What size propeller for a 36 V DC motor?

Old July 24th 10, 06:28 AM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

Default What size propeller for a 36 V DC motor?

I have a Bosch 36 V lithium-ion hammer drill motor with batteries
and charger. What sort of propeller would be appropriate to stick
onto the shaft of that? Would a powered paraglider propeller be
too big? I just want to get a rough idea of how much air that
motor can push. Any experienced/educated guesses would be
appreciated.

Thanks.
Old July 24th 10, 08:49 AM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have a Bosch 36 V lithium-ion hammer drill motor with batteries
and charger. What sort of propeller would be appropriate to stick
onto the shaft of that? Would a powered paraglider propeller be
too big? I just want to get a rough idea of how much air that
motor can push. Any experienced/educated guesses would be
appreciated.

You need to know some more things to be able to guess.

Need to know how many RPMs it turns.

Need to know how much amps it pulls at what HP level. You can make a
dynamometer by putting the motor on a stand that has a lever on it that will
lift some weight a certain number of degrees, which will allow you to measure
torque. Put a dummy prop on it that will put a reasonable load on it.

Lacking that info, or a motor number, NFI.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 24th 10, 01:32 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Brian Whatcott

On 7/24/2010 12:28 AM, John Doe wrote:
I have a Bosch 36 V lithium-ion hammer drill motor with batteries
and charger. What sort of propeller would be appropriate to stick
onto the shaft of that? Would a powered paraglider propeller be
too big? I just want to get a rough idea of how much air that
motor can push. Any experienced/educated guesses would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

You have spelled out the motor, but there are two pieces of information
that would be really useful.
1) Power - expressed as input watts or HP
2) Shaft speed.

3) If you really wanted to spoil us for information, a graph showing
shaft horse power versus shaft speed would do the job.

Then, getting realistic: propeller pitch is conditioned on the useful
range of air speeds expected: more airspeed = more pitch angle.

Brian W
Old July 24th 10, 01:52 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Anyolmouse

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have a Bosch 36 V lithium-ion hammer drill motor with batteries
and charger. What sort of propeller would be appropriate to stick
onto the shaft of that? Would a powered paraglider propeller be
too big? I just want to get a rough idea of how much air that
motor can push. Any experienced/educated guesses would be
appreciated.

Thanks.

These guys are experts in R/C electrics. http://www.commonsenserc.com/
It would be interesting to see what they come up with.

--
A man is known by the company he keeps- Unknown

Anyolmouse

Old July 27th 10, 05:17 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"John Doe" wrote in message
I have a Bosch 36 V lithium-ion hammer drill motor with batteries
and charger. What sort of propeller would be appropriate to stick
onto the shaft of that? Would a powered paraglider propeller be
too big? I just want to get a rough idea of how much air that
motor can push. Any experienced/educated guesses would be
appreciated.

After I looked at your question again, I see there is one answer I can give you.

A powered parachute prop is made for around 30 some HP and up,. probably. Your
drill motor is less than one HP. So no, a powered parachute propeller would be
about 36 times too big. On top of that, that drill motor is probably designed
to turn many more RPM's that a PP motor, so that would make it even more
mismatched.

You need to find some articles to read on model airplane electric motors,
something that talks about the numbers a motor is rated for. I don't remember
what those numbers are named, since I don't do electric...

You can get two motors that put out the same HP, and draw the same number of
watts, but one is designed to turn 3500 RPM's, while the other is designed to
turn 12,000 RPM's. The slow one could have a regular two bladed prop mounted
directly on the motor. The one that turns 12,000 would be designed to turn a
ducted fan. (imitation fighter turbo-jet engine) Yet, they still put out the
same power. The ducted engine would be only good at low amounts of thrust, but
allow the jet to go really fast, while the prop plane would be able to take off
in a shorter distance and climb steeply, but would cruise at much slower speeds.

There is a lot to read online to help understand these subjects, if you look a
little bit. It sounds like you would be interested. Look in places that talk
about remote control airplanes, because that is what even the man carrying
experimental airplanes are borrowing knowledge from, on the subject of electric
flight. It is just at larger scales.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 28th 10, 06:53 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

"Morgans" jsmorgan charterJUNK.net wrote:

"John Doe" jdoe usenetlove.invalid wrote in message

[...]

I will consider that when simulation flying.

There is a lot to read online to help understand these subjects,
if you look a little bit. It sounds like you would be
interested. Look in places that talk about remote control
airplanes, because that is what even the man carrying
experimental airplanes are borrowing knowledge from, on the
subject of electric flight. It is just at larger scales.

