Semi - NORDO in a Champ to Oshkosh - Misc questions

Old May 25th 05, 04:57 PM
Mike Johnson

Default Semi - NORDO in a Champ to Oshkosh - Misc questions

Wife and I want to go to Oshkosh this year in our '46 Champ.
It's about 850 - 900 miles from the east coast, and we'd
like to camp along the way and after we arrive.

I'd love any suggestions, but here's some of my thoughts and
questions.

1) We've no source of power other than the main battery and
any extras we carry. We're carrying camping gear so in a
Champ, every ounce is critical. I've got to have radio for
Oshkosh, and can't be certain I can charge anything enroute,
so I'm thinking about going mostly NORDO.

2) No transponder, so Flight Following is out - correct?
Even if I had power for radio.

3) I'm considering some solar cells - sitting on the panel.
I run a 14 volt battery system (radio doesn't like 12
volts). Has anyone else done this - results? The specs
seem to say they run a max of 16+ volts. That's a fully
charged 14 volt battery, but I suspect they put out almost
no current at that voltage, and are designed to supply their
power to a nominal 12 volt system, not nominal 14 volts.

4) Am I crazy to think of taking the Chicago shoreline? I'm
not comfortable with the lake crossing even with LRS, and
the western route around Chicago adds an awful lot of miles,
plus it's less scenic. I'd run GPS handheld during this
stretch to help with the airspace issues, but tentatively
plan to remain NORDO. Would I be likely to get into the
class D's near Chicago along the shoreline for transition
considering I'm slant x-ray, or should I just go
over/around?

5) How would you handle in flight weather to minimize radio
use? We'll carry a pair of cellphones, one that's web
browser enabled. Any good sites for weather that I can get
on the phone?

6) How about some camping at Oshkosh tips or checklists.
I've got the notam.

7) Can I ship stuff to Osh for use there, so I dont have to
carry it? Where do I ship it to?

8) I'm an EAA member, does my wife need to join?

9) Is there a store (Walmart etc. for food, batteries,
gear?) Is it likely I can buy/borrow a hammer there to bang
in the tiedowns. Is there any chance it will be cold -
we're thinking of some sheets and a light cover rather than
sleeping bags - the former are lighter.

10) We want to shoot photos, but we're digital. Any
suggestions on getting our memory stick photos onto CDs?
I'm hoping some kind soul will have a laptop and burner,
then let us read the cards via USB and we'll bring the CD's.

Thanks for any comments.
Old May 25th 05, 05:31 PM
john smith

Mike Johnson wrote:
Wife and I want to go to Oshkosh this year in our '46 Champ.
It's about 850 - 900 miles from the east coast, and we'd
like to camp along the way and after we arrive.
I'd love any suggestions, but here's some of my thoughts and
questions.

Unless you have the extra wing tank or an aft fuselage tank, you are
flying two hour legs, correct?

1) We've no source of power other than the main battery and
any extras we carry. We're carrying camping gear so in a
Champ, every ounce is critical. I've got to have radio for
Oshkosh, and can't be certain I can charge anything enroute,
so I'm thinking about going mostly NORDO.

NORDO is not a problem flying cross country. A handheld COMM with a
battery pack that you can insert disposable batteries in is all you
need. AA's can be purchased most anywhere.

2) No transponder, so Flight Following is out - correct?
Even if I had power for radio.

You don't need flight following, your legs are only going to be two
hours +/-. Crossing the mountains, follow main roads. The whole world is
your landing area in a Champ. Any field or road without powerpoles or
signposts will do.

3) I'm considering some solar cells - sitting on the panel.
I run a 14 volt battery system (radio doesn't like 12
volts). Has anyone else done this - results? The specs
seem to say they run a max of 16+ volts. That's a fully
charged 14 volt battery, but I suspect they put out almost
no current at that voltage, and are designed to supply their
power to a nominal 12 volt system, not nominal 14 volts.

