A aviation & planes forum. AviationBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » AviationBanter forum » rec.aviation newsgroups » Soaring
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Old February 9th 18, 07:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Default New Glider Dream Elon Musk Flow

Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

If you were to design a glider what are your dreams?

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Sustainer, jet, electric, two stroke?

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

Old February 9th 18, 07:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Rotomolded plastic 1-26s in original orange color. Seriously it would be cool if someday 3D printing/plastic sticking together technology made gliders that are still awesome but significantly less expensive.
On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 1:31:46 PM UTC-5, Jonathan St. Cloud wrote:
Was so tried of the hard deck discussion thought I would try a discussion of dreams. After seeing the vision of Elon Musk with his Falcon Heavy, I had to pinch myself. Those two boosters landing in sync..

What are some of the innovative, new technology, original thought, scifi dreams, would you like to see in a brand new glider design? Let your inter Elon Musk flow.

We have seen the New Ventus, the JS-3 (very innovative), Dianna 3. So far the South Africans have shown the most original thought.

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Light weight: I would love to be able to get to 7.5 pounds with a 220 lb pilot+chute and up to 12ish pounds wet. This might take new manufacturing methods and materials. Perhaps pre-preg, vacuum bagging...?

Pedestal mounted wing?

Old February 9th 18, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Kuykendall
external usenet poster

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 10:58:59 AM UTC-8, wrote:
...3D printing/plastic sticking together technology

In terms of cost per unit mass, 3D printing is actually pretty pricy. Note that Toyota isn't exactly 3D printing Camrys. I use it for one or two parts where the benefits outweigh the costs. I'm also looking at using 3D printed molds for some parts.

In terms of cost per unit strength or stiffness, 3D printing ranges from mediocre to terrible. Once they can reliably cost-effectively 3D print 1" long carbon fibers, it will be time to take notice.

The technologies to watch for in glider manufacture are robot tow, tape, and swath placement for conventional composite materials (carbon, aramid, fiberglass). We'd use them to supplement and eventually replace the kinds of skilled labor it takes to make large composite moldings like fuselages and wing skins.

One thing I could really use is an overhead gantry robot that could:

* Lay down and saturate carbon fiber for a wing skin or fuselage shell. It would scan the shape of the mold and distribute and cut off the swaths accordingly, and also saturate the carbon with epoxy. It would also react appropriately to minor irregularities in the placement of the plies or core foam panels.

* Cut and bevel sandwich core foam panels.

* Distribute beads of epoxy paste for bonding operations (fuselage and wing clousures).

* Locate and drill alignment holes

If I had one of those, I could really ramp up production and lower prices. It would also make it much easier to demonstrate compliance with ASTM standards, so I could justify the expense of a certification program and sell finished, flyable S-LSA gliders.

--Bob K.
Old February 9th 18, 09:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ross[_3_]
external usenet poster

Bob, just a thought. Get someone to scan your moulds, create a set of files to have your plies cut to, order them in pre-preg, pre cut and simply lay it up, bag it and cook it. The right pre-preg systems have a long outlife so you shouldn’t have too many issues with time

Just a thought.
(We do it all in house)

Old February 9th 18, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Pedestal mounted wing?

•if you want hyper elon musk futuristic, i've had some interesting ideas that seem totally and completely unfeasable, but then... future technology can surprise you. some of mine are purely imaginative, and not all that practical

First idea:
on-board super high powered de-humidifier. you could dump your ballast just before a climb, and then have the dehumidifier pull water out of the air and replenish water ballast for the next cruise during the climb.

or maybe that's too insanely fast to condense 30 gallons of water out of thin air. i don't know what am i, a scientist? but: suppose you could do it in a half hour rather than a few minutes. that would be perfect for longer record flights where its weak early or late in the day, or helping you get heavy again after dumping during a save.

