Mayor Daley was in Town Today

Old May 24th 05, 11:39 PM
Icebound

Default Mayor Daley was in Town Today

For those Toronto-area pilots who may have missed the 6-o'clock TV news
today, Mayor Daley was in town today, "advising" Mayor Miller on how to run
a waterfront.

The bit was *highly* complimentary of Daley's Chicago-waterfront initiatives
(complimentary by both the reporter and by Mayor Miller), with a hefty tinge
of "why don't we have something like that"...

The City Centre airport was not specifically mentioned, but it didn't take
much imagination to see the implications.

Old May 24th 05, 11:55 PM
Peter R.

Icebound wrote:

The City Centre airport was not specifically mentioned, but it didn't take
much imagination to see the implications.

I never had the privilege of flying into Meigs Field before its
destruction, but I have flown into City Centre once. Walking out to my
aircraft at dark, I will never forget that colorful and strikingly
beautiful Toronto skyline that flanked the airport. This image will
always be one of the more memorable aviation memories I carry with me.
I still regret not packing my camera that day.

Let's hope your politicians are not as dirty as that mayor is.

--
Peter

Old May 25th 05, 07:39 PM
George Patterson

Peter R. wrote:

Let's hope your politicians are not as dirty as that mayor is.

Let's also hope that Canadian laws and regulations are a bit stricter in this
regard than those in the States.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 26th 05, 03:23 AM
abripl

Having lived for years in Toronto and for a short time in Chicagoland,
I don't think that there is much chance of loosing Toronto island
airport. Unlike Chicago, Toronto lakeshore is very well developed with
already considerable park space, exhibition grounds, Ontario place, CN
tower etc. the place has a lot of variety, the airport being a part of
that, that Torontonians are proud of it. It also brings business
directly to downtown. I loved to view the aircraft come and go from the
CN tower. The mentality there is different from strong arm Al Capone
(Daley).

Old May 26th 05, 03:46 AM
W P Dixon

Well Gee!
There's no reason to insult Al Capone :P

Patrick
student SPL
aircraft structural mech

ups.com...

Old May 26th 05, 04:31 AM
Steven P. McNicoll

"abripl" wrote in message
ups.com...

Having lived for years in Toronto and for a short time in Chicagoland,
I don't think that there is much chance of loosing Toronto island
airport. Unlike Chicago, Toronto lakeshore is very well developed with
already considerable park space, exhibition grounds, Ontario place, CN
tower etc. the place has a lot of variety, the airport being a part of
that, that Torontonians are proud of it. It also brings business
directly to downtown. I loved to view the aircraft come and go from the
CN tower. The mentality there is different from strong arm Al Capone
(Daley).

The mentality may be different, but the lakeshore sounds similar. Most of
the Chicago lakeshore was already parks.

Old May 26th 05, 05:17 AM
Dave Stadt

"abripl" wrote in message
ups.com...
Having lived for years in Toronto and for a short time in Chicagoland,
I don't think that there is much chance of loosing Toronto island
airport. Unlike Chicago, Toronto lakeshore is very well developed with
already considerable park space, exhibition grounds, Ontario place, CN
tower etc. the place has a lot of variety, the airport being a part of
that, that Torontonians are proud of it. It also brings business
directly to downtown. I loved to view the aircraft come and go from the
CN tower. The mentality there is different from strong arm Al Capone
(Daley).

That's identical to the Chicago situation.

Old May 27th 05, 05:36 AM

I sincerely hope Daley crosses the street and four blind guys come
through driving Peterbilts.

Old May 27th 05, 02:08 PM
Dave Stadt

wrote in message
ups.com...
I sincerely hope Daley crosses the street and four blind guys come
through driving Peterbilts.

He's so short they would roll right over him.