A solar cell charger will work as long as there is clear skies.

4) Am I crazy to think of taking the Chicago shoreline? I'm
not comfortable with the lake crossing even with LRS, and
the western route around Chicago adds an awful lot of miles,
plus it's less scenic. I'd run GPS handheld during this
stretch to help with the airspace issues, but tentatively
plan to remain NORDO. Would I be likely to get into the
class D's near Chicago along the shoreline for transition
considering I'm slant x-ray, or should I just go
over/around?

You can go the shoreline. There is one airport north of Chicago (Racine
WI?) whose CDAS extends out into the water, but you can go around it to
the south and then swing north. You can also fly beneath the CBAS
around/over Chicago then north and follow the DuPage River north to the
highway and on to OSH. Clow International used to have a nice restaurant.

5) How would you handle in flight weather to minimize radio
use? We'll carry a pair of cellphones, one that's web
browser enabled. Any good sites for weather that I can get
on the phone?

Again, you are only flying two hour legs, you can easily check the
weather at each stop and decide on your route and go/no-go options.

6) How about some camping at Oshkosh tips or checklists.
I've got the notam.

See Rick Durden's archived columns on www.avweb.com.
Whith the Champ, you have several options for camping, Vintage Aircraft
or North 40. Vintage puts you in with one nice bunch of people, North 40
puts you in with a different bunch of nice people. If you camp on the
north side of R9/27, you are within a half-mile walk of multiple stores
and restaurants (food, supplies... Pick N' Save groceries, Target, etc)

7) Can I ship stuff to Osh for use there, so I dont have to
carry it? Where do I ship it to?

Don't have personal knowledge about that.

8) I'm an EAA member, does my wife need to join?

No, you can purchase additional passes for family members at the same
rate that you pay.

9) Is there a store (Walmart etc. for food, batteries,
gear?) Is it likely I can buy/borrow a hammer there to bang
in the tiedowns. Is there any chance it will be cold -
we're thinking of some sheets and a light cover rather than
sleeping bags - the former are lighter.

See #6 above. WalMart moved to a superstore two-miles away two years
ago. There was a rumor that you can get a bus to and from the new store.
Target gets daily shipments to replenish their camping supplies every
night during AirVenture. Borrowing a hammer shouldn't be a problem. Plan
on weather ranging from 90's and humid to 30's and wet (all in the same
day). Options are fleece sleeping bag/down comforter or lightweight down
bags. A sleeping pad is a necessity. Last year the temperatures dipped
into the upper-30's overnight for a couple of days.

10) We want to shoot photos, but we're digital. Any
suggestions on getting our memory stick photos onto CDs?
I'm hoping some kind soul will have a laptop and burner,
then let us read the cards via USB and we'll bring the CD's.

I am waiting to see if Kodak offers such a service this year. There is
certainly enough demand for it. There are enough laptops on the field,
it is finding someone with a card reader attached that could be a challenge.
Old May 25th 05, 06:37 PM
Blanche Cohen

Mike Johnson wrote:
6) How about some camping at Oshkosh tips or checklists.
I've got the notam.

North 40 or you are likely eligible for the showplane category.

7) Can I ship stuff to Osh for use there, so I dont have to
carry it? Where do I ship it to?

Of course! IIRC either FedEx or UPS has a temp office on the
grounds to ship stuff out! As for the incoming, someone around
here know the answer to that?

8) I'm an EAA member, does my wife need to join?

Don't think so. Is WI a community-property state? (*chortle*) but
I'm not sure she gets the discount on admittance to the show grounds
itself. Someone know the answer?

9) Is there a store (Walmart etc. for food, batteries,
gear?) Is it likely I can buy/borrow a hammer there to bang
in the tiedowns. Is there any chance it will be cold -
we're thinking of some sheets and a light cover rather than
sleeping bags - the former are lighter.

