Flight Time - Student ;)

Old April 19th 07, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

Default Flight Time - Student ;)

On Apr 18, 9:22 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:
'Go inverted and autorotate to get some altitude' - hey OSAB, can you
explain that out in words a simpleton like me can understand?

I was having a hard time picturing that one myself.

Kind of tongue in cheek.....gg if you do an autorotation you go
down. So, if you roll upside down and autorotate......you go up?
You kind of had to be there to really get it......G
Rocky

Old April 19th 07, 08:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
JohnO

On Apr 20, 5:20 am, Ol Shy & Bashful wrote:
On Apr 18, 9:22 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:

'Go inverted and autorotate to get some altitude' - hey OSAB, can you
explain that out in words a simpleton like me can understand?

I was having a hard time picturing that one myself.

Kind of tongue in cheek.....gg if you do an autorotation you go
down. So, if you roll upside down and autorotate......you go up?
You kind of had to be there to really get it......G
Rocky

LOL! How were we to know these grizzled old vets could have such a
playful sense of humor?

Old April 20th 07, 04:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

"Don W" wrote in message
.. .
Maxwell wrote:
I don't kill file anything, but I do delete it. There used to be some
really good discussions on here. What is your interest in rotorcraft?

I'm a long time fixed winger (c 1973) who started flying helicopters two
years ago and loved it.

Except for the expensive hourly rate, I'd a lot rather be flying a heli
for sightseeing/pleasure flights. Of course, the fixed wing wins when you
need to travel somewhere, or when the conditions are IFR.

The problem I've got right now is that the closest FBO with helicopters
for rent is more than an hours drive from my house. Also, as I've learned
more about the R22, I've become a skeptic about its low-inertia rotor
system.

I got my FW PPL in 72 myself, but have yet to fly a helo. I have a school
just a few miles away with a Bell 47. Keep telling myself I'm going to do
it, even dropped by to see them a few years ago, but just never followed up.
Interesting they give instruction, but don't carry insurance for rental.

Old April 20th 07, 11:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

On Apr 19, 10:40 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:
"Don W" wrote in message

.. .

Maxwell wrote:
[...]

Interesting they give instruction, but don't carry insurance for rental.- Hide quoted text -

Where is the school with the Bell 47? Not many such schools left
anymore.
Thanks

Old April 20th 07, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Don W

The OTHER Kevin in San Diego wrote:

On Thu, 19 Apr 2007 13:51:33 GMT, Don W
wrote:
snip ... Also, as I've learned
more about the R22, I've become a skeptic about
its low-inertia rotor system.

Yeah, it's low-inertia, but if you're on your game, it's not a big
deal to auto a '22. I happen to like flying it. It's kinda like
flying a little sportscar...

Yeah, I know. I've got about 10 hours in the R22
now, and have done a bunch of power recovery
auto's. What got me were the wealth of fatal
accident reports in the NTSB database--many of
which had an instructor in the heli.

Don W.

Old April 20th 07, 04:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
ups.com...
On Apr 19, 10:40 pm, "Maxwell" wrote:
"Don W" wrote in message

.. .

Maxwell wrote:
[...]

Allied Helicopter in Tulsa, Oklahoma. They bought up tons of 47 stuff in I
guess the 50s and 60s.

When I visited them a few years ago, their mechanic "said" they probably had
the largest stash of 47 parts in the world. The had four in the hangar, and
operational at that time. Two were for sale, one a resent customer, and one
they used for training. But he claimed they had parts for several more, but
wouldn't assemble them unless they had a customer. I don't know what their
status is today, I think the owner is well past retirement, but that's just
a guess. He also said at one time in the 60s or 70s, they contracted a lot
with governments in South America for spraying. IIRC, back then they had
about 15 Bell 47s working in North and South America. It was a very
interesting visit that lasted 2 or 3 hours. Seemed like really nice folks. I
do recall back in the 70s or so, it was a very busy operation. Today I think
they just offer instruction in the 47 and a Jet Ranger, and run charter in
the JR. But they don't carry insurance for rental in either bird.

Old April 20th 07, 07:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Ol Shy & Bashful

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in oglegroups.com...

"Don W" wrote in message

Maxwell wrote:
[...]

the JR. But they don't carry insurance for rental in either bird.- Hide quoted text -

My understanding Allied went out of business? At least the training
part of it?

Old April 20th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
oups.com...

My understanding Allied went out of business? At least the training
part of it?

Just gave their number a call, and I think the recording said Hines
Aviation, so perhaps they have sold or closed. I left a message and will let
you know what I find out.

I live in a area along the river they used to frequent on their training
flights, but haven't seen much if any activity from this since last fall. I
hope I haven't waited too late, I always intended to get a few hours of
instruction in one of their 47s. To me, they're a very proud old bird.

Old April 24th 07, 05:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.rotorcraft
Maxwell

"Maxwell" wrote in message
m...

"Ol Shy & Bashful" wrote in message
oups.com...

My understanding Allied went out of business? At least the training
part of it?

Just gave their number a call, and I think the recording said Hines
Aviation, so perhaps they have sold or closed. I left a message and will
let you know what I find out.

I live in a area along the river they used to frequent on their training
flights, but haven't seen much if any activity from this since last fall.
I hope I haven't waited too late, I always intended to get a few hours of
instruction in one of their 47s. To me, they're a very proud old bird.

Finally got a call back today. Allied did indeed go out of business. Their
phone number rolls to Hynes Aviaiton, but only for referral purposes.
Although Hynes gives instruction at a different airport (KRVS), they only
offer an R22, with an R44 and possibly a Schwitzer 269 in the near future.

Hynes told me the 47 parts, and he thinks an VFR and IFR 47 (both for sale)
went to Parsons KS. He also mentioned a service in Ardmore Ok is offering
trainning in a 47. He did say both services were searchable on Google.