The Boeing Triple 7

Old May 26th 05, 09:32 AM
G. Sylvester

Jay Honeck wrote:
Did you take a trip to somewhere in the 777?

Chicago-Seattle-Denver-Chicago.

did you trade-in the pathfinder? ;-)

Gerald

Old May 26th 05, 09:37 AM
G. Sylvester

Chris wrote:
The 777 is not that good.

in coach it is abysmal (sp?). It is absolutely great
in business. Never been in first. Damn I miss being
a 1K. Although now I fly myself much of the time but
on the bad side don't travel that much.

The A330 on the other hand is neat. They go one better than gps moving map
and have two camera views available. The first looks down giving a view
directly beneath the plane.

the interiors of most commercial aircraft are determined
by the airline. One airline's 777 might be great inside
and the other horrible. Just depends on the airline.

The other give a pilots view. Its pretty cool watching the landing in real
time.

agreed. They had this on a SAS flight with the camera on the nose
wheel. Pretty cool. I wonder what the passengers reaction would
be on an approach with a nasty crosswind to Cat I minimums.

Gerald
Old May 26th 05, 10:25 AM
Hilton

Peter Duniho wrote:
[zap]
Note that nowhere in that chain of events is the design of the jet
pertinent. The only way I can see for a jet to have "a reputation for

being
very dry" is for the jet to be equipped with a DEhumidifier. Which, of
course, they aren't.

Aren't you forgetting the pressurization, heating, and cooling systems?

Hilton

Old May 26th 05, 12:52 PM
Jay Honeck

Did you get a chance to peek in the flight deck?

Nah, Dean -- that door never opened.

:-(
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 26th 05, 12:56 PM
Jay Honeck

I forgot to include a link to some photos from my days working on the
777. They are on my website at http://www.razorsedgesoft.com/777.htm

That's cool!

What sorts of, er, "surplus" displays do you have in *your* plane now, Dean?

;-)
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 26th 05, 01:50 PM
Dave S

Aren't you forgetting the pressurization, heating, and cooling systems?

Hilton

Probably not. Bleed air is hot and dry. It goes through air handlers
that make it cool and dry. It still does not pick up moisture in this
process. It then goes into the cabin, dessicates your passenger, then
escapes through existing leaks in the pressure vessel, or through
outflow valves.

Also, at altitude, the system is DEFINITELY in the heat mode, as the
outside air temp is well below 0*F.

The longer you fly, the drier you get. Again, to agree, saying a
particular plane is drier is peculiar. The only thing I can think that
would explain that is IF the amount of air being exchanged is greater
than in comparison to other aircraft. (i.e. greater leak out, so greater
flow in of dry air, which then escapes sooner, increasing the "dry"
effect).

A benefit (if this indeed exists) is that the air is less stale/more
fresh and perhaps less likely to contribute to airborne disease
transmission.. but that is pure speculation on my part.

Dave

Old May 26th 05, 02:36 PM
Paul kgyy

The 777 is awesome for its size but slow for international trips - flew
on one to England a couple years ago and en route saw a 747 overhauling
us easily - might have cut an hour off the travel time.

Old May 26th 05, 02:46 PM
Jay Honeck

The 777 is awesome for its size but slow for international trips - flew
on one to England a couple years ago and en route saw a 747 overhauling
us easily - might have cut an hour off the travel time.

???

Boeing lists the cruising speed for both the 777 and 747 as .84 mach at
35,000 feet.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old May 26th 05, 02:47 PM

Hi Jay,

Just in a club right now... one of these days I hope to own an
airplane! I have a friend with an RV-6, and another with a series 7
Kitfox. I am planning on developing a little panel mount moving map
system that I am going to put in their planes. I may even put it out
to the experimental marketplace as a product...

Dean

Old May 26th 05, 02:50 PM

Yep, this is true... I suspect that he was just in a situation where
the 747 captain was trying to make up time at the expense of fuel
economy. Airliners can go faster than its typical cruise speed, but
you pay for it in higher fuel burn. There is a sweet spot for long
distance cruise, and most airlines operate at that point.

Dean