On Anonymity, Moderated Fora, and Usenet

Old June 9th 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default On Anonymity, Moderated Fora, and Usenet

Dudley Henriques wrote:
Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son
after losing him to cancer.

I am very saddened to hear of your loss. I do not know you except by your
postings, and by them you have always struck me as a helpful, intelligent,
and decent person. The apple never falls far from the tree, the old proverb
allegedly goes, so I have no doubts that he lived up to the same standards
as his old man.
Old June 9th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message

Yes, by all means let's take a look at some of the advantages of an
unmoderated Usenet forum..........like this gem for example, posted
yesterday by some idiot posting here on this Usenet forum using a false
name.

"Dudley Henriques blithered dramatically whilst picking the gonad hairs
from his teeth once fluffy on the testicles of his retaded son "

Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son after
losing him to cancer.

Truly sorry to hear of your loss Dudley.

Kind of ironic that you and the person that said that, both sock puppet for
the same wannabe troll.

From my perspective, you must share some of the responsibility for the
sleezeball joining our group.

Truly sad.

Old June 9th 08, 09:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Michael wrote:

Your observations are respected of course but are not correct in my
opinion. Anonymity has nothing at all to do with the quality of dialog on
discussion groups. Anonymity is simply a tool of choice for the poster.
The quality of information will either be good or bad as posted.

Actually, the ONLY positive/negative aspect to anonymity that I have
experienced on Usenet is the somewhat enlightening factor that defines
every.....and I mean EVERY instance where a negative aspect can be
attached to a specific poster on Usenet, that poster was/is using an
online persona and not a real name. On the other hand, I've seen very few
instances where a poster using a real name (and I mean first AND last
name) was posting the kind of utter crap we've all been subjected to
lately here on RAP :-)

Your comment about "visiting a pilot's lounge" by visiting a moderated
forum is in my opinion on it's face ridiculous. The discussion on the
moderated forum is simply kept on topic by force instead of left to the
individual poster.

The truth is that BOTH Usenet and moderated forums can be useful IF the
posters themselves can control the venue. Usenet, at least Usenet on the
pilots forums, have demonstrated, and are demonstrating as we speak,
inability to do this.
THIS is the reason pilots are leaving these forums for the moderated
forums.
As you can see, I'm still posting here on this forum. I will suggest to
you that what you will most likely see appear posted as answers to this
post might very well finish making my argument. :-)

Anyway, nice talking to you today.
--
Dudley Henriques

I'm afraid I'll have to agree with Michael. If moderated groups are so
wonderful, and full of so many wonderful people, what are you doing still
here recruiting?

Old June 9th 08, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Michael wrote:

[...]

I've never left, never said I was leaving, and won't be leaving. No need
too. Giving people an alternative place to post serious aviation
discussion is simply my project of the day so to speak.

Oh BTW, those two alternatives for friendly and serious aviation
discussion are;

http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum...isplay.php?f=5

http://www.purpleboard.net/~purplebo/forums/index.php

Thank you Max for the continuing opportunity of accomplishing two things
at one time, first demonstrating why these alternatives might be
seriously considered by some, and secondly, affording me the opportunity
of reposting the links just in case some have missed seeing them.
--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 9th 08, 09:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Paul Riley

Hi Dudley,

My sincere condolences to you and your wife--I know how devastating it must
be for you.
My thoughts and prayers are with you at this difficult time.

Paul

"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Michael wrote:
I'm seeing a lot of people leaving usenet quite publicly, in favor of
a moderated forum, because the signal to noise ratio on the group has
become so poor. This is of course their right and decision. I don't
intend to follow them, and that of course is mine. I will, however,
point out some major advantages of an unmoderated, anonymous forum -
like this one - for some of the topics we discuss.

Michael

Old June 9th 08, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Jim Logajan wrote:
Dudley Henriques wrote:
Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son
after losing him to cancer.

I am very saddened to hear of your loss. I do not know you except by your
postings, and by them you have always struck me as a helpful, intelligent,
and decent person. The apple never falls far from the tree, the old proverb
allegedly goes, so I have no doubts that he lived up to the same standards
as his old man.

Thank you Jim;

Dave was a wonderful man, and losing him was the saddest thing we've
ever had to endure. We are left with wonderful memories of him and the
time all of us had together. He was an inspiration to us all, and even
in the time his Melanoma tore at his body and drove him closer to death,
he spent his days trying to help US deal with what was happening.
Your thoughts were greatly appreciated and I will be sharing them with
my wife tonight. I'm sure she as well would echo what I have said here
to you.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 9th 08, 09:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Maxwell wrote:
"Dudley Henriques" wrote in message
Yes, by all means let's take a look at some of the advantages of an
unmoderated Usenet forum..........like this gem for example, posted
yesterday by some idiot posting here on this Usenet forum using a false
name.

"Dudley Henriques blithered dramatically whilst picking the gonad hairs
from his teeth once fluffy on the testicles of his retaded son "

Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son after
losing him to cancer.

Truly sorry to hear of your loss Dudley.

Kind of ironic that you and the person that said that, both sock puppet for
the same wannabe troll.

From my perspective, you must share some of the responsibility for the
sleezeball joining our group.

Truly sad.

If you don't mind, I'll simply take your first sentence and thank you
for that, and do my very best to block the rest of it from my mind.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 9th 08, 09:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Michael wrote:
[...]

Thank you Paul. It's been a while now (several months)since we lost Dave
and the hardest part has passed.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old June 9th 08, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
More_Flaps

On Jun 10, 7:11*am, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son
after losing him to cancer.

Please accept my condolences for your loss. There is no way that the
immature cretins who delight in posting slurs on other posters could
achive the strength of character that you just displayed in not going
into a rage at the post above. As I have got older I have come to
accept that death is inevitable, the only question is when it will
come and the quality of the life before that event. I will meet you
one day and on that day I will shake your hand.

Regards, More_Flaps.
Old June 9th 08, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

More_Flaps wrote:
On Jun 10, 7:11 am, Dudley Henriques wrote:

Of course this Usenet moron has no idea that we just buried our son
after losing him to cancer.

Please accept my condolences for your loss. There is no way that the
immature cretins who delight in posting slurs on other posters could
achive the strength of character that you just displayed in not going
into a rage at the post above. As I have got older I have come to
accept that death is inevitable, the only question is when it will
come and the quality of the life before that event. I will meet you
one day and on that day I will shake your hand.

Regards, More_Flaps.

Thank you Flaps. I deeply appreciate your post, and I hope we meet
someday for that handshake.

--
Dudley Henriques