Incursion statement issued

Old May 24th 05, 03:06 AM
JohnH

They embarrassed the rest of us.

They didn't embarass me. I don't identify with them at all. I'm not
without sympathy, but they screwed the pooch and now Shaeffer has to
pay.

Your pooch is getting it in the end as well from others flying in this
manner.

A few more of these and the Bushies will fill all our cylinders with sand.

Old May 24th 05, 03:44 AM
JohnH

Reads like someone trying to cover his ass.
No cheap GPS? No backup radio? No idea where Washington DC is? No
idea what a Blackhawk helicopter trying to communicate with them
might mean?

I do know that as a student, I performed every aspect of pre-flight
and flight planning. My instructor would make a cursory inspection of
the plane and my plan, but usually no more. If the narrative is
accurate, the student did nothing but fly the plane. Exactly how was
this student learning to do anything but point the plane in the
general direction he wanted to go?

This doesn't appear to have been originally intended as a training flight.
Sadly, it was in more ways than one

Old May 24th 05, 03:55 AM
Gary Drescher

"Wizard of Draws" wrote in
message news:BEB80303.71037%jeffbTAKEOUTALLCAPS@TOEMAILwiz ardofdraws.com...
If the narrative is accurate, the student
did nothing but fly the plane. Exactly how was this student learning to do
anything but point the plane in the general direction he wanted to go?

He wasn't flying with a CFI. It wasn't a training flight. He was just a
passenger manipulating the controls.

--Gary

Old May 24th 05, 04:31 AM
John T

"Larry Dighera" wrote in message

Without a sectional of that end of the country, I have difficulty
appreciating the diversion. Could you describe it?

DC area including ADIZ and P-40:
http://www.aopa.org/images/whatsnew/.../03-1-063x.jpg

Flight path:
http://tinyurl.com/8ow44

They weren't trying to avoid P-40 (Camp David airspace NW of Washington).
They were on a direct path to Lumberton, NC.

Without more information, it's difficult to assign blame for the
inability to communicate. Certainly, your hypothesis is one possible
explanation, but I could think of others...

Larry, this is the worst baiting attempt I've seen from you. What frequency
do you think they requested first? Even if it wasn't a "standard"
frequency, what frequency *should* the pilot have tuned during an intercept
procedure? If *ALL* else fails, what frequency would you attempt to use?

As with your earlier analogy, the Florida MAC had *nothing* in common with
this issue.

Of course, that's not true. If the C-150 had gotten closer to the
White House, it would have been downed.

Perhaps. The point remains the intercept pilots did not request nor were
granted permission (authority) to open fire at any point in this scenario.
Therefore, nobody had authority to shoot down the plane.

Please cite the source of your assertion. Or is it just your guess?

Several news stories reported what I said. Show me otherwise.

Define "worked". The inability to establish communications certainly
confirms that the system almost resulted in the death of two airmen.

No, it didn't. Their negligence almost killed them.

Again, this should not in any way be construed as any kind of support for
the ADIZ, but I certainly wouldn't go flying around Nevada without knowing
*exactly* where I should *not* be. Likewise, if you're not familiar with
the DC area and the ADIZ procedures, do yourself (and the rest of us) a
favor and stay well clear.

(unfortunately, since this will probably bolster
various alphabet soup agencies around DC).

What is that supposed to mean?

It plays into the hands of various security agencies that want a much more
restrictive airspace around DC.

You have provided no evidence that the C-150 pilots were at fault for
the initial lack of communication. It's pretty clear the PIC was
negligent, but he deserves to be heard before conclusions are drawn.

Oh, please. Read their own statement:
"...our radio had been working during the flight, which we know, because we
were able to monitor other aircraft communications... [After turning
westbound] we were then able to establish two-way radio communication on the
original emergency frequency..."

Their radio suddenly worked after they turned 90 degrees and visually
verified they'd screwed the royal pooch. I'm not buying the idea that they
could not raise ANYbody on 121.5. Not in this area. Even *IF* the
Blackhawk crew had accidentally turned off that frequency, I guarantee
either the Citation, the F-16s, Potomac TRACON or one of the many aircraft
in the area listening to guard on COM2 would have heard and responded.

