Time to replace the carpeting in my Cobra trailer

Old November 9th 16, 10:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

Default Time to replace the carpeting in my Cobra trailer

The carpeting around the jack, the fold down door, and the cradle is finally falling apart. Does anyone have any recommendations for the type of carpet to use as a replacement and what type of glue to use to secure it?

Thanks in advance.

Old November 9th 16, 10:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Scott Williams

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 4:10:57 PM UTC-6, Matt Herron Jr. wrote:
The carpeting around the jack, the fold down door, and the cradle is finally falling apart. Does anyone have any recommendations for the type of carpet to use as a replacement and what type of glue to use to secure it?

Thanks in advance.

I've had very good luck with indoor/outdoor carpet adhesive, thick and spreadable, used it for felt on trailer fixtures as well, I bought a grey small roll of closed loop carpet at lowes which resembles cobra stuff for less than $30 good luck,
Scott W.
Old November 9th 16, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wings and Wheels sells Cobra carpet, exact match.
Old November 9th 16, 11:11 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Wings and Wheels has Cobra carpet, exact match. Contact cement works fine.
Old November 9th 16, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I stongly advise NOT using Cobra replacement carpet. The failure mode for Cobra carpet is the rubber backing. My carpet started falling out of the top of the trailer three years after the trailer was made. I reglued it but the failure was the rubber backing and the carpet fell down the next year.
Use indoor/outdoor carpet and you should be golden.
However...make sure to remove all the old rubber backing and glue from the trailer before placing the new stuff.
Old November 10th 16, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do not use the foam backed Cobra carpet unless you want to go through this process again in a few years. The factory carpet has a foam layer between the fabric and the adhesive that dries out rapidly in anything less than the green, high humidity environment in Europe. In the western US, it starts to separate and fall apart within a year or two.

Use a decent short pile outdoor carpet with a rubber backing and a construction adhesive like Liquid Nails or DAP Beats The Nail to glue it on. Work the adhesive into the textured rubber carpet backing and press immediately into place. More glue is better. The stuff is cheap. A $2.00 tube should be enough for everything.

Carpet: Look up Daystar Marine carpet from Gander Mountain. I use it on the wing wheels I build and it holds up well.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modper...ls.cgi?i=71847
Old November 10th 16, 01:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Old November 10th 16, 02:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I just bought a nice 6'x9' or so roll of carpet at Home Depot for around $18. Very short pile and no backing.

Tom
Old November 10th 16, 03:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
6PK

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 6:36:30 PM UTC-8, wrote:
I just bought a nice 6'x9' or so roll of carpet at Home Depot for around $18. Very short pile and no backing.

Tom

Automotive type carpeting generally sold at auto re upholstery stores (not floor covering) are light weight and pliable. Light weight is the magic here, makes no difference cut pile or loop, generally cut pile will work better as it won't unravel.
As far as glues - contact cement is what you want but be careful not to buy the "green" labeled ones as they simply don't work. The old fashioned stuff unfortunately is only sold in small cans, makes it more expensive but it is still worth it, make sure you know how to use it or better yet get advise from someone who does- you could end up with sagging messy carpet all over the place and very sticky fingers otherwise.
Just so happens to be in the business for more decades than I care to admit....
Old November 10th 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Matt Herron Jr.

This is great folks. I think I have everything I need for a quick winter project. Thank you for all the advice!

Matt