Hope this helps you decide a proper course of action.

Terry N6401F

Old October 15th 09, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

brian whatcott wrote:

[...]

Ha! having spotted a likely buy, I tried a spoonful of my own medicine.
I asked the local fbo for a smidgeon of
patterns and briefing. No 150. but a 172 at $150 ph with instructor.

How much is an annual? Oh, ten hours at $65/hr.
I must be able to do better than that. [I hope]
Come to think of it: that FBO now has new overstuffed leather sofas,
ceramic tiles etc.... hehe....

Brian W
Old October 15th 09, 05:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross

brian whatcott wrote:
brian whatcott wrote:

[...]

Brian, from a prior post you mentioned McKinney, TX. If you are from
there, then take your plane to J&S Aviation in Sherman. You will get
good service and a reasonable price. I used to keep my plane at Sherman.
Talk to John Hooker.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP
Old October 16th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Brian Whatcott

Ross wrote:
brian whatcott wrote:
brian whatcott wrote:

[...]

There's nothing quite so valuable as word of mouth.
Thank you.
Very much

Brian W
Old November 2nd 09, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
John[_9_]

[...]

It would be nice to see more detail on what was done and how many
hours were spent on each squawk. What is the shop's hourly rate? It
looks like we are talking just short of 80 to 90 hours in discrepancy
labor. That could be excessive if the discrepancies don't spell out
exactly what was done. Maybe they had to drill out seized screws
throughout the airframe or replace every cushion clamp in engine
compartment. I don't care what the aircraft is many years of $500
annuals usually means that a lot of small things are neglected. If
the current mechanic is more thorough than most then you are paying
for being cheap in years past. Take a look at the logs, if there is
the phrase "Annual inspection complied with." made year after year
with no detail of actual work being done then you are catching up on
years of pencil whipped annuals. Has your current mechanic done a
thorough check of Airworthiness Directive compliance? Believe me that
can take hours if previous compliance has not been recorded properly.
What about required placards? What about an accurate equipment list
and weight and balance record? Those two are easily the most ignored
aspects of an annual. Most mechanics assume the pilots take care of
it and most pilots of simpler aircraft never consider checking it. I
have annualed airplanes reported to me as being in "pristine"
condition only to find not less than 100 genuine mechanical or legal
discrepancies and I am not talking paint scratches or torn upholstery
either. It may be just a 150 but it still deserves careful and
thorough attention at annual.

John Dupre'

Maintenance Costs/Hangar Costs aml Piloting 5 May 23rd 06 07:55 PM
Annual Operating Costs Jim Burns Owning 19 September 9th 05 08:12 PM
TIS-B costs Julian Scarfe Piloting 2 May 23rd 05 02:49 PM
Tow Costs Slick Soaring 31 April 6th 05 10:24 AM
Annual Costs - Take the Pledge Roger Long Owning 25 February 1st 04 04:41 PM