I doubt you're naive enough to honestly think *all* of the intercept aircrew
and everybody else in the area were not listening to 121.5.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer

Old May 24th 05, 04:54 AM
Jay Beckman

"John T" wrote in message
Their radio suddenly worked after they turned 90 degrees and visually
verified they'd screwed the royal pooch. I'm not buying the idea that
they could not raise ANYbody on 121.5. Not in this area. Even *IF* the
Blackhawk crew had accidentally turned off that frequency, I guarantee
either the Citation, the F-16s, Potomac TRACON or one of the many aircraft
in the area listening to guard on COM2 would have heard and responded.

I doubt you're naive enough to honestly think *all* of the intercept
aircrew and everybody else in the area were not listening to 121.5.

--
John T
http://tknowlogy.com/TknoFlyer
http://www.pocketgear.com/products_s...veloperid=4415
____________________

Somone over on r.a.student posted that there may have been an ELT inerfering
with 121.5 in the area at the time.

FWIW,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Old May 24th 05, 05:02 AM
Dave Stadt

"Jens Krueger" wrote in message
Larry Dighera wrote:

We agreed that Jim, as the pilot in command, would supervise the
flight while Troy would fly the airplane, which he did during the
entire flight.

Huh? Is 'Jim' a CFI? Thought the Troy guy was a student pilot?

Jim is not a CFI and Troy is a student pilot. What's your point?

Old May 24th 05, 05:05 AM
George Patterson

Corky Scott wrote:
The two pilots who flew their Cessna 150 into the Washington ADIZ have
issued a statement explaining what happened.

Alternate URL
http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/050520/205544.html?.v=1

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 24th 05, 05:09 AM
Grumman-581

"John T" wrote in message
It plays into the hands of various security agencies that want a much more
restrictive airspace around DC.

Then let 'em have it... Pick a particular distance -- say 20 miles -- and
put a ring of lasers or search lights pointing straight up... ALL aircraft
are prohibited from this area... No Congress-critters coming into there, no
presidential helicopters, NOTHING... Make EVERYONE have to land somewhere
outside of this 20 mile radius... While we're at it, let's ban ALL motor
vehicular traffic within this 20 mile radius also... Some might say that the
government would grind to a hault... AND THIS WOULD BE A BAD THING???

Maybe even build a wall around the city to keep all the crooks inside the
city?

Old May 24th 05, 05:23 AM
George Patterson

John T wrote:

Set the frequency in COM1, but transmit on COM2?

In a Cessna 150? Maybe, but twin NAV/COMs are pretty rare.

I'm
sorry, but as much as I would like to see the ADIZ disappear and make my
flying life easier, these guys are not who I want to share my airspace with
if:
a) they can't figure out they're 15 miles inside restricted airspace;
b) they don't alter course after interception;
c) they can't figure out they set the frequency in COM1 but are transmitting
on COM2 (speculation).

In addition to that, there are several excellent VORs that keep you out of the
ADIZ *and* P-40. Just head for Westminster, then Frederick, then a dogleg to
Linden, and you're around everything.

It's difficult not to be hard on these two "pilots". They didn't realize
they were miles into restricted airspace, couldn't properly work their
radios, took great pains to avoid prohibited airspace a fraction the size of
the ADIZ, but did not opt to completely avoid the ADIZ by moving East a few
more miles.

Or West. They selected a course pretty much right in the middle of the danger arc.

At *best* they showed extremely poor judgement. At worst, they shouldn't be
flying with navigation skills so poor they had to turn 90 degrees to
visually identify their position.

The FAA agrees. Schaeffer is charged with violations of FARs 61.57(a), FAR
91.103, FAR 91.13(a), FAR 91.131(a)(1), FAR 73.83, FAR 91.133(a), FAR 91.139(c),
and FAR 99.7. They've revoked his certificate. He can try to get it back after a
year. He's appealing.

Old May 24th 05, 05:24 AM
Montblack

("Grumman-581" wrote)
[snip]
Maybe even build a wall around the city to keep all the crooks inside the
city?

Escape from DC - the movie. This one has legs...

Montblack

ANOTHER airspace incursion in D.C.? Jay Honeck Piloting 53 November 17th 03 03:19 PM
Rwy incursions Hankal Piloting 10 November 16th 03 02:33 AM
New Air Force guidance issued for frocking Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 September 24th 03 12:10 AM
FAA Waiver / Security Statement Ron Natalie Piloting 0 July 24th 03 12:22 AM