Yes, but not easy walking distance anymore (it moved).
Yup.
Yup. Alternates between hot & humid and chilling & storming rain.
Ship the sleeping bags. Or buy the cheap junk at Walmart and
donate it to a local charity before you leave.

10) We want to shoot photos, but we're digital. Any
suggestions on getting our memory stick photos onto CDs?
I'm hoping some kind soul will have a laptop and burner,
then let us read the cards via USB and we'll bring the CD's.

Kinko's (not in walking distance, sorry) has all this. The
problem is power. There's not much installed on the grounds.
But with how-many-thousands-of-people there will be equipment,
just a case of trying to find it.

Mike, email me off-list and I'll provide more solutions.

Old May 25th 05, 07:47 PM
Montblack

("Mike Johnson" wrote)
Wife and I want to go to Oshkosh this year in our '46 Champ.
It's about 850 - 900 miles from the east coast, and we'd
like to camp along the way and after we arrive.

I'd love any suggestions, but here's some of my thoughts and
questions.

(My N40 experience)

Shower building in the N40 camping area has rows of outlets (with shelves)
for recharging "stuff".

Shower shoes - those Nike rubber things are great.

Quart (or gallon) zip-lock freezer baggie for all of your shower/bathroom
items. Works for me.

N40 is within walking distance of restaurants, bars w/good food, groceries,
etc.

Your plane will stand out a little more in the N40. In Vintage it's just
another 46' Champ :-)

N40 Camping - you're right on the East/West runway. Fun.

Vintage Camping has more of a camping feel to it - nice also.

Small LED, or penlight, for bathroom trips at night.

Folding chairs - a must. The REAL air show starts at 6:30 pm every night.

Water bottles. FREE water refills - spigots everywhere.

An Auto Show convention type bag to carry your stuff in. Water bottles,
handouts, brochures, trinkets, snacks, all get dropped into my plastic
convention bag - Saturn handed out good ones with hard plastic handles.

Small umbrella an option - last year I sat out some rain under a DC-3 wing.
I'm a no umbrella guy.

Notepad w/pencil holder - trying to figure out what you saw, two weeks later
when organizing your photos, might be difficult without good notes.

Bring an appetite ..Wednesday night (3rd annual?) rec.aviation N40 party -
find Jay's plane. We plan for about 40 people ...after the air show.

Most of all, IMHO, think of Oshkosh as an interesting vacation - not an
outdoor convention where you must get to every exhibit. Relax, have fun,
explore, and enjoy being surrounded by friends and airplanes for a week.

Montblack

Old May 25th 05, 09:09 PM
Mike Johnson

john smith wrote:

Unless you have the extra wing tank or an aft fuselage tank, you are
flying two hour legs, correct?

13 gallons at 4 gph - I'd call that a "Yep."

You can go the shoreline. There is one airport north of Chicago (Racine
WI?) whose CDAS extends out into the water, but you can go around it to
the south and then swing north. You can also fly beneath the CBAS
around/over Chicago then north and follow the DuPage River north to the
highway and on to OSH. Clow International used to have a nice restaurant.

It looks like I'd cross Gary CDAS between 3100' and 3600,
below 3000' within 15 nm of ORD, follow shoreline until
greater than 15 nm of ORD, then west of Waukegan or over it
between 3200' and 3600' and on to Oshkosh.

Vintage puts you in with one nice bunch of people, North 40
puts you in with a different bunch of nice people. If you camp on the
north side of R9/27, you are within a half-mile walk of multiple stores
and restaurants (food, supplies... Pick N' Save groceries, Target, etc)

I'd planned to camp Vintage, but it looks like the North 40
might have some advantages. Where is Vintage located?

I am waiting to see if Kodak offers such a service this year. There is
certainly enough demand for it. There are enough laptops on the field,
it is finding someone with a card reader attached that could be a challenge.

I figured I'd bring the USB reader and CD's, then all I'd
need is someone with the burner and a USB port.