Flight of the Phoenix (2004)

I tried researching the printed numbers on the motor, but got
nothing.

Does the forward push on an ordinary electric motor cause abnormal
wear on the bearings? Or maybe that is countered/supported by the
magnetic part of the motor?
Old July 28th 10, 08:09 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Wescott[_2_]

On 07/28/2010 10:53 AM, John Doe wrote:
[...]

Those numbers are DeWalt part, inventory, date code, or (not very
likely) serial numbers. DeWalt would consider the motor specifications
to be proprietary information, so you'll not get your hands on it!

Even if the motor isn't made by DeWalt it'll still be custom made _for_
DeWalt, and the motor manufacturer would be contractually obliged not to
divulge details.

So you're kind of on your own there.

Does the forward push on an ordinary electric motor cause abnormal
wear on the bearings? Or maybe that is countered/supported by the
magnetic part of the motor?

It is _not_ supported by the magnetics. It may, indeed, cause
objectionable wear -- that depends on whether the motor bearings can
absorb the thrust of the prop (assuming you prop it directly).

For all but outrunner motors, you'd want a gear box anyway. Any
non-planetary gear box (or belt drive) will put a side load on the motor
shaft, but its much more likely that the motor is designed for that.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old July 28th 10, 08:40 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

Does the forward push on an ordinary electric motor cause abnormal
wear on the bearings? Or maybe that is countered/supported by the
magnetic part of the motor?

Very good point. The bearings do take all of the load, called thrust, and it
depends on the type of bearing whether it can stand the end load. Most likely
that motor would not do well. It would be best to use a geared adapter to turn
the prop, and that will remove the thrust load from the motor. Check model
supply places for a suitable gearbox.

I seriously doubt that you are going to get more than 8 pounds of thrust out of
that motor, even with the ideal gearbox and prop. Probably not going to do well
to move a person on skates.
--
Jim in NC

Old July 28th 10, 08:46 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Tim Wescott[_2_]

On 07/28/2010 12:40 PM, Morgans wrote:

Does the forward push on an ordinary electric motor cause abnormal
wear on the bearings? Or maybe that is countered/supported by the
magnetic part of the motor?

Very good point. The bearings do take all of the load, called thrust,
and it depends on the type of bearing whether it can stand the end load.
Most likely that motor would not do well. It would be best to use a
geared adapter to turn the prop, and that will remove the thrust load
from the motor. Check model supply places for a suitable gearbox.

I seriously doubt that you are going to get more than 8 pounds of thrust
out of that motor, even with the ideal gearbox and prop. Probably not
going to do well to move a person on skates.

I hadn't realized this was part of the whole skater thing.

You'll do much better to drive the skate wheels with the motor --
driving a vehicle by pushing on the air is just not efficient, it makes
little sense to do so if you can drive a wheel.

(For obvious reasons you can't make an airplane go by driving the wheels
-- hence, propellers).

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Old July 28th 10, 08:47 PM posted to rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
John Doe[_4_]

Tim Wescott tim seemywebsite.com wrote:

John Doe wrote:

Does the forward push on an ordinary electric motor cause
abnormal wear on the bearings? Or maybe that is
countered/supported by the magnetic part of the motor?

It is _not_ supported by the magnetics. It may, indeed, cause
objectionable wear -- that depends on whether the motor bearings
can absorb the thrust of the prop (assuming you prop it
directly).

For all but outrunner motors, you'd want a gear box anyway.

How about a "thrust bearing"?
"Handles thrust loads, also called an axial or side load, which is
a load parallel to a shaft. Facilitates smooth rotation between
surfaces like other rotary bearings, but their design supports
higher thrust loads. Choose from plain and ball bearing designs. "

Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2010 12:09:22 -0700
From: Tim Wescott tim seemywebsite.com
Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Subject: What size propeller for a 36 V DC motor?

Anacortes Fly-In (sorry about the size) coffelt2 Aviation Photos 3 June 22nd 10 09:59 PM
size comaprison: B-36 & B-29 centerplace Aviation Photos 3 January 11th 08 11:32 PM
File size Maple1 Aviation Photos 1 June 16th 07 03:31 AM
Picture size P & H Macguire Aviation Photos 31 May 17th 07 01:19 AM
What size hole saw do I use? [email protected] Home Built 22 July 16th 05 08:21 AM