A36 crash

Old April 20th 05, 08:27 PM
George Patterson

Dan Luke wrote:

Perhaps the kind of service performed is a clue. What if he had been having
trouble with the HSI, for instance?

The fact that the plane had an estimated 25 hours since new indicates strongly
that it was the standard 25 hour inspection.

George Patterson
There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures. Right next to the
mashed potatoes.
Old April 20th 05, 08:43 PM
Dan Luke

"George Patterson" wrote:
The fact that the plane had an estimated 25 hours since new indicates

strongly
that it was the standard 25 hour inspection.

Really? I didn't know there *was* a standard 25 hour inspection. Shows you
what I know about buying a new airplane.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 20th 05, 08:51 PM
Dan Luke

"John Clonts" wrote:

Pretty hard to imagine how a faulty HSI would cause loss of control--
even in inadvertent IMC....

Might that not contribute to the pilot's becming disoriented?

Anyway, that was just an example. It might have been the AI portion of the
display, instead.

If I had to bet, though, my money would be on simple spatial disorientation.
Until you've had it happen to you, you just don't know how easily you can
become completely fuzzled at night if you're not on your guard.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 20th 05, 08:53 PM
jsmith

Which we know as "Thurmond Munson Syndrom"

kontiki wrote:
Having lots of money can buy you almost anything... except experience.

Old April 20th 05, 08:58 PM
George Patterson

Dan Luke wrote:

Really? I didn't know there *was* a standard 25 hour inspection.

As I recall, there's not much to it - mainly check a bunch of stuff to make sure
it's still firmly attached and change the breakin oil out if that hasn't already
been done. There's another one due at 50 hours since new.

That would also explain why he was flying it elsewhere for the work. Bet that
was the dealer who sold him the plane.

Old April 20th 05, 08:59 PM
Roger

On 20 Apr 2005 12:15:04 -0700, "John Clonts"
wrote:

Perhaps the kind of service performed is a clue. What if he had been

having
trouble with the HSI, for instance?

Pretty hard to imagine how a faulty HSI would cause loss of control--
even in inadvertent IMC....

You don't fly IFR do you? :-))
An AI, or HSI usually fails slowly. It just slowly rolls over to one
side or the other. If the pilot doesn't have a good scan technique he
just rolls with it.

I've flown that area and had the weather get really hazy just before
dark. Still VMC, but enough to start relying on the gauges.
I've also gotten caught down there when the visability went for good
to nil in a very short time. It wasn't real problem, but if you aren't
prepared it can scare you and getting disoriented is a strong likely
hood.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old April 20th 05, 09:36 PM
Dan Luke

"George Patterson" wrote:
That would also explain why he was flying it elsewhere for the work. Bet

that
was the dealer who sold him the plane.

Must be a hell of a feeling for those folks, going from being thrilled with
the sale to this.
--
Dan
C-172RG at BFM

Old April 20th 05, 09:59 PM
John Clonts

Pretty hard to imagine how a faulty HSI would cause loss of
control-even in inadvertent IMC....

You don't fly IFR do you? :-))
An AI, or HSI usually fails slowly. It just slowly rolls over to one
side or the other. If the pilot doesn't have a good scan technique
he just rolls with it.

Yes, but probably not as much as you.

Agreed about the AI, disagree about the HSI.

Seems to me there's a BIG difference in the implications and dangers
between AI failing, which can cause loss of airplane ATTITUDE control,
and and HSI or DG failing, which could cause some loss of NAVIGATIONAL
awareness.

If your Horizontal Situation Indicator gradually turns to an incorrect
heading, do you think you might gradually, unknowingly, increase your
bank angle trying to "follow" it? Or maybe the CDI going off-scale
would induce you into a 60-degree bank trying to "catch it"? I think
not.

--
Cheers,
John Clonts

Old April 20th 05, 11:09 PM
Matt Whiting

wrote:

Perhaps the kind of service performed is a clue. What if he had been

having

trouble with the HSI, for instance?

Pretty hard to imagine how a faulty HSI would cause loss of control--
even in inadvertent IMC....

You don't fly IFR do you? :-))
An AI, or HSI usually fails slowly. It just slowly rolls over to one
side or the other. If the pilot doesn't have a good scan technique he
just rolls with it.

I've flown that area and had the weather get really hazy just before
dark. Still VMC, but enough to start relying on the gauges.
I've also gotten caught down there when the visability went for good
to nil in a very short time. It wasn't real problem, but if you aren't
prepared it can scare you and getting disoriented is a strong likely
hood.

Losing a navigation instrument isn't a very good excuse to lose attitude
control even in IMC.

Matt
Old April 21st 05, 09:12 AM
H.P.

Good judgment is something else Munson didn't have. Showing off flaps-up
touch-and-goes in a Citation at night wasn't the smartest thing.

kontiki wrote:
Having lots of money can buy you almost anything... except experience.

update on Montrose crash Bob Moore Piloting 3 November 29th 04 02:38 PM
Homebuilt Airplane Crash Harry O Home Built 1 November 15th 04 03:40 AM
Bizzare findings of Flight 93 crash in PA on 9-11 Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Military Aviation 38 April 12th 04 08:10 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Sunday's Crash in LI Sound Marco Leon Piloting 0 November 5th 03 04:34 PM