The Boeing Triple 7

Old May 26th 05, 03:57 PM
Paul kgyy

Well, IIRC, it was a Lufthansa 747 overhauling an American 777, so
maybe it was a matter of economics. I think it was in the days when
American was removing olives from the salads to save money.

Old May 26th 05, 04:00 PM
Dylan Smith

In article Cg5le.7245$PS3.6886@attbi_s22, Jay Honeck wrote:
little video screens in the seat backs, I was absolutely astounded at the
comfort and ride of this plane.

BA are now using them on the London - Houston run (they used to use
B747-400s on this route). Continental are using them on the same run
(they were using the DC10-10).

Out of these, the DC10 was by far the worst (but also the oldest). I'm
not a fan of the 2+5+2 seating arrangement - always travelling alone
means they put me in the middle of that bay of 5, usually between two
screaming children. (I can usually get a non-middle-seat on BA though,
which helps). The B747 wasn't bad, but the seats still felt like
concrete after 4 hours. The 777 is the only one that I can be
comfortable in the whole trip.

Last time I went to Houston I'd done something aggravating to my lower
back. The B777 seat was the *only* seat I'd sat in for at least a month
where I could be comfortable in. I was dreading the airline flight but
it ended up being the only time I had managed to sit down and not be in
pain for hours.

--
Dylan Smith, Castletown, Isle of Man
Flying: http://www.dylansmith.net
Old May 26th 05, 04:46 PM
George Patterson

Peter Duniho wrote:

The only way I can see for a jet to have "a reputation for being
very dry" is for the jet to be equipped with a DEhumidifier. Which, of
course, they aren't.

Both heating and air conditioning systems are dehumidifiers.

George Patterson
"Naked" means you ain't got no clothes on; "nekkid" means you ain't got
no clothes on - and are up to somethin'.
Old May 26th 05, 04:48 PM
George Patterson

Dave S wrote:

Again, to agree, saying a
particular plane is drier is peculiar. The only thing I can think that
would explain that is IF the amount of air being exchanged is greater
than in comparison to other aircraft. (i.e. greater leak out, so greater
flow in of dry air, which then escapes sooner, increasing the "dry"
effect).

Perhaps some aircraft are equipped with humidifiers for the inside air?

Old May 26th 05, 05:34 PM
Allen

"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...
I think it was in the days when American was removing olives from the
salads to save money.

And cutting their flight attendant's pay while giving their executives free
Mercedes cars.

Allen

Old May 26th 05, 05:58 PM
William W. Plummer

Allen wrote:
"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think it was in the days when American was removing olives from the
salads to save money.

And cutting their flight attendant's pay while giving their executives free
Mercedes cars.

The attendants are free to find other employment.
Old May 26th 05, 06:27 PM
Peter Duniho

"Hilton" wrote in message
k.net...
Aren't you forgetting the pressurization, heating, and cooling systems?

No, I'm not. At what point in those systems would your hypothetical
dehumidifier exist? Why would it exist?

Old May 26th 05, 06:28 PM
Peter Duniho

"George Patterson" wrote in message
Perhaps some aircraft are equipped with humidifiers for the inside air?

A humidifier would require the carriage of water; beyond that already
required for the galley and lavatories, of course.

I'm not aware of any jet with a humidifier. Certainly, my friend at Boeing
claims that no commonly used commercial airliner has a humidifier.

Pete

Old May 26th 05, 06:34 PM
Matt Barrow

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
Allen wrote:
"Paul kgyy" wrote in message
oups.com...

I think it was in the days when American was removing olives from the
salads to save money.

And cutting their flight attendant's pay while giving their executives

free
Mercedes cars.

The attendants are free to find other employment.

A good executive can save a dying company (Nelson at UPS, Louis-Dreyfus at
Adidas, Bethune at Continental, Bonsignore at Honeywell, Welch at GE...),
attendants can only **** up a company -- doing their job is "normal". MOF,
most unions have done much, through work restrictions, to kill entire
industries, let alone single companies.

And, yes, even being honest, an executive can **** up a company royally (HP,
Diebold, Apple, DEC...)

Old May 26th 05, 06:40 PM
Allen

"William W. Plummer" wrote in message
oups.com...

Allen wrote:
And cutting their flight attendant's pay while giving their executives
free Mercedes cars.

The attendants are free to find other employment.

That's correct! Who would want to work for a company that is crying poverty
and warning it's employee's that if they do not give wage concessions the
company will go bankrupt, then turn around and in the same month give away a
million dollars worth of cars (to suits who each are paid what 30 flight
attendants make). Sounds a lot like Enron conduct to me.

Allen