Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

Old November 4th 18, 12:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

Default Refinishing Ventus b Fuselage

On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 3:25:43 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Friday, November 2, 2018 at 7:59:12 AM UTC-7, Dan Marotta wrote:
It appears that your fuselage stand does not have any sort of rollers or
bearings to make spinning the fuselage easy.Â* How do you do it?Â* Do you
have an assistant lift the nose while you rotate at the ring?

Curious...

On 11/1/2018 6:48 PM, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, October 27, 2018 at 4:35:37 PM UTC-7, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Friday, October 26, 2018 at 8:36:12 AM UTC-7, Charlie M. (UH & 002 owner/pilot) wrote:
"Bam....be.......".
Yes, I have hit a deer at about 50MPH, amazing the damage that can be done. :-(
Last 2 coats of Vinyl ester primer sand with 180g next. The reason for so many coats of fairing primer and primer is to sand to make sure the surface is flat with no flaws. If you don't do this the finish with not be good and all the defects will show at the finish coat. Next sanding with P180.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Last coat of JP202 Primer, tomorrow sand with P320, then top coat with JAU Acrylic Urethane.

--
Dan, 5J

Two wheels in the bottom stand ring rolls on them.

It is white again 3 coats JAU Acrylic Urethane.

Old November 4th 18, 07:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fraser Wilson[_2_]

Last 2 coats of Vinyl ester primer sand with 180g next. The
reason for so many coats of fairing primer and primer is to sand to
make sure the surface is flat with no flaws. If you don't do this
the finish with not be good and all the defects will show at the
finish coat. Next sanding with P180.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Last coat of JP202 Primer, tomorrow sand with P320, then

top coat with JAU Acrylic

I’m not saying the JP202 will be a problem but my experience of a
similar high build primer was that it suffered significant blistering
when only about 5 years old. It’s not really a problem for the auto
boys because who keeps a car that long?

The issue is the filling medium used in the primer;- Talc or chalk
are bad;- water enters the plastic due to fick’s diffusion where it
mixes with the chalk = carbolic acid which neutralises by drawing
in more water + generating pressure (osmosis) which pushes up a
blister.

As a result of this I currently would fill surface with chemically
inert filled (alumina/kaolin) epoxy or polyester, untill defect free
and then use a standard white 2 part primer.

Fraser

Old November 4th 18, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Sunday, November 4, 2018 at 12:00:05 AM UTC-7, Fraser Wilson wrote:
[...]

Fraser,

The last time I used this process was 17 years ago on my ventus wings. Since then the glider has been tied out in the sun and weather every summer April thru October. The wings except for some chips and dings are still in excellent shape.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 4th 18, 04:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I’m not saying the JP202 will be a problem but my experience of a
similar high build primer was that it suffered significant blistering
when only about 5 years old. It’s not really a problem for the auto
boys because who keeps a car that long?

The issue is the filling medium used in the primer;- Talc or chalk
are bad;- water enters the plastic due to fick’s diffusion where it
mixes with the chalk = carbolic acid which neutralises by drawing
in more water + generating pressure (osmosis) which pushes up a
blister.

As a result of this I currently would fill surface with chemically
inert filled (alumina/kaolin) epoxy or polyester, untill defect free
and then use a standard white 2 part primer.

Fraser

So what chemically inert primer would YOU use?
Old November 11th 18, 08:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Seccombe

Richard,

How did you determine to use the aft wing locating pin bearings for mounting on your rotisserie? I'm just at that stage in building one for my Ventus.
Old November 11th 18, 03:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, November 10, 2018 at 11:45:51 PM UTC-8, Robert Seccombe wrote:
Richard,

How did you determine to use the aft wing locating pin bearings for mounting on your rotisserie? I'm just at that stage in building one for my Ventus.

It was narrower than the front and it make the tail lighter. You do have to adjust the tail height to rotate the fuselage. A rope to the ceiling makes this easier.

Richard
www.craggyaero.com
Old November 14th 18, 01:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Youngblood

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 9:16:35 PM UTC-4, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
Pictures and process for refinishing a ventus b fuselage. Work in progress pictures and process as work is completed.

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Nice work, looks like you are well prepared.
Old December 1st 18, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Charlie Quebec

Ain’t that the truth Mark M, just finished sanding and buffing my DG200-17C all over, about 50 hours to get the original Schaballac gelcoat back to looking new,
not bad for a glider made in 1980 to still have original gel in perfect condition.
Old December 2nd 18, 01:14 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Richard Pfiffner[_2_]

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 1:57:51 PM UTC-8, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Ain’t that the truth Mark M, just finished sanding and buffing my DG200-17C all over, about 50 hours to get the original Schaballac gelcoat back to looking new,
not bad for a glider made in 1980 to still have original gel in perfect condition.

All the work and you have drip. What to do?

Old December 2nd 18, 03:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 4:14:07 PM UTC-8, Richard Pfiffner wrote:
On Saturday, December 1, 2018 at 1:57:51 PM UTC-8, Charlie Quebec wrote:
Ain’t that the truth Mark M, just finished sanding and buffing my DG200-17C all over, about 50 hours to get the original Schaballac gelcoat back to looking new,
not bad for a glider made in 1980 to still have original gel in perfect condition.

All the work and you have drip. What to do?

http://www.craggyaero.com/ventus.htm

Richard
www.craggyaero.com

Stop painting and deal with installing an ADS-B Out system. The change will make sanding seem pleasurable. :-)

refinishing Ventus 2cm- wing profile [email protected] Soaring 20 November 6th 11 01:15 AM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 27th 05 05:50 PM
refinishing Stig Pedersen Soaring 1 November 26th 05 10:16 PM
Second speaker in Ventus 2b/c fuselage [email protected] Soaring 3 September 14th 05 05:41 PM
REFINISHING Ventus B Soaring 32 December 3rd 03 11:14 PM