Thanks for the tips.
Old May 25th 05, 11:01 PM
George Patterson

Mike Johnson wrote:

I'd planned to camp Vintage, but it looks like the North 40
might have some advantages. Where is Vintage located?

It starts south of the tower about 200 yards and runs south from there. Very
close to the exhibits and the "Theater in the Woods", but you'd really want to
do your shopping when the trams are still running. Take a tram to the north gate
and a bus to the fence near "Friar Tuck's", and the shopping center is about 1/4
mile walk through the fence.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 25th 05, 11:14 PM
Dave S

Blanche Cohen wrote:

Of course! IIRC either FedEx or UPS has a temp office on the
grounds to ship stuff out! As for the incoming, someone around
here know the answer to that?

I am putting together a powerpoint presentation for first timers goin to
OSH.. and as of last week, the postal address for the on-field Post
Office was not listed on the OSH website. It should be under "support
services" near the bottom. www.airventure.com

10) We want to shoot photos, but we're digital. Any
suggestions on getting our memory stick photos onto CDs?
I'm hoping some kind soul will have a laptop and burner,
then let us read the cards via USB and we'll bring the CD's.

Just get BIG memory cards, and dont worry about downloads til you get
back.. a 256k card on low res (650 mb or so) can hold 600 pics on my
cam. either get a BIG card/stick or get several small ones.

Dave

Old May 25th 05, 11:34 PM
Rob

Dave S wrote:
10) We want to shoot photos, but we're digital. Any
suggestions on getting our memory stick photos onto CDs?
I'm hoping some kind soul will have a laptop and burner,
then let us read the cards via USB and we'll bring the CD's.

Just get BIG memory cards, and dont worry about downloads til you get
back.. a 256k card on low res (650 mb or so) can hold 600 pics on my
cam. either get a BIG card/stick or get several small ones.

There's an entrepreneurial opportunity here for someone to rent a small
space in one of the exhibit halls and equip it like a Kinko's: Color
printouts, dump your images off a memory card to a CD-ROM, sell memory
cards, public wi-fi access, ...

-R

Old May 26th 05, 03:05 AM
Jay Honeck

There's an entrepreneurial opportunity here for someone to rent a small
space in one of the exhibit halls and equip it like a Kinko's: Color
printouts, dump your images off a memory card to a CD-ROM

It's already being done.

The guys in one of the smaller type-buildings ("Antique/Classic" methinks)
have been transferring digital pix to CD-Rom for $5 bucks for the last
several years.

It's very much worth doing, and it helps a good cause, too.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 26th 05, 03:11 AM
Margy

Mike Johnson wrote:
etc)

I'd planned to camp Vintage, but it looks like the North 40
might have some advantages. Where is Vintage located?

You want to camp in Vintage!!!!! It's a hell of a walk to the "business
end" of the field, but it's where the action is! Actually, we camped
in the North 40 for a number of years and we've been in Vintage for
about 10 and vintage is much more social, you can also watch the airshow
from your plane. Of course that's if you get there EARLY. If you get
there late you are in the section fondly know as Fond du Lac. Not
really that far south, but it is fairly far. Of course the later you
are in the North 40 the closer to Friar Tuck's.

Now, if you want to spend any time volunteering and you are in Vintage,
come on over to the Ops shack at 9 am or 1pm any day for your briefing.
You can do anything from parking planes to running the ops shack!
Bring closed toe shoes. If you volunteer to patrol the flight line
during the airshow you get to sit in the grass 20 feet ahead of the crowds!

I am waiting to see if Kodak offers such a service this year. There is
certainly enough demand for it. There are enough laptops on the field,
it is finding someone with a card reader attached that could be a challenge.

I figured I'd bring the USB reader and CD's, then all I'd
need is someone with the burner and a USB port.

Remind me and I'll bring the laptop. But, then you'd have to be in
Vintage ....

Thanks for the tips.

Margy