Got a problem with my wooden spar.

Old June 4th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

Default Got a problem with my wooden spar.

I was working on one wing when the other wing (and I'm guessing)
vibrated of the supports onto the concrete. It broke the end rib which
I will have to build a new one. but it also broke one of the two 3/4 x
3/4 parts for the rear spar 12" from the end. Any ideas on how to fix
this? I'm thinking it's going to take cutting the broken part out in a
scarf style cut and replacing with a scarf joint, then sistering
another part onto the inside. Then just for the heck of it T-88 a
piece of ply across both parts at the joint. Anyone want to comment?
Lou
Old June 4th 08, 02:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
351DP

It sounds like you have the right idea, AC43 gives good guidence, a
good repair job can potentially be stronger than the original stock

See Page 1-15 of the link
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99c827db9baac81b86256b4500596c4e/$FILE/Chapter%2001.pdf

Doug

Old June 4th 08, 07:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"351DP" wrote in message
It sounds like you have the right idea, AC43 gives good guidence, a
good repair job can potentially be stronger than the original stock

See Page 1-15 of the link
http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/0/99c827db9baac81b86256b4500596c4e/$FILE/Chapter%2001.pdf

Yep, you can't go wrong following AC-43.

I would add one caution, though. (to the OP)

Be careful about beefing the joint up with a bunch of doublers and stuff.
You could make that area so strong that it creates a stressed area where the
repair ends. Out towards the tip, that is likely to not be much of a
problem, as if it were closer to the middle or root of the wing, but it
still is worth thinking about.
--
Jim in NC

Old June 4th 08, 01:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Lou

http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory...ry/rgAdvisoryC...

Yep, you can't go wrong following AC-43.

I would add one caution, though. (to the OP)

Be careful about beefing the joint up with a bunch of doublers and stuff.
You could make that area so strong that it creates a stressed area where the
repair ends. Out towards the tip, that is likely to not be much of a
problem, as if it were closer to the middle or root of the wing, but it
still is worth thinking about.
--
Jim in NC

Thanks guys, it helps to know your on the right track.
Lou

Wooden gliders Chris Davison Soaring 6 March 22nd 07 03:02 PM
Wooden Propellers Danny Deger Piloting 11 March 4th 07 11:17 AM
Wooden propellor again G0MRL Aviation Marketplace 1 March 1st 06 06:22 PM
Wooden Notes [email protected] Home Built 22 January 28th 06 11:29 PM
Wooden Propellers Dick Petersen Home Built 5 November 13th 03 01:41 AM