•Second idea:
telescoping wings. wings that could telescope out to have a higher aspect ratio at the push of a button for long glides or weak weather, and telescope back in to make a lower span, higher wing loading when things are fast. really dynamic flights using many types of lift could benefit from the glider being able to shift gears too. i also thought about a glider that could have its wings sweepback a little sort of like an F-14. wonder how that would work with really fast flight to reduce drag, et cet.

•Smart flaps: automated flaps that make minor adjustments to keep optimal angle of attack

•also, these flaps:

http://www.flxsys.com/flexfoil/

This is something i envisioned for gliders and then i stumbled upon it and realized someone is already working on this! besides eliminating gap seals, drag from gap seals, and improving laminar flow in the aft part of an airfoil, it could be used to modify the airfoil shape for slow and fast flight..

•i always thought it would be cool if there was a glider with Fly-by wire, for very thin wings. the Nixus project is already doing this, so that's cool!
https://www.facebook.com/NixusProjec...3258876640913/

•FES where the prop sits flush in a garage on the fuselage like the more advanced bugwipers do.

•gliders with enough battery power (this one is more battery technology related, enter elon musk) to run a cockpit heater for winter, or high altitude flights flights.
Old February 9th 18, 09:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ND
external usenet poster

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 3:36:54 PM UTC-5, ND wrote:

18/21 or 15/18 meters

Pedestal mounted wing?

•if you want hyper elon musk futuristic, i've had some interesting ideas that seem totally and completely unfeasable, but then... future technology can surprise you. some of mine are purely imaginative, and not all that practical

First idea:
on-board super high powered de-humidifier. you could dump your ballast just before a climb, and then have the dehumidifier pull water out of the air and replenish water ballast for the next cruise during the climb.

or maybe that's too insanely fast to condense 30 gallons of water out of thin air. i don't know what am i, a scientist? but: suppose you could do it in a half hour rather than a few minutes. that would be perfect for longer record flights where its weak early or late in the day, or helping you get heavy again after dumping during a save.

•Second idea:
telescoping wings. wings that could telescope out to have a higher aspect ratio at the push of a button for long glides or weak weather, and telescope back in to make a lower span, higher wing loading when things are fast. really dynamic flights using many types of lift could benefit from the glider being able to shift gears too. i also thought about a glider that could have its wings sweepback a little sort of like an F-14. wonder how that would work with really fast flight to reduce drag, et cet.

•Smart flaps: automated flaps that make minor adjustments to keep optimal angle of attack

•also, these flaps:

http://www.flxsys.com/flexfoil/

This is something i envisioned for gliders and then i stumbled upon it and realized someone is already working on this! besides eliminating gap seals, drag from gap seals, and improving laminar flow in the aft part of an airfoil, it could be used to modify the airfoil shape for slow and fast flight.

•i always thought it would be cool if there was a glider with Fly-by wire, for very thin wings. the Nixus project is already doing this, so that's cool!
https://www.facebook.com/NixusProjec...3258876640913/

•FES where the prop sits flush in a garage on the fuselage like the more advanced bugwipers do.

•gliders with enough battery power (this one is more battery technology related, enter elon musk) to run a cockpit heater for winter, or high altitude flights flights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=9ZpAHxMj5lU
Old February 9th 18, 10:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Agnew
external usenet poster

Pre-fabricated, modular, bolt-on replacement tail booms for Grob 103s and other ships that immediately lose their useful load with a tailboom repair.

Old February 10th 18, 02:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus
external usenet poster

I think, the most original thought was Diana 2 sparless wing, that allowed the highest wing loading range of any sailplane.

Old February 10th 18, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jonathan St. Cloud
external usenet poster

Why has that technology not been used in other gliders?

On Friday, February 9, 2018 at 5:57:15 PM UTC-8, Andrzej Kobus wrote:

I think, the most original thought was Diana 2 sparless wing, that allowed the highest wing loading range of any sailplane.

Old February 10th 18, 04:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ben Coleman
external usenet poster

Robotic paint/gelcoat removal and reprofiling.

Cheers Ben