Anyone retired from a career and became gainfully employed within the aviation field?

Old September 12th 03, 08:55 PM
Jack Allison

Default Anyone retired from a career and became gainfully employed within the aviation field?

Anyone out there who retired from their non-aviation career (as in you
didn't get paid to fly) and became a CFI or commercially rated pilot? I'd
be interested in your experience, either positive or negative and which
ratings you obtained along the way.

I'm looking 12+ years down the road when I retire from the high-tech rat
race and considering options for part time work having something to do with
flying. I'm more interested in staying active within aviation and working
more on my own terms than making a living. Any income would be (very
little) gravy and that's ok.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

you will always long to return"
- Leonardo Da Vinci

Old September 12th 03, 09:47 PM
Bob Gardner

My non-aviation career was in the Coast Guard....you will find a lot of
ex-military folks working in the aviation business. By the time I retired I
had my commercial, instrument, CFI, and MEL (there was no MEI at the
time...I was grandfathered). If I hadn't had the CG pension to help out, I
couldn't have lived on what I made as an instructor.

Bob Gardner

Old September 13th 03, 01:20 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Jack Allison wrote:

Anyone out there who retired from their non-aviation career (as in you
didn't get paid to fly) and became a CFI or commercially rated pilot?

Check http://home.att.net/~jm.price .

George Patterson
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something that cannot
be learned any other way. Samuel Clemens
Old September 13th 03, 02:30 AM
C J Campbell

I syndicated real estate and owned a construction company for many years. I
retired about four years ago and I have been having a ball teaching flying.

Old September 13th 03, 03:36 AM
sky172

My instructor was a police officer for 12-13 years, retired, learned to fly,
taught me flying and now at 35 he's a pilot for American Eagle.
I'm jelous

Old September 13th 03, 05:06 AM
K. Ari Krupnikov

"Highfllyer" writes:

I started "Highflight Aviation Services" as a retirement business. I am an
emeritus from Southern Illinois University.

Highflyer

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
Anyone out there who retired from their non-aviation career (as in you
didn't get paid to fly)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Highflyer, I don't think your case is quite what Jack had in mind. You
were active in aviation business for many years, including charter
flying, weren't you?

Ari.
Old September 13th 03, 08:40 PM
Dudley Henriques

"Jack Allison" wrote in message
Anyone out there who retired from their non-aviation career (as in you
didn't get paid to fly) and became a CFI or commercially rated pilot? I'd
be interested in your experience, either positive or negative and which
ratings you obtained along the way.

I'm looking 12+ years down the road when I retire from the high-tech rat
race and considering options for part time work having something to do

with
flying. I'm more interested in staying active within aviation and working
more on my own terms than making a living. Any income would be (very
little) gravy and that's ok.

--
Jack Allison
PP-ASEL

I retired from active flying professionally and have remained active as a
consultant to various interests within the professional civilian and
military aviation communities.
I believe the general answer to remaining active on my level at least is in
being highly specialized in your field. Many have retired and gone into
private business where they have been extremely successful. Others have
tried to remain in their fields with mixed results. I honestly believe the
question's answer is so specifically individualized that a total general
answer is almost impossible.
Dudley Henriques
International Fighter Pilots Fellowship
Commercial Pilot/CFI