C172 crash at Coney Island

Old May 22nd 05, 02:42 AM
Matt Whiting

Ernest C. Evans wrote:
I'm not a pilot but I was wondering why this plane went down "nose first"
??? I'm thinkin', don't these things have some gliding ability ???

i guess the pilot must've been too low to recover ..... Having an engine
quit on you is bad enough luck ..... but having it happened when you just
happen to be at a low altitude is even worse luck ! (

Are you sure the engine quit?

Matt
Old May 22nd 05, 03:12 AM
George Patterson

Ben Hallert wrote:
The class B floor is 500? Sounds like a recipe for some sort of
airspace version of scud running, which in turns sounds like a great
way to have unrecoverable stalls/engine outs, controlled flight into
terrain/water.

Why? Do you think that there are many pilots out there who can't fly straight
and level and control their altitude within 500'? IMO, anyone who can't fly
safely in that airspace shouldn't be in the left seat.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 22nd 05, 03:13 AM
George Patterson

Gary Drescher wrote:
Four people died aboard a 172 that crashed at Coney Island today
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/ny...2crash.html?hp).

I find it interesting that this is dated tomorrow.

Old May 22nd 05, 04:23 AM
Ben Hallert

You're right, I forgot that the FARs excepted water from the 500ft
minimum. My mistake!

Old May 22nd 05, 04:27 AM
Morgans

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Gary Drescher wrote:
Four people died aboard a 172 that crashed at Coney Island today
(http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/22/ny...2crash.html?hp).

I find it interesting that this is dated tomorrow.

Perhaps it is past the deadline for this morning's paper, and will be in
tomorrow morning's paper? Just a guess. g
--
Jim in NC

Old May 22nd 05, 05:18 AM
Ron Garret

In article ,
Ron Natalie wrote:

Ben Hallert wrote:
The class B floor is 500? Sounds like a recipe for some sort of
airspace version of scud running, which in turns sounds like a great
way to have unrecoverable stalls/engine outs, controlled flight into
terrain/water.

The airspace below is over open water. It's perfectly reasonable.

Actually, significant parts of the 500' floor are over densely populated
areas of New Jersey. (Wow, what a hairy-assed chunk of airspace.
There's a teeny weeny triangle of 500' floor wedged in between a section
with an 800' floor and the EWR central core. That's gotta be the
smallest separately charted chunk of controlled airspace in the world.)

rg
Old May 22nd 05, 06:12 AM
Montblack

("Matt Whiting" wrote)
Are you sure the engine quit?

Yes. CBS Evening news (Saturday evening) said the engine stalled.

Montblack

Old May 22nd 05, 11:01 AM
Greg Farris

In article ,
says...

("Matt Whiting" wrote)
Are you sure the engine quit?

Yes. CBS Evening news (Saturday evening) said the engine stalled.

That in itself is good reason to suspect something else!
It appears the initial investigators told the press something about
stall/spin, which though preliminary appears to be the most likely
scenario.

The brief report I read said "The engine satlled and the plane went into
a tailspin". I assume they can determine this from measuring the rubber
marks in the clouds!

G Faris

Old May 22nd 05, 11:51 AM
Patrick Mayer

Hi,

You're right, I forgot that the FARs excepted water from the 500ft
minimum. My mistake!

IIRC there's a "+" behind the "500" -meaning you're perfectly legal to fly
at exactly 500ft. I've done it before, it's perfectly safe if you keep up
your airspeed. Once the fan quits, you just land on the beach straight
ahead, or in the water

Patrick